• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Zuccarello: Handling of Lundqvist "Disrespectful"

Phil

I don't think you can compare goalies to skaters in a "best ever analysis." Hank is the best goalie ever to play for the Rangers. He was consistently one of the best three or four goalies in a 30 team league for ten years. In the 2000s, Brodeur is the only other one who can say that (Price was not that consistently good every year for that long of a period).

As for not winning the Cup, again, in a 30 team league, that's increasingly going to be said of a lot of great players.

As for "mistreatment" and not finishing his career as a Ranger, it should be remembered that until the current era of long term contracts and no move clauses, a player like Lundquist would routinely have been traded late in his career when an heir apparent materialized.

Zucc seems to have wanted a long term contract and to finish his career as a Ranger. If he had been willing to sign a three year deal followed by a two or three year deal at a significantly lower amount, he probably could have. You just can't expect to maximize your earnings and only play for one team in the current environment. When you are 31 and a UFA, there usually will be at least one of the other 30 teams for whom giving you a long term deal makes more sense than it does for your current team. That's a function of CBA rules that the players wanted, so they can't complain when few get to spend long careers with one teams. The owners would gladly go back to a set of rules that bound players to one team and the players got paid poorly (and fans got to pay ticket prices a fraction of what they are today).

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.hockey-reference.com/

Think as to Osgood, looking at the numbers and being part of 3 Cups and being key in 2, it's a tossup. Fair to say his Wings teams were way more stacked than any NYR team Lundqvist played with.

Crawford, not so much.

Lundqvist is in the tier of goalies like Luongo, Tony Esposito and Curtis Joseph who had long and excellent careers, but did not win a Cup.

I'm taking Crawford. Solid, gives my team a chance to win, workmanlike performance. I've been burned by too many soft goals and OT losses to trust Lundqvist. I'll sacrifice the highlight-reel saves.

I'm taking Crawford. Solid, gives my team a chance to win, workmanlike performance. I've been burned by too many soft goals and OT losses to trust Lundqvist. I'll sacrifice the highlight-reel saves.

Might want to check Lundqvist's stats in game 7s.

Might want to check Lundqvist's stats in game 7s.

Might want to have my head examined for taking Crawford instead of a HOF regardless of game 7 stats. But the question is personal preference.

I'm going:

1. Roy

2. Brodeur

3. Hasek

if my life depends on winning a game, then it gets tougher. I'd be tempted to have Curtis Joseph in my top 5 choices, which is higher than most. Again, personal preference. Be pretty fun to give up 50+ shots and win because Cujo was having one of his nights where nothing was getting by him.

Might want to have my head examined for taking Crawford instead of a HOF regardless of game 7 stats. But the question is personal preference.

I'm going:

1. Roy

2. Brodeur

3. Hasek

if my life depends on winning a game, then it gets tougher. I'd be tempted to have Curtis Joseph in my top 5 choices, which is higher than most. Again, personal preference. Be pretty fun to give up 50+ shots and win because Cujo was having one of his nights where nothing was getting by him.

1 game, throw out the stats, going with the nasty Irish guy who played for that team I hate- https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/smithbi01.html

I'm going:

1. Roy

2. Brodeur

3. Hasek

Ha. Yea, every goalie is capable of going on a heater.

Are we limiting this to just career Rangers?

I’d still say it’s Messier

Played 10 seasons as a Ranger.

Accomplished everything a player could in that span

Was here during prime years.

Was a Captain

Is one of the 5 best players ever

Absolutely. He did what no one could do in over half a century.

I read the original interview in Norwegian.

His main gripe seems to be the idea that the Rangers threw Lundqvist under the bus by sitting him for long periods of time, and then sending him out rusty to get torched against tough opposition. He also says Igor/Georgie were given favourable starts against weaker opposition.

In general, he appears to have completely lost track of the fact that, at the end of the day, this is a business that ultimately have made both him and Lundqvist very rich.

That being said, I think the Rangers idea was to trade Georgiev in order to avoid this situation. I don't think they wanted this at all. They painted themselves into a corner the way they handled the situation.

Crawford and Osgood proved that you dont need a top-flight goalie to win. It is not the goalie that will propel you to the championship.

Are we limiting this to just career Rangers?

I?d still say it?s Messier

Played 10 seasons as a Ranger.

Accomplished everything a player could in that span

Was here during prime years.

Was a Captain

Is one of the 5 best players ever

He had 6 amazing years, and 4 retirement years. And Messier barely cracks the top 10 players ever, definitely doesn?t touch the hallowed top 5

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He had 6 amazing years, and 4 retirement years. And Messier barely cracks the top 10 players ever, definitely doesn’t touch the hallowed top 5

I should clarify that by top-5, I meant at his position.

I don’t see 5 centers ever better than Messier.

Gretzky and Lemieux for sure.

After those 2 it’s a matter for debate but I find it hard to see Mess being outside of the top-5

I read the original interview in Norwegian.

His main gripe seems to be the idea that the Rangers threw Lundqvist under the bus by sitting him for long periods of time, and then sending him out rusty to get torched against tough opposition. He also says Igor/Georgie were given favourable starts against weaker opposition.

In general, he appears to have completely lost track of the fact that, at the end of the day, this is a business that ultimately have made both him and Lundqvist very rich.

That being said, I think the Rangers idea was to trade Georgiev in order to avoid this situation. I don't think they wanted this at all. They painted themselves into a corner the way they handled the situation.

I still think it’s their idea to trade him.

They would have done so already had they gotten an offer they liked. The market will be a bit better this summer or whenever stuff gets going again and they’ll be able to move him somewhere.

While I’ll agree there’s some mishandling here, I’m really not sure what they could’ve done too much differently.

Igor forced it all with stellar play. They had to give him a look with the big club.

I should clarify that by top-5, I meant at his position.

I don?t see 5 centers ever better than Messier.

Gretzky and Lemieux for sure.

After those 2 it?s a matter for debate but I find it hard to see Mess being outside of the top-5

Centers for sure.

Per the NHL sporting news...

1- Gretzky

4- Lemieux

7- Beliveau

12- Messier

I tend to agree with this list.

Although 75% of Messier?s success came with the Oilers

Centers for sure.

Per the NHL sporting news...

1- Gretzky

4- Lemieux

7- Beliveau

11- LaFleur

12- Messier

I tend to agree with this list.

Although 75% of Messier?s success came with the Oilers

LaFleur spent his entire career on the wing, as I?m sure you know.

The only guys I?d put close to Mess are Sakic, Yzerman, Francis, and Esposito.

And on Esposito, all his production came in a 5-6 season stretch.

Hard for me to go too far before them. I?m not old enough to have seen guys much earlier

I?ll add that Crosby is up there and for what it?s worth, for guys of the era of the above, LaFontaine was as productive as any of them before injuries ended his career.

He?s top-15 all-time in points per game.

If the Sporting News thinks Guy LaFleur was a center, it has pretty well shot it's credibility.

Oh that?s on me, i was plucking from their top 100 list and mistakenly put him at center on my list

I?ll correct

I?d guess that Crosby is starting to make a case

for that 5th spot, and when all is said and done might air behind Mario

Honestly, why do we care what Zucc said? I know he was our favorite little hobbit but in the end he was a 50-60 point niche player. The fans version of a Torts Dubi love. He’s trying to defend his friend, even if he is wrong.

The Henrik retirement party has to end at some time.

Honestly, why do we care what Zucc said? I know he was our favorite little hobbit but in the end he was a 50-60 point niche player. The fans version of a Torts Dubi love. He’s trying to defend his friend, even if he is wrong.

The Henrik retirement party has to end at some time.

It’s getting the attention it’s getting because Zucc was a fan favorite and everyone knows him and Hank are close friends. That and there’s not much else to talk about.

No issue with him sticking up for his friend. Maybe a little sour grapes on his behalf. But I think he’s just being a mouthpiece for Hank, getting out there the things that Hank would like to express but can’t without looking badly.

Still think Georgiev goes and they ride it out with Hank as the backup for a year and go find a replacement.

You have 3 goalies..

2 of them "young"

1 of them comes in late and takes the #1 job.. Rendering the split in the beginning of the season null.

I don't see it as "disrespect" having the 38 year old goalie with the 3rd best numbers on the season sitting on the bench.. It makes even more sense when you get the opportunity to see what you have with the 24 year old goalie. You know what you have with #30, it makes no sense not to have #40 be the second keeper- especially when there may be some trade value to potentially grow.

If Hank were to start bitching about it publicly, its a real story.. Right now, in my mind, this is nothing more than the proper management of a hockey roster.

You have 3 goalies..

2 of them "young"

1 of them comes in late and takes the #1 job.. Rendering the split in the beginning of the season null.

I don't see it as "disrespect" having the 38 year old goalie with the 3rd best numbers on the season sitting on the bench.. It makes even more sense when you get the opportunity to see what you have with the 24 year old goalie. You know what you have with #30, it makes no sense not to have #40 be the second keeper- especially when there may be some trade value to potentially grow.

If Hank were to start bitching about it publicly, its a real story.. Right now, in my mind, this is nothing more than the proper management of a hockey roster.

All fair

Realistically, it only became an issue when Igor played so well and forced their hand. No one ever intends or desires to carry 3 goalies. It’s an issue roster-wise that no GM wants to encounter. And this issue arose purely out of circumstances. They didn’t have much of a choice but to just ride it out through the season when it came about. But it’s not something any team will go into a season with it persisting.

It’s a Hank buyout or a Hank retirement or a Hank trade or a a Georgiev trade whenever they’re able to make roster moves again.

That’s it

Hank will never go all-out bitch mode about it publicly. He’s far too classy and savvy for that.

You have 3 goalies..

2 of them "young"

...and zucc looking for attention