• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Eichel Alternatives

Not going to lie, I looked up arevreal to see if its a real word or a typo :rofl:

I might be in the minority but I really like Strome and wouldnt mind keeping him if possible. he works well with Panarin. You might get a better player but you cant ignore the connection those two seem to have.

Hopefully Chytil steps it up a bit next year too and we have a solid 1,2, 3C with Barron taking over the empty spot on the fourth line... oh wait its not empty Howden plays there.

Same thing, really. :D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no outproducing going on. Strome/Stamkos/Point are all at the same level. Kopitar is actually putting up more points than all of them, at a pace better than a PPG. Actually, Kopitar is the type of C you are describing that we need (and I agree).

There's also the question of future production. The guys I've listed have scored at a higher pace than Strome's career year here for a while now. They are much more guaranteed to continue trend. Strome is at a 72 point 82 game pace this season. Stamkos and Point are both right around that this year as well, arguably a slight down year for both. Stamkos is typically a 90 point player and Point is typically very close to a PPG player, with a 90 point season under his belt already too.

The Rangers actually have two 2Cs now. I like Zibanejad more for that role than Strome. Strome doesn't offer much defensively, though he has improved some.

Why would anybody want to move Strome when he's complimenting Artemi so well?

I think Strome is perfect for the role he's playing right now. Going into this season, I think a ton of us were begging for that 2C that we need so bad.

Strome's the guy in my opinion, and he's done nothing but great things this season. There aren't many holes in his game, honestly...maybe face offs.

If he improves over the summer, or even next season on face offs, we're golden!

Why would anybody want to move Strome when he's complimenting Artemi so well?

It's not really "wanting" to move him. I think there's some sticker shock on his next deal that hasn't hit everyone yet. If I'm wrong and he comes in at 5x5.5-6M, that would be great. I'm down with that. But this will be his chance to cash in big time though, so I see anywhere around 5-7 years at 7+M. Might even push 8M. Look at the Kevin Hayes contract, and he's better than Hayes. I think that's where this is going, even with a flat cap, and for me that just feels like too much trust to place in him. Unless he is open to an extension this summer, for that 5.5-6M range, I think I'd rather make the decision now to sell high.

still seems high.

I'm not worrying about his contract for another 12 months, honestly.

Yeah I hear ya...we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. But I'm thinking with another solid year, 6.5 might be close to what he gets.

Bye!

Need guys that want to play for NY, not the money.

Sure, that's fine, but establish that he wants to stay now at a reasonable price then. It's not good asset management to let a 65-75 point player walk for nothing. Can't blame a player if he's choosing 5x7.5 in a lower income tax state over 5x6 in a high income tax state.

Yeah I hear ya...we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. But I'm thinking with another solid year, 6.5 might be close to what he gets.

Let's just be real - Strome's peaking at the right time and he's earned a raise. It's just a question of how much he wants to be in NY and how much he wants to earn. He's got 98 points across the last two seasons, he's got amazing chemistry with our most important forward, he's extremely respected in the clubhouse and as a leader, and the numbers he's putting up let him command 8+ on the open market if he so desires it.

He can get the bag right now. There's no doubt. It's a question of does he want it.

If I'm Gorton, I'm talking to him and Zib this summer and seeing if I can't get them both to agree to four year deals in the 6.5 range. They'll be young enough on the tail end of those deals to sign another long-ish deal, both of them get handsome raises, and it sets a culture tone. Plus, that sets up a clear four-year timeline - if we hit a wall, Bread, Trouba, Zib, Strome are all UFAs at the same time.

12-15m for those two together is a win-win proposition - just a matter of who gets what.

• Like 1

Let's just be real - Strome's peaking at the right time and he's earned a raise. It's just a question of how much he wants to be in NY and how much he wants to earn. He's got 98 points across the last two seasons, he's got amazing chemistry with our most important forward, he's extremely respected in the clubhouse and as a leader, and the numbers he's putting up let him command 8+ on the open market if he so desires it.

He can get the bag right now. There's no doubt. It's a question of does he want it.

If I'm Gorton, I'm talking to him and Zib this summer and seeing if I can't get them both to agree to four year deals in the 6.5 range. They'll be young enough on the tail end of those deals to sign another long-ish deal, both of them get handsome raises, and it sets a culture tone. Plus, that sets up a clear four-year timeline - if we hit a wall, Bread, Trouba, Zib, Strome are all UFAs at the same time.

12-15m for those two together is a win-win proposition - just a matter of who gets what.

Agreed, G Man!! There's going to have to be some type of concession that allows us to keep this core chemistry together to take a run at it for a few years. I think Strome, if he has another season like this one next year could very well field some pretty rich offers.

It'd be great for Gorton and JD to get the jump on this, and I'm sure they will....not only with Strome but Zibby as well.

Not a bad problem to have though, when you think about it! ;)

Agreed, G Man!! There's going to have to be some type of concession that allows us to keep this core chemistry together to take a run at it for a few years. I think Strome, if he has another season like this one next year could very well field some pretty rich offers.

It'd be great for Gorton and JD to get the jump on this, and I'm sure they will....not only with Strome but Zibby as well.

Not a bad problem to have though, when you think about it! ;)

No - not at all a bad spot to be in.

The Rangers have a long and storied history of "taking care of their own". Panarin was a bidding war - and lets face it, he's actually a 14+M value player. Trouba was a well intentioned payment that ended up biting us a little.

With the flat cap and the realities we face, it's time to go full Bruins on this one and just start the "We're doing something special. We want you here for it, and that means a cut versus what you'll get on the open market."

No - not at all a bad spot to be in.

The Rangers have a long and storied history of "taking care of their own". Panarin was a bidding war - and lets face it, he's actually a 14+M value player. Trouba was a well intentioned payment that ended up biting us a little.

With the flat cap and the realities we face, it's time to go full Bruins on this one and just start the "We're doing something special. We want you here for it, and that means a cut versus what you'll get on the open market."

That's the ticket, man!

I'm thinking as next season plays out, I'll bet Gorton and JD have this thing totally locked up. It's really intriguing how these GM's do what they do and I always find it fascinating on how they can basically eat six apples and shit a fruit salad to make everything fit!

...maybe in my next life!! :rofl:

I'm totally cool with Trouba's play the last 3 weeks. If he can uphold that leadership, and couple it with the toughness I've been seeing of late, that extra $2 million we're spending is better spent on him, than pissing it away on a buyout for Shittenkirk...fuck it, I'm good with it. I just hope he keeps it going, both with the kids, and on the ice.

By the way, that shot he scored on last night would've tore the balls off a charging Rhino!!! That was a fucking bomb! LOL

I don't think the Rangers farm and prospects on the active roster have been this good since the late 80's early 90's or so when they had Leetch, Zubov, Amonte, Weight, etc. The opportunity is there to even be a contender longer than they were during the Lundqvist Era. That is my hope. I know Lundqvist made a lot of those teams contenders just by his goaltending, but they weren't really a Stanley Cup team for quite a few of those years. They are basically set in goal and on defense, they just need the young forwards to really get going and the sky is the limit, I think. Plus, you factor in inevitable trades and free agent signings to compliment the roster.

I don't think the Rangers farm and prospects on the active roster have been this good since the late 80's early 90's or so when they had Leetch, Zubov, Amonte, Weight, etc. The opportunity is there to even be a contender longer than they were during the Lundqvist Era. That is my hope. I know Lundqvist made a lot of those teams contenders just by his goaltending, but they weren't really a Stanley Cup team for quite a few of those years. They are basically set in goal and on defense, they just need the young forwards to really get going and the sky is the limit, I think. Plus, you factor in inevitable trades and free agent signings to compliment the roster.

We had a few years where we were right there - 12, 14, 15. The first few years were a lot of "same old Rangers with Hank dragging the wagon", but the early decade was great. This is, without a doubt, the most excited I've been about the Rangers future since maybe 2008, and this is a way better collection of youth than we had back then.

We had a few years where we were right there - 12, 14, 15. The first few years were a lot of "same old Rangers with Hank dragging the wagon", but the early decade was great. This is, without a doubt, the most excited I've been about the Rangers future since maybe 2008, and this is a way better collection of youth than we had back then.

So you're saying you rather have Laf and kakko over dubinsky and callahan?

:rofl:

Yeah, that's what I mean. There was a window for sure, but I feel this one could be a bit longer with overall better teams. Quite a few of those years, the team was too offensively challenged, 2012-2015 was it. So, that's definitely something, but again, they can be a more well-rounded team here, I think. Plus, they almost have too many assets which they can then use to get even better quicker. Things were already accelerated when they got top two picks these last couple of drafts. It's exciting.

So you're saying you rather have Laf and kakko over dubinsky and callahan?

:rofl:

Laugh, but we had just drafted MDZ, Stepan, and Grachev, had a 24 year old Dan Girardi, 22 year old Marc Staal, 21 year old Michael Sauer, 24 year old Nik Zherdev, 22 year old Dubi, 23 year old Callahan and Dawes, 20 year old Anisimov, 22 year old Korpikoski, and the gem of the system...a 19 year old Alexei Cherepanov. That was a pretty damn impressive collection of kids.

I was hyped, dude.

Laugh, but we had just drafted MDZ, Stepan, and Grachev, had a 24 year old Dan Girardi, 22 year old Marc Staal, 21 year old Michael Sauer, 24 year old Nik Zherdev, 22 year old Dubi, 23 year old Callahan and Dawes, 20 year old Anisimov, 22 year old Korpikoski, and the gem of the system...a 19 year old Alexei Cherepanov. That was a pretty damn impressive collection of kids.

I was hyped, dude.

I was too. First time as a rangers fan where we actually had prospects to root for. I only laugh because its a joke how much of a better group of prospects they have now. Though to be honest this group could use a Dubinsky or a Callahan.