• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Adam Fox is Clear Norris Winner in Athletic's NHL Awards for the 2020-21 Season

Flynn

Norris Trophy winner?

Given to the defenseman who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position. Voted on by the PHWA.

[table=width: 500, class: grid, align: left]

[tr]

[td]Player[/td]

[td]Votes[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Adam Fox[/td]

[td]21[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Cale Makar[/td]

[td]7[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Victor Hedman[/td]

[td]6[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Dougie Hamilton[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Charlie McAvoy, Darnell Nurse and Shea Theodore also received votes.

There were simply far too many strong choices this season to give Victor Hedman a reputation win, as sophomores Adam Fox and Cale Makar lead the voting. What does a player need to do to be in consideration for the Norris Trophy? Well, that depends on who you ask.

When Pierre LeBrun asked NHL coaches to weigh in on the Norris, they put Hedman as No. 1, followed by Fox and Makar.

https://theathletic.com/2608630/2021/05/25/nhl-awards-for-the-2020-21-season-mcdavid-kaprizov-are-clear-winners-but-new-faces-are-up-for-hardware/

--

Fox with a large margin here.

When Pierre LeBrun asked NHL coaches to weigh in on the Norris, they put Hedman as No. 1, followed by Fox and Makar.

i think they put Hedman as #1 because every coach would love to have him on their team right now for his overall play. But Fox has better offensive numbers

I have zero doubts coaches far and wide would take Hedman #1.. I just think the writers are much bigger consumers of metrics, that helps Fox in a big way.

I never thought he'd win.. But the more these guys look at underlying statistics, his case gets better and better..

No matter what the vote ends up looking like, I think we are in damn fine shape

I have zero doubts coaches far and wide would take Hedman #1.. I just think the writers are much bigger consumers of metrics, that helps Fox in a big way.

I never thought he'd win.. But the more these guys look at underlying statistics, his case gets better and better..

No matter what the vote ends up looking like, I think we are in damn fine shape

He's going to cost us arm and a leg. Not sure how we can afford all these contracts

given the current cap hold i'd almost look into locking him into something sooner rather than later.

I think he's a RFA after next season, Slobby....I'm thinking they might go the way of some type of 2 or 3 year bridge deal before they go uptown with Fox. The bridge deal could give them some time to unload Trouba's contract when it becomes a modified NMC.

a Norris trophy winner wont take any kind of a bridge deal. He'd want to get paid and rightfully so

Even as a RFA, Simon?

I hear your point, I would wanna get my due as well, but we're gonna have to do something with that Trouba contract then, to make room for "Brian Leetch Jr." here! ;)

and i think they'd want to lock him up as long as possible.

as far as Trouba---Ozzy, you're much older than most of us here and probably has less time left. Can you take one for the fans and do away with Trouba? Use your vette to take him out. What do you think?

I'd keep Fox at 8M or under. Term negotiable. I'd try for 8 years of course, but not budging on 8M max. Need to keep it reasonable for cap flexibility, so we can maximize our Cup chances and window.

if he agrees. what if he doesnt and is asking for more?

as far as Trouba---Ozzy, you're much older than most of us here and probably has less time left. Can you take one for the fans and do away with Trouba? Use your vette to take him out. What do you think?

Ozzy....come back. i was only kidding

I'd keep Fox at 8M or under. Term negotiable. I'd try for 8 years of course, but not budging on 8M max. Need to keep it reasonable for cap flexibility, so we can maximize our Cup chances and window.

The tricky thing about the Fox deal is that the Doughty, Karlsson, Burns, Subban, etc deals exist and the GM world, dumb as it is, knows not to pay a defenseman more than 7 or 8 a year. He really does actually deserve more.

The tricky thing about the Fox deal is that the Doughty, Karlsson, Burns, Subban, etc deals exist and the GM world, dumb as it is, knows not to pay a defenseman more than 7 or 8 a year. He really does actually deserve more.

Fox is going to surprise us again and take a team friendly deal

if he agrees. what if he doesnt and is asking for more?

He forced his way here. It's like the only place he wanted to play. I wouldn't hand him an open checkbook, as good as he is. So questions he'd have to think about are: Does he want to hold out just off his ELC? Does he want to go year by year in arbitration? Does he want to get traded and play elsewhere that might give him every penny? Does he want to sign an offersheet to force the Rangers' hand? He wants to be here. I think he'll take less.

Still has a year left anyway, so they might not do an extension yet anyhow.

Still think he takes a Chabot deal, even though he knows hes worth more. He wants to be here. I mean he pressured his way off two franchises to get here and he hadn't even made a dime yet.

Ozzy....come back. i was only kidding

Fox is going to surprise us again and take a team friendly deall

I'm here Simon!! I was at the driving range for a little bit! "Long Lunch".

I think Josh has this one pegged though. I think Fox wants to be here and a nice deal that works both ways may be just what the doctor ordered. ;)