• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign F Colin Blackwell to 2-Year/$1.45M Deal; $725K AAV

Phil

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Anaheim has been really bad, but man, he's on a steep decline.

2017-18: 1.09 P/GP

2018-19: 0.72 P/GP

2019-20: 0.61 P/GP

2020-21: 0.35 P/GP

Feels like the right idea, but probably the wrong player. He's 36. How much is objectively left in his tank?

Depends what he costs, no? If you need a cheap 3c who can lead by example, commands immediate respect, and wins faceoffs, go get him.

If the cheap part gets called into question, maybe he's not the guy.

I mean Anaheim absolutely blows. For a 3rd/4th line center who's won a cup? I'm into it. Same as I was into Thornton and Chara and Perry. Cheap, two year deal. Why not?

I guess if they're coming in near league-minimum there's little harm, but I don't know that the Rangers offer the right level of "come win a Cup" that Toronto do.

Depends what he costs, no? If you need a cheap 3c who can lead by example, commands immediate respect, and wins faceoffs, go get him.

If the cheap part gets called into question, maybe he's not the guy.

And when he asks for a three-year deal? It's less cost and more term I'm worried about.

I know Anaheim has been really bad, but man, he's on a steep decline.

2017-18: 1.09 P/GP

2018-19: 0.72 P/GP

2019-20: 0.61 P/GP

2020-21: 0.35 P/GP

Feels like the right idea, but probably the wrong player. He's 36. How much is objectively left in his tank?

Agree, I think his game is halfway off the cliff. Feels like this one is a few years too late. His f/o % is .518, while an improvement over what we have it's not great by any means. I don't think his overall game is good enough to be a 3rd line center on an up and coming team, in fact I think he would be a drag on the line. Leadership yes put a check in that box. But too long in the tooth for me, too little too late in the game. Would also be surprised if he wanted to move from coast to coast at this stage, I think he would be even less inclined to do so on a league minimum type deal.

Right idea, but wrong player imo.

We've seen older players go elsewhere and fill a role. That's what we need. He's not coming to be the 1st line center. I'm talking 3rd or 4th line center on a team that's 10x better than Anaheim. Even at .35 ppg, that's a massive improvement over Howden.

And when he asks for a three-year deal? It's less cost and more term I'm worried about.

If he wants the same deal Lindgren just got? I'm not sure I balk at that, but I haven't watch much Getzlaf to see if he's still a physical presence and "Burke truculent".

If he is, I just do it. We could do so much worse there.

We've seen older players go elsewhere and fill a role. That's what we need. He's not coming to be the 1st line center. I'm talking 3rd or 4th line center on a team that's 10x better than Anaheim. Even at .35 ppg, that's a massive improvement over Howden.

You could pick a name out of almost any hat and they would be better than Howden so I would hope the bar is set higher than being better than Howden. If it is not shame on Drury.

Man I certainly would not give Getzlaf a 3 year 3M Lindgren deal at this stage. Granted I only watched maybe 7-8 Ducks games but that's really not a smart move imo.

You could pick a name out of almost any hat and they would be better than Howden so I would hope the bar is set higher than being better than Howden. If it is not shame on Drury.

Man I certainly would not give Getzlaf a 3 year 3M Lindgren deal at this stage. Granted I only watched maybe 7-8 Ducks games but that's really not a smart move imo.

The Howden thing is actually true. If I can find it, there was a fancy stats thread on Twitter like six weeks ago that basically said "there are three NHL regulars over the past 3 years worse than Brett Howden".

Three.

lol.

Yeah sure, in that respect they also missed Staal and Hank. But you'd think there's someone who can take that lockeroom role - kid or otherwise.

I just remember when fast left and Quinn mentioned that he was a guy who he could rely on to keep the game simple when it was getting too complicated... And that was a huge problem this year.

In the games where the extra pass wasn't working I could easily see Fast with a soft dump into the corner, go getting the puck himself, and throwing it to the slot for it to bounce in off of someone's skate. They didn't have that this year.

But I'm also all in on Getzy as 3C. You're getting the same amount the points from him as you are from Chytil in that role, most likely.

I just remember when fast left and Quinn mentioned that he was a guy who he could rely on to keep the game simple when it was getting too complicated... And that was a huge problem this year.

In the games where the extra pass wasn't working I could easily see Fast with a soft dump into the corner, go getting the puck himself, and throwing it to the slot for it to bounce in off of someone's skate. They didn't have that this year.

But I'm also all in on Getzy as 3C. You're getting the same amount the points from him as you are from Chytil in that role, most likely.

That’s true. It’s just the term I’d be worried about. He’s 36.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Not sure. The flat cap is definitely a factor but he's also someone with a family who has lived in California for like fifteen years. He's picking up and moving all the way to NYC for a year?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Well no... it's a question of if he can live away from his family for 6 months at a time. I don't think Marlrau moved his entire family to Toronto or Carolina for the past few seasons. Same with Thornton. I don't think he moved his family to Toronto.