• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Could Be the New York Rangers New Head Coach?

WWJD

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said multiple times: "Torts isn't the right coach for this team." And I believe that....

..............but I just can't quit Torts. BRING HIM BAAAAAAAACK!!!!

Isn't he, though? He's fantastic. He took the Jackets to the playoffs for four straight years. The Blue Jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Isn't he, though? He's fantastic. He took the Jackets to the playoffs for four straight years. The Blue Jackets.

He also benched Laine and tried to make him a power forward so... yeah, I don't know if that works with this group.

I will say, I basically like Torts more than any player in this league, lol. If nothing else it'll be must watch TV next year if he comes back.

He also benched Laine and tried to make him a power forward so... yeah, I don't know if that works with this group.

I will say, I basically like Torts more than any player in this league, lol. If nothing else it'll be must watch TV next year if he comes back.

Laine is a lazy one dimensional player who, if he doesn't learn to use his frame, will become incredibly easy to defend.

I feel like Torts was doing him a favor.

OK, cool, so maybe fill me in on what he does, specifically, that's so awful, besides winning everywhere he goes.
Well he's got one Cup from 20 years ago on a loaded Avs team. You can ask Scott Parker about it.

He didn't win with Thrashers, Flames, but if you're impressed by his recent Gagarin Cup win then that's cool I guess.

He won a Jack Adams with the Flames, lol. Scott Parker played for him 20 years ago and is probably bitter about being the worst player in the league at the time, but OK, you're the expert.

He was criticized in Calgary for not developing the young guys, but they all ended up having their career years under him, pretty funny in retrospect. His biggest issue in Calgary was that nobody wants to play in Calgary and his #1 goalie was Kari Ramo.

Just a great guy who runs a massive kids hockey camp, stays on a cot with the kids, and they all love him. Gudreau volunteers at the camp.

I wonder if any former player has anything bad to say about Tortorella? I'm sure that's different, though.

The argument against Hartley is always a thinly veiled affair. He's not in the club. He started as a minor hockey coach in a small town, and went all the way to a SC ring and a Jack Adams.

I will say this. If we really believe building a cup contender is a longer process, you can kind of make a correlation from our last “build” where we go from Renney to Torts to AV for a finals appearance from Quinn to Torts to whoever possibly.

I guess?

And, unfair as this might be, it will not be about whether Quinn deserves another chance off past performance and this time with a roster that is expected to be fortified with players who have attributes he has coveted throughout his tenure. And though Quinn is as fine and compassionate an individual you would ever hope to know and the Rangers would ever have behind the bench, it is not about that either.

It simply will be about whether Drury has confidence in Quinn to be the coach who can take the team to the next level or whether the chief hockey executive believes the Rangers need a coach with more experience and a background of NHL success to take the baton and take over the team. Remember that when Quinn was hired, the Rangers were looking for a developmental coach. That train has left Penn Station.

There is a queue of experienced coaches — a couple with Stanley Cups on their coaching resumes, a couple with Cups won as a player—forming to succeed Quinn even while he is still in place. Tortorella is available for a reunion, Mike Babcock is out there looking for a way back in, Rick Tocchet will be on the market, Gerard Gallant is seeking a job and so is Bruce Boudreau.

And never forget that Drury played the first four years of his career in Colorado with Patrick Roy, currently the GM-coach of Quebec in the QMJHL and who might have a special affinity for Alexis Lafreniere.

The decision should not be long in coming, though it has been three years in the making. Drury has been watching intently. He was on the ice with the team for that 10-day stretch that Quinn was away. The decision may have been made before these exit meetings.

The Rangers have made changes in the front office. They will make changes in the lineup. The smart money is on a change behind the bench as well.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/09/the-main-rangers-factor-in-chris-drurys-david-quinn-decision/

He won a Jack Adams with the Flames, lol. Scott Parker played for him 20 years ago and is probably bitter about being the worst player in the league at the time, but OK, you're the expert.

He was criticized in Calgary for not developing the young guys, but they all ended up having their career years under him, pretty funny in retrospect. His biggest issue in Calgary was that nobody wants to play in Calgary and his #1 goalie was Kari Ramo.

Just a great guy who runs a massive kids hockey camp, stays on a cot with the kids, and they all love him. Gudreau volunteers at the camp.

I wonder if any former player has anything bad to say about Tortorella? I'm sure that's different, though.

The argument against Hartley is always a thinly veiled affair. He's not in the club. He started as a minor hockey coach in a small town, and went all the way to a SC ring and a Jack Adams.

Wow maybe he learned from making guys like Parker fight, play injured, generally treating them like shit... But it's possible you're right. Parkers just mad at Hartley, because he wasn't good as Sakic. I'm sure that's it LOL.

And cool, he sleeps on cots with boys. That's not weird at all.

I I think it's safe to say that you can walk back "he's won everywhere he's went".

no thank you. if we’re going with someone who hasn’t won squat we can stick with Quinn.

You don't understand Arizona as I live here. Tochet never had talent other then Eckman Larsen and Darcie Kuemper. Big deal they signed a washed up Phil Kessel but the Arizona Coyotes WILL NEVER WIN squat as they are to cheap to pay for talent so in reality Tochet never had a chance. The coyotes even got rid of Mike Smith and look how well he is doing at his age. Tochet would bring the tougher mentality but if we Ranger fans think Quinn will lead us to victory, they are smoking more weed then a crack pipe whore in Colorado

I wouldn't mind Rick, Claudie Julien or Gallant at this point. Having Torts back would certainly be interesting, I don't know if it would be a great fit with all of the kids we have, even though some will be getting traded. Although, one thing this could use is the 'safe is death' mantra instilled. Maybe they would actually hold a lead. I don't think you'd necessarily see him having the team blocking 1,000 shots a game because the personnel is different and they have more skill now than they did then. It's going to be really interesting. I could also see Drury trying to mold more of a team to Quinn's liking and then giving him a 'clean slate' so to speak, as a reason to keep him around.

I wouldn't mind Rick, Claudie Julien or Gallant at this point. Having Torts back would certainly be interesting, I don't know if it would be a great fit with all of the kids we have, even though some will be getting traded. Although, one thing this could use is the 'safe is death' mantra instilled. Maybe they would actually hold a lead. I don't think you'd necessarily see him having the team blocking 1,000 shots a game because the personnel is different and they have more skill now than they did then. It's going to be really interesting. I could also see Drury trying to mold more of a team to Quinn's liking and then giving him a 'clean slate' so to speak, as a reason to keep him around.

Keeping Quinn would be incredibly ballsy. Imagine a slow start like 1-6 or 2-8 or something. The heat on Drury would be much more immense than if it was a new coach.

Keeping Quinn would be incredibly ballsy. Imagine a slow start like 1-6 or 2-8 or something. The heat on Drury would be much more immense than if it was a new coach.

For sure. So, I'm not so certain he would go that route, but who knows. There might be enough pressure to want to make a coaching change, although Chris doesn't strike me as a guy who would cave to media pressure or what have you. If they do get off to a crappy start again, it feels like you're kind of wasting a season already halfway in or so, if they were to give him until November/December or something like that.

"I think there would be interest if there was a change in New York in Tortorella. I don't know if he would become the front runner but I do think they would have some interest." — Elliotte Friedman on latest 31 Thoughts podcast