• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade F Kevin Hayes to WPG for F Brendan Lemieux, 2019 1st, Conditional Picks

Phil

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m liking Newhook, as I begin my scouting. He’s listed a bit lower on most boards, 12-15, so another “off the board” pick for ripple to complain about.

Dach is slow and Krebs is a character guy. So we are about to be an angry and disappointed fan base, again

I've still yet to find anyone that can adequately explain the hype behind Hughes. I can't find anywhere where he's produced at a level commiserate with the attached hype. He's 3rd on his team in scoring, almost all assists in a similar league to Newhook, who is essentially unstoppable.

Even going back to when both were 15, Hughes struggled in the OHL playoffs, Newhook played one game had an assist and took a major misconduct.

I'm at the point where it seems to me that nobody will take an objective look at Hughes and thus he remains some McDavid level prospect despite never producing anything, anywhere.

I've still yet to find anyone that can adequately explain the hype behind Hughes. I can't find anywhere where he's produced at a level commiserate with the attached hype. He's 3rd on his team in scoring, almost all assists in a similar league to Newhook, who is essentially unstoppable.

Even going back to when both were 15, Hughes struggled in the OHL playoffs, Newhook played one game had an assist and took a major misconduct.

I'm at the point where it seems to me that nobody will take an objective look at Hughes and thus he remains some McDavid level prospect despite never producing anything, anywhere.

Hughes size scares me.

Where can I read good info on Newhook?

He plays an aggressive style, seeking out physical battles all over the ice for the puck. He?s an eager participant ? if not the catalyst ? in lots of the shenanigans after the whistle. Ever since Dan Carcillo and Derek Dorsett departed five years ago, the fanbase, and maybe even the team, has been craving a shit-stirrer with actual NHL ability.

Brendan Lemieux is that. Well, hold on; Lemieux is that in theory. Looking under the hood reveals a handful of red flags.

Lemieux was a relatively successful offensive contributor back to his days in the Ontario Hockey League. Nobody would have mistaken him for being spectacularly gifted, but 27 goals and 53 points in 65 games is plentiful for a player like him. Maybe he was not the ideal selection at 31st overall, as Buffalo made him the following June, but he was certainly within range. He steadily improved the following seasons, including in the AHL. Last season he produced 43 points in 51 games for the Manitoba Moose. Not a hair-raising number for a 21-year-old by any means, but definitely indicative of someone with a possible NHL future ? especially as 30 of those 43 points were primary.

That scoring ability has not translated to the NHL yet. Yes, he has 9 goals in 44 games for the Jets so far this season, but that is fool?s gold. Per Evolving Hockey, Lemieux is shooting an absurd and unsustainable 24.32% this season. In fact, based on his shot quality, his expected goals on the season is 3.88, or about five fewer than what he has actually produced. The video more or less backs this up.

Granted, there are some sample size issues here, but Jets players tend to have a higher rate of the shot share (Corsi) away from Lemieux as opposed to with him. His defensive impact seems to be passable, though hardly great. The bigger issue appears to be that he is limited in creating offense. Sure, he battles for pucks behind the net and creates some chaos atop the crease, but that?s about it at the NHL level so far. He?s not particularly adept at carrying the puck or making passes. Pull away the frills that are the antics and fisticuffs, and what the Rangers have in Lemieux right now is a forward who has few, limited positive impacts on the NHL game and some notable deficiencies.

There are still reasons to be hopeful that Lemieux can become an NHL contributor. For one, he does turn just 23 in March and has just 53 NHL games under his belt. There is leash left here.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/2/26/18240548/brendan-lemieux-trade-scouting-report-new-york-rangers-winnipeg-jets-trading-deadline-kevin-hayes?utm_campaign=adamzherman&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I’m liking Newhook, as I begin my scouting. He’s listed a bit lower on most boards, 12-15, so another “off the board” pick for ripple to complain about.

Dach is slow and Krebs is a character guy. So we are about to be an angry and disappointed fan base, again

U18's are in April. Interested in seeing Byram and Broberg for our potential 6 to 9ish pick. Then, depending on how all the conditional picks work out, try to trade up into the teens for Newhook or Kaliyev.

U18's are in April. Interested in seeing Byram and Broberg for our potential 6 to 9ish pick. Then, depending on how all the conditional picks work out, try to trade up into the teens for Newhook or Kaliyev.

I havent looked at defensive prospects at all

Well technically they could kind of force him out by making him the backup. It would be a PR nightmare but probably piss him off enough to not spend the rest of his career on the bench.

Yeah, because nothing says "sign here," like running your franchise out of town.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I wouldn’t be surprised if they kept him, but I would be stunned if he got the “c”. I think he’ll get an “a” just because of his tenure here, maybe.

Is this your insider knowledge? Obviously it's next to impossible for a fan ever to know who should or shouldn't be captain...from what I've seen and heard he seems to meet most of the criteria to be a captain.

Reading and hearing some of Quinn's quotes maybe Zibs ends up being the guy. He seems to have made great strides on and off the ice in that role.

I like new hook as well and lavoie too. Turcotte or Zegras. The rangers will get a really good player, that’s for sure. As far as Hughes. I have a hard time comparing stats with all the leagues these guys come from being so drastically diferent. I thought he was on pace to out score Matthews and Kane at the us development team level? Is that wrong? Also as far as seeing him play at The wjc and a couple of other tournaments he clearly plays the game at another pace than his peers. To me he was two steps faster than anyone I saw. In that regard his speed was Mcdavid like. Size and injuries to me are realistic concerns. I don’t think he’s on Mcdavid a level but that is not a knock. I totally understand the hype when I watch his game. Eye test is obvious again imo. Stats and such I thought he was breaking records, I guess that’s wrong?

I like new hook as well and lavoie too. Turcotte or Zegras. The rangers will get a really good player, that’s for sure. As far as Hughes. I have a hard time comparing stats with all the leagues these guys come from being so drastically diferent. I thought he was on pace to out score Matthews and Kane at the us development team level? Is that wrong? Also as far as seeing him play at The wjc and a couple of other tournaments he clearly plays the game at another pace than his peers. To me he was two steps faster than anyone I saw. In that regard his speed was Mcdavid like. Size and injuries to me are realistic concerns. I don’t think he’s on Mcdavid a level but that is not a knock. I totally understand the hype when I watch his game. Eye test is obvious again imo. Stats and such I thought he was breaking records, I guess that’s wrong?

Matthews was playing overseas at that age.

Last season, Hughes was 1 point shy of the single season record, held by Matthews. But Hughes season included stats from u17 and u18 teams.

That's my real beef. The USNDT or whatever it is, made sense at one time but now I don't understand its use. I'm supposed to take exhibition points at face value or some dumb shit like that.

"Oh but they try really hard in those games, it's against college teams!"

Sorry, that doesn't impress me.

I do think Hughes has retained the #1 spot, as Fatcesca said his game was on another level at the WJC but I'd say it was parts if his game. He doesn't score. Period.