• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#38) Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins // For Brandon Grae Dubinsky...F*** Sid

LindG1000

The East/West shit kills us, you guys are right. And the fact that they do stick to it to the bitter end is absolutely right on. They bang their heads against the wall with it until the clock runs out, and I'm hoarse yelling shoot at the top of my lungs!! LOL

These are things that I think as a young coach, Quinn has to learn as well.

I still love it so much better when they shoot it and get to rebounds....Maybe it's just the way I've always either played, or have seen it successful too many times. When shots spur rebounds, it gets the defense scrambling to retrieve it, and that opens up lanes and players in good scoring positions most times.

The ironic part of this team is that the one area of play that we thought was going to be a problem (defensive coverage), turns out to be one of the team's better areas of strength. Ok, last night was no Picasso, that's for sure, but for the most part, all season our defensive zone coverage and defensive responsibility has been pretty good, considering a lot of these guys are basically rookies!

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The East/West shit kills us, you guys are right. And the fact that they do stick to it to the bitter end is absolutely right on. They bang their heads against it until either the clock runs out, and I'm hoarse yelling shoot at the top of my lungs!! LOL

These are things that I think as a young coach, Quinn has to learn as well.

I still love it so much better when they shoot it and get to rebounds....Maybe it's just the way I've always either played, or have seen it successful too many times. When shots spur rebounds, it gets the defense scrambling to retrieve it, and that opens up lanes and players in good scoring positions most times.

The ironic part of this team is that the one area of play that we thought was going to be a problem (defensive coverage), turns out to be one of the team's better areas of strength. Ok, last night was no Picasso, that's for sure, but for the most part, all season our defensive zone coverage and defensive responsibility has been pretty good, considering a lot of these guys are basically rookies!

I don't agree with this. The east/west hockey is the "beautiful game" part Dunny was talking about. And it is beautiful and fun to watch in my opinion. It's also pretty successful judging by their record, but it's also still a work in progress.

I also disagree with everyone's (not just yours) cries to just shoot the puck. Trying to blast shots through traffic, from anywhere and everywhere on the ice, is not fun and so easily exploitable when every single player on every single team blocks shots. If there's no lane, don't force it. The same definitely goes for passes, but I'd rather them try to find another passing lane than force a shot.

I almost wonder if they'd be better off in a regular schedule than the "East division only" schedule they're in this season. Most of the defensively sound teams like the Islanders and Bruins are in the East. Less games against them would do them wonders.

I don't agree with this. The east/west hockey is the "beautiful game" part Dunny was talking about. And it is beautiful and fun to watch in my opinion. It's also pretty successful judging by their record, but it's also still a work in progress.

I also disagree with everyone's (not just yours) cries to just shoot the puck. Trying to blast shots through traffic, from anywhere and everywhere on the ice, is not fun and so easily exploitable when every single player on every single team blocks shots. If there's no lane, don't force it. The same definitely goes for passes, but I'd rather them try to find another passing lane than force a shot.

I almost wonder if they'd be better off in a regular schedule than the "East division only" schedule they're in this season. Most of the defensively sound teams like the Islanders and Bruins are in the East. Less games against them would do them wonders.

Well, I think the point is while it’s beautiful, when other teams plan against it and take it away (recent Flyers loss for example) the Rangers don’t adjust at all. It’s not to say they need to abandon it, but if it’s currently being taken away, there needs to be a north south adjustment just long enough for the opposition to have to keep a little more honest instead of just plugging up one lane knowing it’s the only route taken.

I think it has to be used more in moderation, Morph. Maybe I should've phrased it differently..."The CONSTANT East/West shit kills us". I love the tic tac toe stuff from time to time, but I think there's a time and a place for it. When we have a PP and they just pass it around for 1:50 and get one shit ass shot, it just makes me wanna kick a kitten, or when Kakko stick handles himself into oblivion and he could've labeled one top shelf ("where Mama hides the cookies!").

They didn't have that many shots last night, what was it 25?, and they scored on 8 of 'em!! Shit, that's one hell of a shooting percentage!! LOL

They're going to find their sweet spot with it in time I know, but sometimes I get a little amped when it's passed all around the perimeter and Kreider is standing in the crease, getting the CCM logo cross checked into a tattoo on his back. Then it gets deflected or tipped out of the zone without even a shot attempt.

The one pet peeve that irks me a little is not getting the puck deep and turning it over between the blue lines. How many time have we been caught with shitty line changes and too many men penalties on account of it? Again, these are the things I expect us to get sorted out over the next 20 games, and into next season.

We'll get there though, man!!

The issue is there is no "change of pace" type of line, especially with the current 3rd line.

They are all highly skilled players and they are going to want to play off the rush and do all the pretty things.

A coach is not going to tell players not to do something that makes them successful, even if for one night they are not having success. They need to get players who force the other team to defend a different way.