• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

RFA Defensemen to Target

The Dude

So, with Staal gone there IS legitimate need for a veteran D-man.

With so many teams already struggling with the cap, there are a bunch of D-men the Rangers can swoop in and trade for as steals, or even sign to offer sheets. There's some top level talent, and some reclamation project types they could try.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/defenseman/rfa/

Right off the bat there's Sergachev. Can Tampa match anything if an offer sheet is tossed at him? Can they trade their #22 pick for him?

Does Montour want to stay in Buffalo? Does anyone?

How about Dermott? Are the Leafs into him as much as they should be?

Zadorov is a big boy who hasn't put it all together yet. Not sure what his place is within the Avs.

I'm guessing that Strome and DeAngelo are in play as trade chips. Maybe Buch? Lundkvist?

I don't see much via UFA left to really target.

Since the Rangers don't have a 2021 2nd round pick any longer, they qualify for still making an offer sheet with the following AAV amounts, per CapFriendly.

1) 1.4 - 2.1

2) 4.3 - 6.5

3) 10.9+

4.3-6.5 is a good sweet spot for Sergachev, but it would mean a 1st and 3rd going back. The Rangers might still be a lottery team next year, so you might be trading a lottery pick. Plus, they would then have 1 pick (Buffalo 3rd) in the first 3 rounds.

My guess is the Rangers aren't interested in this approach, but it doesn't rule out that they may just try to trade straight up with other assets for an RFA like Sergachev.

Since the Rangers don't have a 2021 2nd round pick any longer, they qualify for still making an offer sheet with the following AAV amounts, per CapFriendly.

1) 1.4 - 2.1

2) 4.3 - 6.5

3) 10.9+

4.3-6.5 is a good sweet spot for Sergachev, but it would mean a 1st and 3rd going back. The Rangers might still be a lottery team next year, so you might be trading a lottery pick. Plus, they would then have 1 pick (Buffalo 3rd) in the first 3 rounds.

My guess is the Rangers aren't interested in this approach, but it doesn't rule out that they may just try to trade straight up with other assets for an RFA like Sergachev.

You're probably right, but if there's ever a draft for the Rangers to say "fuck it, we're good", it's the 2021 draft. It's widely considered a weaker class and its strength is defensemen.

If we go for RFA D-men, Sergachev is high on the list. I'd imagine Vince Dunn, Oliver Kylington, possibly Zadorov make that list as well.

You're probably right, but if there's ever a draft for the Rangers to say "fuck it, we're good", it's the 2021 draft. It's widely considered a weaker class and its strength is defensemen.

If we go for RFA D-men, Sergachev is high on the list. I'd imagine Vince Dunn, Oliver Kylington, possibly Zadorov make that list as well.

Yeah, I mean Sergachev probably tops the LD options for me since 1) he's good, and 2) you can lock him up to a 5-7 year deal now at a reasonable cap hit given he'd be a top 4D cornerstone player.

Different GM.

But what's Sergachev going to cost in picks?

1st and 3rd, in all likelihood.

I might also revisit some of those "3 year, much higher QO" RFA contracts from last year. With cash being uncertain, teams might want to capture high value for contracts they can't manage even a year or two down the road.