• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jacob Trouba Didn’t Live Up to Hype in First Rangers Season

Pete

Sure, it's 2020 and size isn't as important. But looking at the playoffs over the last few years I'd worry whether a right side of Fox, AdA and Lundkvist would be able to hold up against the heavy teams like St Louis, Washington etc. I'd also be concerned that you don't have a single RHD who you'd be comfortable handling tough defensive assignments. Maybe Fox or Lundkvist can be come that guy. But like I said before, we can argue whether Trouba was the right guy and the contract is certainly highly debatable, but you need someone like him the way the D is currently constructed.
I wouldn't give Trouba tough defensive assignments either. His defense is as overrated as his offense.

Yeah, if you traded him you would be looking for somebody like him 5 minutes later, but you wouldn't pay somebody like him $8 million a year this time.

I wouldn't give Trouba tough defensive assignments either. His defense is as overrated as his offense.

Yeah, if you traded him you would be looking for somebody like him 5 minutes later, but you wouldn't pay somebody like him $8 million a year this time.

Yeah, he’s not an elite shutdown guy, and afaik didn’t really play that role much for the Jets. The problem is he put up points on a stacked Jets pp, but the Rangers have two superior QB’s in Fox and AdA. So they’re kind of between a rock and a hard place with him.

That being said, based on what we know right now, I wouldn’t be comfortable with a right side of Fox, Lundkvist and Tony. Lacks balance for me.

Again would note Trouba may have gotten into some bad habits covering for a defensively-deficient partner in Skjei. His +/- numbers reflect that. Statistics don't happen in a vacuum . It's not like Trouba decided whom he he would play with every night. He got little PP time. And not faulting Quinn; he was stuck with playing a pretty set lineup of defensemen that included Staal all season and also Skjei and then Smith after Skjei was dealt. And with all that, Trouba was still a solid physical presence every night with decent production despite little PP time. If you get rid of him, you'll be looking to replace him. As others have said in the playoffs you need somebody like him.

Again would note Trouba may have gotten into some bad habits covering for a defensively-deficient partner in Skjei. His +/- numbers reflect that. Statistics don't happen in a vacuum . It's not like Trouba decided whom he he would play with every night. He got little PP time. And not faulting Quinn; he was stuck with playing a pretty set lineup of defensemen that included Staal all season and also Skjei and then Smith after Skjei was dealt. And with all that, Trouba was still a solid physical presence every night with decent production despite little PP time. If you get rid of him, you'll be looking to replace him. As others have said in the playoffs you need somebody like him.

Yea, with a $5 million player, not an $8 million player.

Everyone complained about Skjei being overpaid but his stats were very close to Trouba's (the good ones and the bad ones) and yet people somehow value Trouba and say he can get better...Both players are 26.

Oh, guess it's because Trouba now and then will hit a guy.

Not sure how we can keep blaming Skjei for Trouba's problem. At $8 million, Trouba should be capable of carrying a partner a bit.

Yeah who cares? Is Fox hindered by his size? Some of the best Dmen in the league are that size, it's 2020. All of our LD are huge anyway so we won't have a small D corps.

No Fox isn’t.

But ADA is bad defensively and Lundkvist has yet to play a single NA pro game as of yet.

While it’s true that size is less a factor now, they need some size and physicality back there and need so on both sides.

Usually big guys arent good skaters and in today’s NHL you have to be mobile. So i dont put too much stock into size compared to 15-20 years ago. But its nice to have if you do

I agree, but Trouba is very mobile and an excellent skater. And not just for a guy who is 6’3” and 210lbs. He’s a good skater and mobile by any standards.

You still need guys with size and grit to handle bigger forwards. Especially in late season and postseason games where the ice is smaller, game is more physical, and play is much chippier.

Yea, with a $5 million player, not an $8 million player.

Everyone complained about Skjei being overpaid but his stats were very close to Trouba's (the good ones and the bad ones) and yet people somehow value Trouba and say he can get better...Both players are 26.

Oh, guess it's because Trouba now and then will hit a guy.

Not sure how we can keep blaming Skjei for Trouba's problem. At $8 million, Trouba should be capable of carrying a partner a bit.

This is what I'm stuck on too, when you pay a guy a shit ton of money he should carry the load. I don't think he came close in that regard. Plus as you mentioned when it comes to the numbers Skjei's were in the same ballpark minus the occasional (not often enough imo) big hit. Anyway I believe we're stuck with him so I certainly hope he elevates his play to another level. But I do think this is a contract we will loath over the years ahead especially on the tail end.

I agree, but Trouba is very mobile and an excellent skater. And not just for a guy who is 6’3” and 210lbs. He’s a good skater and mobile by any standards.

You still need guys with size and grit to handle bigger forwards. Especially in late season and postseason games where the ice is smaller, game is more physical, and play is much chippier.

I don’t disagree, just wish he wasnt $8M per year. Im sure it will bite us in the ass eventually.