• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 | NDSR | (N3) Winnipeg Jets vs. (N4) Montreal Canadiens

Who Wins?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Jets in 4
    • Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This is not an interference call, so I don't know why you keep talking about the timing of the hit.

It is a charging call. A charge occurred. You can disagree with the rule book all you want, but it is what it is. This hit was certainly more "violent" than your run of the mill body check or open ice hit. The "violence" was caused, in part, by the distance Scheifele traveled to make the hit. Therefore, it is a charge.

And yes, we ask referees to make judgment calls all the time, for better or worse. DOPS also makes those judgment calls on a regular basis.

I disagree that he wasn't making a hockey play. In my opinion, he was trying to prevent a goal from being scored.

I understand that you (and the referees) deem it a charge because it happened after the play, and was intended to injure.

If I thought it happened after the play, I would agree with you that it is a charge.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the guy literally skated 200 ft to deliver a hit. if that's not a charge, i dont know what is

No, he didn't. He skated about 150 feet to aggressively back check on a play going the other way and then coasted with that gained speed for like the final 20 feet in order to hit Evans.

No, he didn't. He skated about 150 feet to aggressively back check on a play going the other way and then coasted with that gained speed for like the final 20 feet in order to hit Evans.

so you're saying its not a charge?

he was not back checking, Evans was nowhere near him when he skated back from his own red line

so you're saying its not a charge?

he was not back checking, Evans was nowhere near him when he skated back from his own red line

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that he didn't "literally skate 200 feet to deliver a hit."

That suggestion is dispelled easily by watching the isolated camera footage of Scheifele on the play, who literally dips his head down for a solid few seconds — an incredibly odd behavior if you're targeting someone for a hit, but entirely appropriate if you're busting your ass to put everything into your stride to get up the ice in a back check.

Did the charging rule previously list "stride"? Or am I thinking of the interpretation?

I've always looked at the strides prior to contact.

That late in the game, yes, give him a charge, get him out of the game. but it's one of those "you guys look like youre going to fight, and I have a date. 10min misconducts, go home"

the guy literally skated 200 ft to deliver a hit. if that's not a charge, i dont know what is
He skated 200 ft to back check, he delivered a hit at the end of that skate.

I don't know how you could possibly assume that when he started at the other team's goal line his intent was to deliver a hit. He could not foresee that Evans was going to come around the net with the puck.

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that he didn't "literally skate 200 feet to deliver a hit."

That suggestion is dispelled easily by watching the isolated camera footage of Scheifele on the play, who literally dips his head down for a solid few seconds — an incredibly odd behavior if you're targeting someone for a hit, but entirely appropriate if you're busting your ass to put everything into your stride to get up the ice in a back check.

so he literally skated 150 feet. does it change anything?

that is your subjective view of it, which could be wrong. My view is that he charged Evans from his own red line.

He skated 200 ft to back check, he delivered a hit at the end of that skate.

I don't know how you could possibly assume that when he started at the other team's goal line his intent was to deliver a hit. He could not foresee that Evans was going to come around the net with the puck.

how can you possibly assume that he started at the other team's goal line to not deliver a hit? Why was he going on the side of the net where the hit occurred then? He wasnt putting on the breaks 3 feet in front of the boards. He knew what he was doing when he charged Evans

Did the charging rule previously list "stride"? Or am I thinking of the interpretation?

I've always looked at the strides prior to contact.

Probably one of these interpretation things that changed over time, but all the pundits, old-time fans and former players keep talking about how it previously was, because no one ever really announced the change.

Also strides are apparently mentioned in the rules for College/youth hockey in the US.

• Like 1

"Well, hopefully the young man is going to be all right," Winnipeg coach Paul Maurice said. "It's such a highly unusual play because you're backchecking back to kill an empty-net play, you're coming full speed. When Mark stopped skating, he kept his arms in. It's a heavy, heavy hit. There's no doubt about that. I'm sure the League will have its opinion."

https://www.nhl.com/news/montreal-canadiens-jake-evans-leaves-game-1-on-stretcher/c-325155020

My initial thought, and I have heard this echoed by Anson Carter and others, is why didn't he play the puck? His best chance would have been not to break stride, perhaps dive, and go for the puck with his stick. He would have gotten there sooner. A charge is judged, in addition to strides, by whether you go for the puck when its available.

My initial thought, and I have heard this echoed by Anson Carter and others, is why didn't he play the puck? His best chance would have been not to break stride, perhaps dive, and go for the puck with his stick. He would have gotten there sooner. A charge is judged, in addition to strides, by whether you go for the puck when its available.

At best, he hits it into his own net. He's not a stationary dman than can clear the puck to the corner, he's moving, towards the goal. At best, he might be able to clear the puck while the crossbar decapitates him.

Am shocked at the length of this one, not that I have a problem with it, but just that they continue to apply these things so inconsistently

Public outcry and publicity probably resulted in an extra game or 4.