• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHLN's Mike Kelly Thinks Rangers Will Make Playoffs This Season, Win Cup Before 2025

Phil

We'll be a sexy team, for sure, but the depth issue is a big one, for me. There isn't any to speak of. A very Leafs-like roster.

I'm not really sure that's true...The #1 overall pick is our 3rd line LW...Then you go straight the AHL on the 4th line, sure.

Leafs like in a sense of can't defend, either.

I'm going to overthink this and get a little wild, but as the cap was a blessing in disguise for us, so too shall the spending limits and cap freeze that will almost assuredly come through.

Our biggest contract and cap concerns moving forward really start after next year - and we all agree that this year is one where the goal is "make the playoffs". With the restrictions in place, and performance bonuses of any significance starting to wane off, we're going to be able to limit RFA spend and frankly, cap potential UFA spend.

Zibanejad is amazing, but in this environment there's almost no way anyone in the league is paying him 10M. No matter how much better Kakko gets or how good Lafreniere is or how many Norris nominations Fox gets - they're also soft-capped. Shesterkin won't have the body of work to make a big claim on cap, and there's literally no advantage to kicking the can a year or two because there is no cap increase.

We have a phenomenal collection of talent that we almost cannot overstep financial boundaries to retain. So long as the key youth players grow as expected, we're going to be a terrifying team for most of the next decade.

Also, because the hockey gods are ironic, I'd bet on 2024 being the year. A giant circlejerk where we wheel out every septuagenarian and sexagenarian who played on the 1994 team, followed by the run.

• Like 1

for as much as i think the future is bright, in looking at the wolfpack roster it far from blows me away. not the fault of the current admin as JD clearly took hard look and action on the overhaul but its far from the "interchangeable flock of forwards" that the devils boasted in their golden years.

that being said there are many more draft picks and moves in the future and we have one hell of an intriguing lineup on the big club, with some tantalizing blueline prospects on the way.

you hope that this year shows another step forward improvement wise. if you make the playoffs this year and win a round there will be plenty to hang your hat on.

for as much as i think the future is bright, in looking at the wolfpack roster it far from blows me away. not the fault of the current admin as JD clearly took hard look and action on the overhaul but its far from the "interchangeable flock of forwards" that the devils boasted in their golden years.

that being said there are many more draft picks and moves in the future and we have one hell of an intriguing lineup on the big club, with some tantalizing blueline prospects on the way.

you hope that this year shows another step forward improvement wise. if you make the playoffs this year and win a round there will be plenty to hang your hat on.

Yeah, I'm not really sure the make up of Hartford is evidence of anything. Most of their best prospects are either in Europe or haven't even turned pro yet. And the others are already on the NHL squad. You don't judge a contender on the strength of their AHL team either.

I think it's a bit early to be talking about Stanley Cups but if Lafreniere Zib and Kakko take the ice together at any point this year I might C in my Ps.

The absolute biggest questions will be answered next summer when all that cash comes off the books.

Yeah, I'm not really sure the make up of Hartford is evidence of anything. Most of their best prospects are either in Europe or haven't even turned pro yet. And the others are already on the NHL squad. You don't judge a contender on the strength of their AHL team either.

I think it's a bit early to be talking about Stanley Cups but if Lafreniere Zib and Kakko take the ice together at any point this year I might C in my Ps.

The absolute biggest questions will be answered next summer when all that cash comes off the books.

Oh yeah 3-1!!! I've been looking forward to that for quite a while now! I'm really pumped that JD and Gorton hold the reigns too! I don't know what it is, but I have 100% faith in those 2! :thumbs: