• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Kids Have Fight: Skeleton Squad Rangers Making Most of Remainder of Season

Phil

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For what purpose? They could sniff the playoffs next year, but that won't be because he is or isn't there.

The reason you dump him now is so that you move him to a team who thinks he can be a 40-point player. If you hold him next year and he ends up with 15 points, you won't get anything for him. His value won't get higher than it is as a 35-point player on an expiring contract.

I don't know if there'd be a market for him at the draft - probably not - but if someone offered me a 4th for him, I'd take it and not think twice. If you're really worried about filling out your bottom 6, just replace him with .

Think of it this way, would you trade 35-point Strome for a 4th, Jordan Weal, and $1.5m cap space?

I mean, replace him with Andersson. You're probably getting roughly the same level of play.

Because it means that your team is terrible and that Chytil hasn't developed.

I think this is the complete wrong way to look at the rebuild. This is the same thinking that labels Andersson as a bust at 20yo because he was drafted 7th. Who cares who developes in what roles so long as there’s development? Strome scoring 20 would be amazing. Just like Chytil scoring 20 would be amazing. As long as players are filling roles and the team is getting better who cares which player is doing what?

Yea I like him too, but you can't keep him at $4m long term, same as Namestnikov.

Those guys have inflated roles right now because of how bad this team is, but on a contender, they're 4th liners. Strome - Namestnikov - Fast is a contending 4th line, the problem is that two of those guys are paid too much. On a team that probably isn't going to contend next year, but might the year after, you've got to dump at least 1, and I think Strome is the one you try to move first. Plus he's a UFA after this year, so you might as well try to get a pick. Assuming they spend in FA this year...

Kreider - Zib - Vesey

Panarin - Howden - Chytil

Lemieux - Lias - Buch

Strome - Names - Fast

Nieves

You just can't do that, and this doesn't even include Kravtsov coming over.

Howden isn't a second liner and I'd probably say Names is moved well before Strome.

You can't just have kids all over the lineup. Strome is a utility guy you can slot anywhere. If he likes NY and you can get him at $4 mil, I do that all day every day. Just don't buy UFA years.

Howden isn't a second liner and I'd probably say Names is moved well before Strome.

You can't just have kids all over the lineup. Strome is a utility guy you can slot anywhere. If he likes NY and you can get him at $4 mil, I do that all day every day. Just don't buy UFA years.

44-pt Anisimov centered Panarin and Kane.

Then you're only signing him for one more year. He's going to be 26 when the season starts.

Namestnikov is better than Strome and has actually been effective in a top-6 role. I don't think Howden is really a top-6 C, but I'm just throwing names in there. But yea, you keep one or the other, not both.

To Josh' point, if he's playing with talent on the other side, they need a responsible C, not a playmaker. So Howden, Namestnikov, whatever. They don't necessarily need a top-6 C there, because they aren't going to have to drive play.

Namestnikov is better than Strome and has actually been effective in a top-6 role. I don't think Howden is really a top-6 C, but I'm just throwing names in there. But yea, you keep one or the other, not both.

To Josh' point, if he's playing with talent on the other side, they need a responsible C, not a playmaker. So Howden, Namestnikov, whatever. They don't necessarily need a top-6 C there, because they aren't going to have to drive play.

You're gonna have to to better than "better" considering Names were 25 games without a goal.

You're gonna have to to better than "better" considering Names were 25 games without a goal.

Strome had 3 in 37 to start the year, and 4 in 57 going back to last year. Same thing.

He's shooting 20%. When that comes back to normal, he's a 10-goal player, just like Namestnikov. I just like Namestnikov's transition game a lot better.

Strome had 3 in 37 to start the year, and 4 in 57 going back to last year. Same thing.

He's shooting 20%. When that comes back to normal, he's a 10-goal player, just like Namestnikov. I just like Namestnikov's transition game a lot better.

wow, talk about cherry picking stats. Why not just compare what they've done is Rangers? What do you think names would have done on Edmonton?

He's just pointing out the obvious. Both have good elements to their game, both lack any kind of real finishing ability. Both also had success playing with premium players but it's easier to slot a winger in to that situation than a C.

I like both, but both are overpaid.

wow, talk about cherry picking stats. Why not just compare what they've done is Rangers? What do you think names would have done on Edmonton?

You cherry picked a 25-game sample, I chose a 57-game sample. It's the exact same thing.

What Strome has done as a Ranger is meaningless, because he's shooting 20%.

What Strome did in Edmonton is meaningless because he only shot 3%

Sure. What Namest did in 25 games is meaningless because he shot 0%.

The point is that they're both bottom-6 forwards who can't score, so evaluating them against each other based on goal scoring is pointless. It's like choosing one of Tanner Glass or Cody McLeod based on assists.

Sure. What Namest did in 25 games is meaningless because he shot 0%.

The point is that they're both bottom-6 forwards who can't score, so evaluating them against each other based on goal scoring is pointless. It's like choosing one of Tanner Glass or Cody McLeod based on assists.

Ok, so stop making statement about who is "better" and just tell it like it is, you happen to like one players better for a non-quantifiable reason. Same as you disliked Brassard for a non-quantifiable reason.

I have liked Strome's compete level; well, Vlad's too since whatever brain surgery happened in the Quinn Bin. I will wish both of them good fortune, because neither one is here on 10/1/21, right? They will each likely go out as part of a mind-numbing rotation of placeholders, spare parts, and unbroken colts until then.

Archived