• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Won't Name Captain; Zibanejad, Kreider, Trouba, Panarin Named Alternates

Phil

He might be closer than we think, to be honest. It's very, very clear how highly the team thinks of him. He does seem to have captaincy/leadership qualities.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's named captain in the next two seasons, if not sooner - especially if his game rises to it.

Based on interactions with teammates, he still seems like a bit of a follower, has the glow in his eyes, still a bit star struck. So I could see next year settling in, year after really coming into it... I guess I could see it.

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The team unilaterally praises him. They talk about his personality being endlessly positive, infectious, that he loves the game, wants to win - that's actually the foundation for a really good leader.

Based on interactions with teammates, he still seems like a bit of a follower, has the glow in his eyes, still a bit star struck. So I could see next year settling in, year after really coming into it... I guess I could see it.

I like the way he progressed this year as well, fellas. He's definitely got "IT", I feel. He's young...very young and I think Laffy is going to be that generational talent we've always seemed to miss out on.

I see a little Patrick Kane in him at times, and as Josh said, he seems a little star struck at times, but he has all the tools, and he's developed a lot this past season. He was visible in most games, even considering he was playing on the 3rd line with somewhat limited ice time, and not very much PP time.

Still the guy potted what? 12 goals?

That's my man right there! Whether they give him the "C" or not down the pike a bit is their own decision, but either way I think Laffy is going to take some outrageous steps this coming season towards being not only a superstar, but a "generational" player. I can't help it, I love that kid!

...and Bugg...that's our "Yukon", my man!!! :rofl:

If Laf is named captain he becomes the immediate face of the franchise for the next decade.

When we saw our logo on that ping pong ball, it’s all I thought.

I’d have no problem giving him the ‘C’ so long as he has guys he can lean on and learn from until the time is right.

I’d have no problem giving him the ‘C’ so long as he has guys he can lean on and learn from until the time is right.

100% Give him the C and bring in some cup winners this summer to show him how to do it. I can get on board with that.

100% Give him the C and bring in some cup winners this summer to show him how to do it. I can get on board with that.

Thirded!!! :thumbs:

This is yet another reason why I’d be all for someone (or more?) like Getzlaf. There isn’t a true leader in that room that is filled with kids. Sure, we can wait for someone like Lafreniere to mature and plant a ‘C’ on him, but wouldn’t you feel more comfortable if he had someone with leadership qualities to learn from?

u want to give Getzlaf the "C"?

I think the thought of Laf being given the C is terribly premature as in no time in the next 2-3 seasons minimum. Maybe he can show up in shape first and not look like he's going to pass out on the bench trying to catch his breath for most of the season. Somewhere down the road, sure I guess but he to me has a hell of a lot to prove first before he's a proven leader at this level. Honestly don't care what he or anyone else has done in Jr's or any other level but the NHL. You can find reasons and some of them legit but his first season was by any standard hardly impressive on the whole.

I think the thought of Laf being given the C is terribly premature as in no time in the next 2-3 seasons minimum. Maybe he can show up in shape first and not look like he's going to pass out on the bench trying to catch his breath for most of the season. Somewhere down the road, sure I guess but he to me has a hell of a lot to prove first before he's a proven leader at this level. Honestly don't care what he or anyone else has done in Jr's or any other level but the NHL. You can find reasons and some of them legit but his first season was by any standard hardly impressive on the whole.

I’m not trying to make excuses or change your mind, but the season as a whole was a very weird one; let alone for a teenager with his hype.

Shortened season, hardly any type of training camp, no exhibition games to get his feet wet, playing in empty buildings and against the same 7 teams. Again, his season was his season. Good, bad or indifferent, that’s just a fact. But, it was a very weird way to be introduced to the NHL.

He finished very strong and I’m hoping that carries into next season. I think we struck gold with him. He’s going to be a hell of a player for this team for a long time.

No, I want Getzlaf to come and teach these kids how to be leaders on the ice and in the locker room.

the only thing he's going to teach these kids is how to use a walker. i mean im all for bringing in leadership to this team but someone who still has a pulse

Just because Getzlaf isn’t who he once was doesn’t mean he doesn’t serve a purpose. Is he the big elite #1 center he was in his prime? Hell no. Not even close. But he still has size, he still sticks up for his teammates, he still kills penalties, he still wins faceoffs, he provides leadership and he can play the minutes we would require for him and not look out of place.

Literally every single aspect I just listed is an area of need for the Rangers, IMO. At some point, it can’t just be about rolling out the worlds youngest roster every single season. Or about him “stealing” a spot from a young guy. This isn’t 2000 and the Rangers aren’t the organization they were then when they tried to collect as many veterans as they could to build a team.

This is about finding the right ones with the right traits to fill holes in our lineup; holes in our lineup that would be better served being given to a veteran. Not every former star stops producing on the scoresheet and disappears. Guys like him, to me, go beyond it and that’s where we need him or someone like him.

• Like 1

Just because Getzlaf isn’t who he once was doesn’t mean he doesn’t serve a purpose. Is he the big elite #1 center he was in his prime? Hell no. Not even close. But he still has size, he still sticks up for his teammates, he still kills penalties, he still wins faceoffs, he provides leadership and he can play the minutes we would require for him and not look out of place.

Literally every single aspect I just listed is an area of need for the Rangers, IMO. At some point, it can’t just be about rolling out the worlds youngest roster every single season. Or about him “stealing” a spot from a young guy. This isn’t 2000 and the Rangers aren’t the organization they were then when they tried to collect as many veterans as they could to build a team.

This is about finding the right ones with the right traits to fill holes in our lineup; holes in our lineup that would be better served being given to a veteran. Not every former star stops producing on the scoresheet and disappears. Guys like him, to me, go beyond it and that’s where we need him or someone like him.

agree about the need, just dont agree about Getzlaf. The rangers are no longer a retirement home (i hope), make a hockey trade and bring in someone who would be able to contribute for more than 30 games or so

Again, I don’t disagree. If people want more of a sure thing, I understand. But to me, if you expect to just throw Morgan Barron in that role with no competition in a season your owner is hoping the team takes the next step, you’re setting yourself up for trouble.

Barron as a 4th liner is fine with me.

Bumping this.

Step 1 in this new "Drury era" should be to name a Captain. Its getting kinda ridiculous not having a Captain for so long and switching around the A's all the time. Feels like a U10 pee wee team. Passing around the letters so no one starts to cry.

The lack of leadership was fairly obvious this season. Kreider and Zib both disappeared during the season and showed absolutely no leadership when things got rough (Kreids was injured, but still). Panarin is a midget that barely speaks english, he only has an A because he's the star, I guess thats fair. Obviously no Captain, but he can have an A.

So only Trouba left from the "leadership group" from this season that showed anything resembling leadership. Not much, but more than the rest, and arguably his absence showed it more than when he actually played. Factor in he will likely continue to get less and less icetime and could very well be gone in a few years.

I still stand by my orginally thought of Laf as Captain. Didnt start the season well, but as he progressed through the season I did see more of a "leader" in him. Seems to get a long well with everyone, he demands a lot from himself (and his teammates) and I really think he could develop a "mean streak" and be really good "lead by example" type of Captain.

What other options are there? Obviously trade/FA, but would that fit well with this group? A new guy coming in and "taking over" this team? I could see Kreids and Mika cry over that.

Lindgren? Fox?

3rd season in a row without a Captain?

I think Lindgren has been a leader on every team he's been on. I believe that was a selling point on getting him in the Nash trade.

Lafreniere seems a bit too timid at the moment. Maybe down the line but not yet.

Trouba is definitely the anchor in the locker room at the moment. If they need to name a captain right now, it's him.

I think Lindgren has been a leader on every team he's been on. I believe that was a selling point on getting him in the Nash trade.

Lafreniere seems a bit too timid at the moment. Maybe down the line but not yet.

Trouba is definitely the anchor in the locker room at the moment. If they need to name a captain right now, it's him.

Has anyone that covers the Rangers actually found this out? I mean I've seen it said on this board and elsewhere, but I don't remember reading it from someone who gets an inside scoop from within the locker room. He just has never struck me as a leader.

I cannot imagine giving a second year player, off a year where he struggled mightily, the added pressure of a captaincy.

I'm not saying he's not Captain material or should never be the captain, but putting it on his sweater next year would be a terrible move IMO.

Has anyone that covers the Rangers actually found this out? I mean I've seen it said on this board and elsewhere, but I don't remember reading it from someone who gets an inside scoop from within the locker room. He just has never struck me as a leader.

Yes here

"Is Jacob Trouba in line to be the next Rangers captain? - Blue Seat Blogs" https://blueseatblogs.com/2021/04/22/is-jacob-trouba-in-line-to-be-the-next-rangers-captain/amp/

Here

"Jacob Trouba’s locker-room leadership gives him a strong case for the Rangers captaincy - Forever Blueshirts: A site for New York Rangers fanatics" https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/jacob-troubas-locker-room-leadership-gives-him-a-strong-case-for-the-rangers-captaincy/amp/

And I saw a Newsday article that I couldn't read due to subscription block..

Did you not notice the dramatic drop in play the very second Trouba got rocked?

He may not be what we expect for his pay grade, but I don't think there's much question to important his presence is on and off the ice.

I cannot imagine giving a second year player, off a year where he struggled mightily, the added pressure of a captaincy.

I'm not saying he's not Captain material or should never be the captain, but putting it on his sweater next year would be a terrible move IMO.

This. Let him have a few dominant seasons then we’ll talk.

Also I think naming a captain is over rated and I doubt the players give a shit

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This. Let him have a few dominant seasons then we’ll talk.

Also I think naming a captain is over rated and I doubt the players give a shit

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Chris Kreider says it doesn't matter. But if it didn't matter, then why did 30 other teams name a captain?

Every organization needs a leader. Doesn't matter if it's a corporate job, the military, or a hockey team. When you have a group of people, someone leads them. And if not, they're generally less productive. If anyone is actually interested in leadership, I recommend Jacko Willink's book. He lays out specific examples about when groups did and did not have a leader and their differing results in production.

Kreider saying it doesn't matter, if he actually believes that, is probably one of the reasons he doesn't wear the 'C' already.