• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Political Threads: Yay or Nay

Mike

Political Threads: Yay or Nay  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Political Threads: Yay or Nay

• Fuck political threads
    • Fuck Mikey, I want the political threads
    • I could take or leave them, they don?t bother me, only people do

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, threads are the multipage discussions like we're in now.

Are you suggesting banning people from threads? Or from the section, entirely?

I think there's confusion about "thread banning" and what that means.

Yeah, I'm a bit confused myself. Technically the politics talk happens in a subforum that's for other stuff besides that, but really it's mostly politics talk. Perhaps Politics can be it's own subforum to make it easy for restricting access.

Yes. I would absolutely thread ban/suspend. We don't need to lose good hockey posters over a heated argument in politics. Thread ban them from politics, and if it carries over to other forums then you start giving infractions with full board suspensions. Just my opinion.

I'm gonna discuss this internally with the team. We originally went about it the opposite, but this is a great point I hadn't considered (the affect it has on hockey). Thanks.

Yes. I would absolutely thread ban/suspend. We don't need to lose good hockey posters over a heated argument in politics. Thread ban them from politics, and if it carries over to other forums then you start giving infractions with full board suspensions. Just my opinion.
Agreed. Selfishly LOL.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to rmc51 again.

You’re going to lose them once they argue over politics. No one gets over it. Me and you fight in a political thread, we get banned, is that going to change how we feel about each other in a hockey thread? No. That’s the negative effect, because now even if we agree with one another about a hockey post, neither of us will engage with each other, rep each other, agree publicly, etc ... That creates less posting and fewer posts in threads. It needs to be nipped in the bud.

You?re going to lose them once they argue over politics. No one gets over it. Me and you fight in a political thread, we get banned, is that going to change how we feel about each other in a hockey thread? No. That?s the negative effect, because now even if we agree with one another about a hockey post, neither of us will engage with each other, rep each other, agree publicly, etc ... That creates less posting and fewer posts in threads. It needs to be nipped in the bud.

I understand where you're coming from. Valid point. I just feel that's maybe a small minority of posters who would carry over over from time to time. Just as an example, Pete and I have gone back and forth numerous times there and I've never held it against him in the Rangers forum. I know we have agreed on several Rangers topics. I don't know if I've seen anyone carry over a political argument into the main boards, but maybe it just gets deleted before I see it lol

I understand where you're coming from. Valid point. I just feel that's maybe a small minority of posters who would carry over over from time to time. Just as an example, Pete and I have gone back and forth numerous times there and I've never held it against him in the Rangers forum. I know we have agreed on several Rangers topics. I don't know if I've seen anyone carry over a political argument into the main boards, but maybe it just gets deleted before I see it lol
Agree.

I don't have an issue with toxicity spilling to other threads.

My issues comes with reading something that I can't help but reply to, for a variety of reasons.

But the answer seems to be I'm a toddler, so whatevs. No one is going to change anyone's mind and I've spent enough time on it.

You’re going to lose them once they argue over politics. No one gets over it. Me and you fight in a political thread, we get banned, is that going to change how we feel about each other in a hockey thread? No. That’s the negative effect, because now even if we agree with one another about a hockey post, neither of us will engage with each other, rep each other, agree publicly, etc ... That creates less posting and fewer posts in threads. It needs to be nipped in the bud.

You're trying to speak this into existence, IMO. I haven't seen any evidence of this. In fact, what we're seeing — from both sides of the aisle in the case of rmc and myself — is the opposite. That we don't hold grudges like this, or let political spats (of which we've shared many) negatively affect our ability to talk about the team, or frankly, any other subject.

You're trying to speak this into existence, IMO. I haven't seen any evidence of this. In fact, what we're seeing — from both sides of the aisle in the case of rmc and myself — is the opposite. That we don't hold grudges like this, or let political spats (of which we've shared many) negatively affect our ability to talk about the team, or frankly, any other subject.

It's a valid fear, but it is exactly that - a fear.

Absolutely not true. Grudges do carry over, people are put on ignore lists, etc. At one time Pete pissed me off so much in the political thread, I stopped responding to him and his posts anywhere on the forum. I have someone on ignore right now because of the political thread

Absolutely not true. Grudges do carry over, people are put on ignore lists, etc. At one time Pete pissed me off so much in the political thread, I stopped responding to him and his posts anywhere on the forum. I have someone on ignore right now because of the political thread
Please go back to that practice.

The plural of anecdote is not evidence.

You're one example. I'm pretty sure most users don't ignore another based on a single interaction in a single thread or section. My guess is it's more based on numerous interactions and overall posting style (perceived aggression/hostility, or stubborness) that spans the length of the forum, not just one of it's subsections.

You're one example. I'm pretty sure most users don't ignore another based on a single interaction in a single thread or section. My guess is it's more based on numerous interactions and overall posting style (perceived aggression/hostility, or stubborness) that spans the length of the forum, not just one of it's subsections.
Phil, at this point it's clear you're going to keep the section.

It's fine, it's your forum. You can do what you want to.

But the entire country is divided and people are not talking to friends, family and stop following each other on social based on politics. Is it so far fetched to believe that it happens here?

There are like a dozen users active in politics and hundreds DOZENS who don't even go in there.

There's a reason for that. You're really just better off on saying you're keeping it because you want it than to be so dismissive of what's right in front of you.

Phil, at this point it's clear you're going to keep the section.

It's fine, it's your forum. You can do what you want to.

But the entire country is divided and people are not talking to friends, family and stop following each other on social based on politics. Is it so far fetched to believe that it happens here?

There are like a dozen users active in politics and hundreds DOZENS who don't even go in there.

There's a reason for that. You're really just better off on saying you're keeping it because you want it than to be so dismissive of what's right in front of you.

Not at all. Is it so far-fetched to think that not talking about it is going to make that go away?

"I'm not interested in politics," is probably the reason why, too. Simplest solution is usually the correct one.

Not at all. Is it so far-fetched to think that not talking about it is going to make that go away?

"I'm not interested in politics," is probably the reason why, too. Simplest solution is usually the correct one.

I don't understand what the first paragraph means but I'm honestly too tired to keep going.