• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What is Tony DeAngelo Going to Cost?

Phil

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo no way he takes 5M on a long term deal. I mean the kid held out when he had zero leverage so I suspect he's going to get all he can going forward. He's an overly confident kid too so my guess is there's not going to be much "give" on his part, only take. IF he continues to earn it he has that right. I would be surprised if he's here in 3-4 years.

If he got a one-year arbitration award and followed this up with 70 points, he's getting $8 million minimum on a long-term extension.

Does that normally happen? From 900k to 8 million after the first full season? Even if it was his 2nd, I don't see it happening. Not enough time served to be awarded that leap.

This is just the business side of the game, Dude man. We can agree to disagree on ADA's game, and that's fine. You have all the reason in the world to believe that's he's a game breaking player. He's having one hell of a season too, I agree 100%. I just see it a little different, that's all;

I see a talented guy who's had a great season this year, but lacks in many areas to which I, as a fan, would like to see him improve in before the team goes and commits a long term, big money deal to....that's all.

As far as trading him; That depends on a lot of factors...considering he goes to arbitration after this season:

How does he play next season?

Does he improve his defense?

Can he improve his being prone to turnovers?

How much does he demand?

How many years does he want?

Who is behind him in the pipeline?

What can we get in return for him if we do deal him?

Are we in the playoffs come the deadline?

Are we buyers?

Are we sellers?

If DeAngelo can make progress as a defenseman, I'm cool and the gang with keeping him and giving him the moon, Dude. Guys like Nicklas Lidstrom don't grow on trees, I get it :rofl:

Let's see what goes down before we go pulling another "Skjei". Hopefully we learned something from that! :thumbs:

I hear ya. I just think it's the tip of the iceberg with this kid. You can see the natural talent level when he's carrying the puck and where he sends his passes when in the zone. It's way above average and that talent alone makes up for his defensive short comings.

He's shown this ability since the day they got him. With an actual opportunity, these are the results. This kid just keeps getting better and I think his skills will absolutely shine Inna playoff environment. Look at what guys like Karlsson and Krug do for their teams when they are in the playoffs. They make shit happen by drawing attention. Offensive D men are a luxury and this kid can only add more offensive elements to a top heavy team. I'm just scared he will take those aggressive penalties he seems to take when he's amped up.

If they make the playoffs, I think you'll come around on this kid soon enough. He's got gamer written all over him.

I hear ya. I just think it's the tip of the iceberg with this kid. You can see the natural talent level when he's carrying the puck and where he sends his passes when in the zone. It's way above average and that talent alone makes up for his defensive short comings.

He's shown this ability since the day they got him. With an actual opportunity, these are the results. This kid just keeps getting better and I think his skills will absolutely shine Inna playoff environment. Look at what guys like Karlsson and Krug do for their teams when they are in the playoffs. They make shit happen by drawing attention. Offensive D men are a luxury and this kid can only add more offensive elements to a top heavy team. I'm just scared he will take those aggressive penalties he seems to take when he's amped up.

If they make the playoffs, I think you'll come around on this kid soon enough. He's got gamer written all over him.

No one would love it more than me. I'd really like to see him progress, Dude! I suppose the angle I'm taking here is "I wanna see them win because of him, and not in spite of him".

But I'm with ya man!!

I think the path is clear. 2 year arb deal and see what he does when he's not in a contract year. After that you pay him what he's worth. Play Russian Roulette with the Russian Meddler.

Yup. That's the route I'd go. Arb due to lack of favorable comparables + light NHL resume (despite the success he's found this year). Learn from Skjei.

Yup. That's the route I'd go. Arb due to lack of favorable comparables + light NHL resume (despite the success he's found this year). Learn from Skjei.

I don't think that is learning from Skjei. Skjei was coming off back to back seasons of regression after a good rookie year. DeAngelo is coming off back to back seasons of progression. Also better than Skjei ever was.

The Rangers incorrectly bet on Skjei despite regression. Arbitration would risk incorrectly not betting on DeAngelo despite progression.

• Like 2

Yea.

You really have to go arb to get the 2 year deal you want.

Otherwise you have to go 1 year (been there) or long term and buy UFA years (not going there yet).

It's a shame they're paying Trouba so much.