• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mikko Lehtonen Leaves KHL; Option for Rangers? Nope — Signed with Leafs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jury is still out on him being a gem.

but there was no way he would've signed with us, if his agent was even half good. there's no guaranteed spot for him on the current rangers D. Staal isn't going anywhere, so is Smith, even if he plays forward again

Not a good sign, Leafs are way better than the Rangers at these signings. We get shit like Rykov and Meskanen, they find gems.

Rykov was via trade.

Most likely couldn't guarantee him a spot on the NHL club. So the deal breaker is Hartford vs Toronto.

But noooo, Hartford has never had an issue with retaining foreign born players. Its great for development!

You really like banging this out of date drum. New management. New coaching. New schemes. Better players. But oh no we lost Robin Kovacs four years ago.
Correct. If anything, Lias and Kravtsov behavior illustrates a new standard for Hartford. No bullshit. And they all come crying back.

Bang bang bang

Show me otherwise

Bang bang

Bang bang bang

Rykov, Hajek, Meskanen, Lindqvist* #fouryearsago

But again, bloggers on here have no concept of bringing guys over and having them grow up together.

You think they’re coming back because of the excellent Hartford system? And who’s they?

They're coming back because they know it'll make them better players than if they stayed in beer league in Siberia?

This could go either way. Hartford turned to dog shit after Shesterkin got called up. I am less convinced it's a good stepping stone to the pros yet than I previously was earlier in the season. I did not give Shesterkin enough credit for what he was doing down there. He was carrying that team on his back.

If you're measuring development in the AHL by wins and losses, you're doing it wrong.

If you're measuring by how many people leave the team and come back, you're doing it wrong lol.

There are many measurements of development. Steps forward in development should ultimately lead to a winning culture.

If you're measuring by how many people leave the team and come back, you're doing it wrong lol.

There are many measurements of development. Steps forward in development should ultimately lead to a winning culture.

Chytil, Lindgren Shesty were the 3 Hartford graduates this season. Seems they developed OK.

Not sure we can join development and winning culture when soon to be 26 year old Vinni Lettieri is a first line player. It's also been the first year under new regime, JD et al.

The "Hartford sucks" drum beat is tired, to Drew's point.

But, I do get that folks tend to credit Shesty with everything aside from curing Corona.

Chytil, Lindgren Shesty were the 3 Hartford graduates this season. Seems they developed OK.

Not sure we can join development and winning culture when soon to be 26 year old Vinni Lettieri is a first line player. It's also been the first year under new regime, JD et al.

But, I do get that folks tend to credit Shesty with everything aside from curing Corona.

I don?t think you can say that Shesty developed in Hartford. He came over already developed and ready to play. The only reason he was sent to Hartford is because Henrik was blocking him.

Shesty developed in Russia. Everyone knows he didn't just get good by playing 25 games in Hartford. When the guy goes 17-4-3 in Hartford, and they go 14-16-3 without him, it's probably safe to give him the bulk of the credit.

Chytil played 9 games in Hartford. That was a wake up call more than sending him down to develop because he took his roster spot for granted. Hartford needs to have more purpose than being a wake up call.

Lindgren was a pleasant surprise. Let's see where that goes. We've seen plenty of rookie defensemen overachieve in their first years at this level only to never get close to it again. I hope that's not the case, but we'll see.

There simply hasn't been enough good that can be tied directly back to Hartford. The next wave can change that tune, but it's not there yet and it may still not even happen.

Bang bang bang

Show me otherwise

Bang bang

Bang bang bang

Rykov, Hajek, Meskanen, Lindqvist* #fouryearsago

But again, bloggers on here have no concept of bringing guys over and having them grow up together.

Rykov was injured most of this season. Hajek still needs work. They're both still around. How does that fit your argument?

I'll ask you to provide the names of foreign-born players who went on to do something meaningful in the NHL after "fleeing" Hartford. You won't.

Shesty developed in Russia. Everyone knows he didn't just get good by playing 25 games in Hartford. When the guy goes 17-4-3 in Hartford, and they go 14-16-3 without him, it's probably safe to give him the bulk of the credit.

Or maybe, much like the NHL, the first 20 games don't mean a heckuva lot because teams are figuring themselves out and there's no real "book" on an import goalie...and they lost their best D, best center, Rykov got hurt, etc...

Chytil played 9 games in Hartford. That was a wake up call more than sending him down to develop because he took his roster spot for granted. Hartford needs to have more purpose than being a wake up call.

Lindgren was a pleasant surprise. Let's see where that goes. We've seen plenty of rookie defensemen overachieve in their first years at this level only to never get close to it again. I hope that's not the case, but we'll see.

There simply hasn't been enough good that can be tied directly back to Hartford. The next wave can change that tune, but it's not there yet and it may still not even happen.

That's the whole point. Too soon to tell what Hartford is, but under entirely new management just saying "Shitty development" is old news. It's not like players are leaving Hartford in droves and ripping it up elsewhere... Except the aforementioned Ryan Graves.

If you're measuring development in the AHL by wins and losses, you're doing it wrong.

regarding Hartford, i base it on how well it helps players to develop to meet their full potential as NHL players.

Hartford is a complete failure. From the city, the facilities, the lack of development. I dont care if guys spend 5 years there to develop - but no one has developed there. They need to make it desirable. They need to get their prospects there to grow and learn together.

Today's top teams are developing players in the AHL. Boston, Toronto, TB, Washington defense, Nashville, same with the young teams coming up Colorado, Carolina.

Rykov was injured most of this season. Hajek still needs work. They're both still around. How does that fit your argument?

I'll ask you to provide the names of foreign-born players who went on to do something meaningful in the NHL after "fleeing" Hartford. You won't.

that's a horrible way to look at how well you develop players. That just reiterates that they don't develop players.

regarding Hartford, i base it on how well it helps players to develop to meet their full potential as NHL players.

Hartford is a complete failure. From the city, the facilities, the lack of development. I dont care if guys spend 5 years there to develop - but no one has developed there. They need to make it desirable. They need to get their prospects there to grow and learn together.

Today's top teams are developing players in the AHL. Boston, Toronto, TB, Washington defense, Nashville, same with the young teams coming up Colorado, Carolina.

This management team has been there one season. Not even, 3/4 of a season.

Nobody is disputing what Hartford used to be, but why are you completely disregarding that there's an entirely new group of people managing it now?

This management team has been there one season. Not even, 3/4 of a season.

Nobody is disputing what Hartford used to be, but why are you completely disregarding that there's an entirely new group of people managing it now?

When determining success, I look for success.

I dont measure success based on failure. I'd let all these prospects fade off if the organization could develop better players that would lead to more overall success for the Rangers.

The success basket consists of Jesper Fast.

that's a horrible way to look at how well you develop players. That just reiterates that they don't develop players.

You implied that they have a problem. They've lost European players that never adjusted to North American hockey. Could that have been on Gernander and McCambridge being curmudgeons who emphasized a boring brand of dump-and-chase hockey with little else? Probably. Does it reflect the team now? No. Did they miss out on any players who left? No.