• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 | Stanley Cup Final | (C3) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (N4) Montreal Canadiens

Phil

Who wins?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

Seems like there's a few ways to do it. Require a salary cap to be adhered to during the playoffs? Require a number of games played in the regular season to qualify for playoff play? Significantly reduce the amount of LTIR pool that exists when shelving a player long term (something less than a dollar for dollar cushion to replace who you lose)?

I guess you could just say a team has to remain cap compliant in the playoffs. If you have to be cap compliant in game 81, I don’t see why you don’t have to be in game 82+

Seems pretty reasonable

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cap compliant is based on 82 games, can’t just have some teams compliant for 86 games and some teams compliant for 106 games. Some teams played short handed during the season bc they would have been over the cap by season end.

Best solution would probably be that a player has to play like 5 regular season games to be eligible for the playoffs if they were on LTIR. 5 games would give the player/team about 1.5 weeks to get ready for the playoffs if the player was out the full season with an “injury”

TB mayor wants the Lightning to lose tonight so they can win on home ice. WTF!!!! Cocky sonofa…..would be nothing better right now if TB somehow chokes this series away. Secondary would be TB lose tonight, then MTL wins Game 5 in TB. Can’t take shit for granted.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Seems like there's a few ways to do it. Require a salary cap to be adhered to during the playoffs? Require a number of games played in the regular season to qualify for playoff play? Significantly reduce the amount of LTIR pool that exists when shelving a player long term (something less than a dollar for dollar cushion to replace who you lose)?

Honestly, this isn't the first time we've seen a team abuse the LTIR system - the Blackhawks did it in 2015 too.

The more and more I think it over, the more I think the cap has too many loopholes because it has insane rigidity and will, I think, outlive its usefulness within 3 years. Tampa showed us that this year, and I'm CERTAIN we're going to see Vegas, the Islanders, Tampa, and a few other teams embrace sketch solutions over the next year or two.

Especially with the massive new TV deals, the NHL should be focused on maximizing the product footprint and not having artificial limiters on the success of nationally recognizable teams and talent at the expense of and in the name of keeping Arizona and Ottawa relevant. This should be a floor, soft cap, luxury tax line 1, luxury tax line 2 sort of thing.