• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What to do with Jesper Fast?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weren't you dumping on Brady Skjei the other day you Naysayer?

If you call this " dumping ", look up the definition. I simply said - in a nice way - what many others have said. It is evident to anyone watching that the has regressed. Doesn't mean the NYR should get rid of him as many have suggested.

" #76 surely has regressed from his stellar rookie season and has become a defensive liability in many situations. Might be time for some reflection in street clothes up in the blue seats where most of the moaners and groaners would have a field day. "

If you call this " dumping ", look up the definition. I simply said - in a nice way - what many others have said. It is evident to anyone watching that the has regressed. Doesn't mean the NYR should get rid of him as many have suggested.

" #76 surely has regressed from his stellar rookie season and has become a defensive liability in many situations. Might be time for some reflection in street clothes up in the blue seats where most of the moaners and groaners would have a field day. "

Yeah, because he'll get all that great playing experience up in the blue seats...good call! :palm:

Here's an idea: How about a real defense coach??

Sleepy-time, pappy....sleepy-time :z:

Wait, you say he's a defensive liability so you'd stick him up in the blue seats to get harrassed. That's not supposed to be interpreted as dumping on him? You're just a naysayer!

• Like 1

You're a Skjeisayer.

• Like 1

In all seriousness, we bash Skjei, but his play has improved.

Still needs to improve his decision making and turn the puck over less, but he’s been a bit better in his own end and he’s on pace to set career high in goals despite getting zero power play time

He's been improved offensively, I'll absolutely give him that. He's always been capable of going end to end using his size and speed. He's doing it a bit more this year and unafraid to join the rush. I'd give Quinn credit here because I'm sure he noticed this is one of Skjei's strengths and he has probably encouraged him to do so. I don't think he's been any better in his own end though.

My main issue with Skjei isn't his talent level or pace, it's just the numerous brain farts that he has never been able to remove or even make happen less frequently. Easily receivable passes going right through his stick, whiffed shots or passes, bad case of fumblitis, etc. It happens multiple times a game. It's perplexing given his aforementioned ability to carry the puck up on a rush and do some good things at times. Consistency is the name of the game here.

In all seriousness, we bash Skjei, but his play has improved.

Still needs to improve his decision making and turn the puck over less, but he’s been a bit better in his own end and he’s on pace to set career high in goals despite getting zero power play time

he's a detriment on defense, even if he carries the puck up the ice once a game. But again, my opinion of him has never changed

He's been improved offensively, I'll absolutely give him that. He's always been capable of going end to end using his size and speed. He's doing it a bit more this year and unafraid to join the rush. I'd give Quinn credit here because I'm sure he noticed this is one of Skjei's strengths and he has probably encouraged him to do so. I don't think he's been any better in his own end though.

My main issue with Skjei isn't his talent level or pace, it's just the numerous brain farts that he has never been able to remove or even make happen less frequently. Easily receivable passes going right through his stick, whiffed shots or passes, bad case of fumblitis, etc. It happens multiple times a game. It's perplexing given his aforementioned ability to carry the puck up on a rush and do some good things at times. Consistency is the name of the game here.

he's a detriment on defense, even if he carries the puck up the ice once a game. But again, my opinion of him has never changed

I’ll give no argument

Doesn’t make good decisions with the puck.

Move him back to the third pair. He’ll do fine.

I have a better idea:

Let's get a real defense coach that can make these guys progress, and have a clue what to do back there.

Pete's right....every defenseman that leaves here gets better....why??

2 words: Lindy Ruff....

I have a better idea:

Let's get a real defense coach that can make these guys progress, and have a clue what to do back there.

I had a longer post but deleted because I didnt want to get into the discussion, but here's my take:

Some guys arent put in a spot to be successful. Shattenkirk wasnt given top unit PP time, Pionk was overplayed and exposed defensively, Skjei is being played above his level.

If you look before Quinn/Ruff, this wasnt a trend. Girardi, Holden, McDonagh, McIlrath.

I had a longer post but deleted because I didnt want to get into the discussion, but here's my take:

Some guys arent put in a spot to be successful. Shattenkirk wasnt given top unit PP time, Pionk was overplayed and exposed defensively, Skjei is being played above his level.

If you look before Quinn/Ruff, this wasnt a trend. Girardi, Holden, McDonagh, McIlrath.

Shattenkirk played his way off the PP.

Pionk is in same role, #1 RD...

I wish you'd post it, Josh...this actually needs to be it's own thread at this point. I really think Ruff is an issue. The team concept of defense I think is not working. Yeah we can rely on Hank or Shesty to stand on their heads and it makes up for the lack of structure...but let's face it, this team's defense is really struggling.

We give up more Grade A chances in one period than a "normal" team gives up in a game!

...and our 3rd period "fall back, and withstand the barrage" strategy to hold a lead is nerve racking to say the least.

anyway, I hope you post what you were going to. I'd like to see your points, dude! :thumbs:

Shattenkirk played his way off the PP.

Pionk is in same role, #1 RD...

Pionk is playing with Morrissey and seeing almost all of his ice time with Winnipeg’s outstanding top-6 on the ice, and Hellebuyck has bailed them out a lot.

His numbers have gone from awful to average. While his play is better, a lot of it is smoke and mirrors.

Pionk is playing with Morrissey and seeing almost all of his ice time with Winnipeg?s outstanding top-6 on the ice, and Hellebuyck has bailed them out a lot.

His numbers have gone from awful to average. While his play is better, a lot of it is smoke and mirrors.

I don't buy that. I don't watch much Winnipeg but even his underlying stats are good and it's not like Morrissey is a Norris candidate. He's just another very good defenseman.

I have a better idea:

You think Ruff is teaching him the wrong things and that's the reason for the brain farts/ uninspiring play? I think that Skjei has all the physical tools to be a top pair d-man. He has size, speed, strength, and skill. What he lacks is an NHL brain. Have you ever tried to coach a guy that just doesn't get it? It's almost impossible and incredibly frustrating. Maybe a different coach can make a difference but entirely too much blame is being put on Ruff for Skjei's shortcomings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

You think Ruff is teaching him the wrong things and that's the reason for the brain farts/ uninspiring play? I think that Skjei has all the physical tools to be a top pair d-man. He has size, speed, strength, and skill. What he lacks is an NHL brain. Have you ever tried to coach a guy that just doesn't get it? It's almost impossible and incredibly frustrating. Maybe a different coach can make a difference but entirely too much blame is being put on Ruff for Skjei's shortcomings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I don't think Ruff is a defensive coach...He played wing most of his career.

I also don't think he's teaching him the wrong things, Kev. I think there are guys out there that can though. ...and with defense, it's no so much as what "TO DO"...it's what NOT TO DO! I been there...believe me...not on this level, but I can relate! ;)

I think Skjei's got what it takes...we've seen it in his rookie season a little...He just needs some TLC.

I don't buy that. I don't watch much Winnipeg but even his underlying stats are good and it's not like Morrissey is a Norris candidate. He's just another very good defenseman.

I’m not saying it’s entirely due to those things. But it’s hard to argue that it helps he sees so much ice time with 5 forwards, all of whom will top 30 goals and that he’s paired with a very good partner.

Both are significant upgrades over who he was playing with and behind last season.

I’m not entirely certain which underlying numbers you are referring to, but all his puck possession numbers that I’ve seen are right at 50%, give or take a small fraction. And they’ve completely reversed his zone starts.

He’s getting 55% offensive zone starts vs 45% last season.

They’ve utilized him differently and placed him in a better position to get the most out of what he is as a defenseman and he’s playing with better players.

I’ll give you that he looks way more comfortable and at home playing within their system vs Quinn’s last season.

But he’s seeing the bulk of his ice time with vastly superior personnel and in situations more conducive to success given his skill set.

Also getting nearly double the PP time vs last year

Most of it is playing with better players and benefiting from better and more appropriate utilization.

• Like 2

Pionk went from a career 57.2 dZS% with the Rangers to a 44.9 dZS% with Winnipeg.

Trouba went from a career 50.4 dZS% with Winnipeg to a 58.7 dZS% here.

Coupled with the fact that this team has been terrible on faceoffs for a while, our top pairing defensemen are put behind the 8 ball a lot in their own zone.

This really probably means Pionk wasn't as bad as we thought given his unfavorable usage, but his new favorable usage with the Jets also probably means he's not as good as his stats imply.

• Like 1

I?m not saying it?s entirely due to those things. But it?s hard to argue that it helps he sees so much ice time with 5 forwards, all of whom will top 30 goals and that he?s paired with a very good partner.

Both are significant upgrades over who he was playing with and behind last season.

I?m not entirely certain which underlying numbers you are referring to, but all his puck possession numbers that I?ve seen are right at 50%, give or take a small fraction. And they?ve completely reversed his zone starts.

He?s getting 55% offensive zone starts vs 45% last season.

They?ve utilized him differently and placed him in a better position to get the most out of what he is as a defenseman and he?s playing with better players.

I?ll give you that he looks way more comfortable and at home playing within their system vs Quinn?s last season.

But he?s seeing the bulk of his ice time with vastly superior personnel and in situations more conducive to success given his skill set.

Also getting nearly double the PP time vs last year

Most of it is playing with better players and benefiting from better and more appropriate utilization.

Bingo