• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Call F Lias Andersson

Phil

It's so odd that he was called up and Boo was the scratch.

Wonder if a team wanted another look at him or something.

At Andersson? Then why play him on the fourth line? If you're showcasing, why don't you, you know, showcase?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At Andersson? Then why play him on the fourth line? If you're showcasing, why don't you, you know, showcase?

B/c playing against an opponents top-6 might not actually showcase anything. It's not like playing with Vesey and Buch would be any more advantageous than playing with Chytli. He played 10:41 at 5v5 anyways, that's plenty.

B/c playing against an opponents top-6 might not actually showcase anything. It's not like playing with Vesey and Buch would be any more advantageous than playing with Chytli. He played 10:41 at 5v5 anyways, that's plenty.

They could have at least put him on the third line and tried to get him towards 15/16 mins total. I'd buy a "showcase" with that kind of increase in role so much more than a fourth-line role in which he barely played a sixth of the game.

They could have at least put him on the third line and tried to get him towards 15/16 mins total. I'd buy a "showcase" with that kind of increase in role so much more than a fourth-line role in which he barely played a sixth of the game.

I mean, they're probably "showcasing" Vesey, Namestnikov, Strome and Buch too. Idk what 3 more shifts would accomplish for Lias, espeically since Chytil is a better playmaker than anyone on that 3rd line.

The point with Lias would be just to prove that he's NHL ready, not that he's top-6 ready. Nobody's going to buy that off of one game and no team who might want to acquire him would be thinking he's a top-6 forward tomorrow anyways.

I could buy time on the PP, I guess.

Postgame Quinn said “Lias has been playing well, and a little competition never hurts”

Strange. He hasn’t been playing well.

Well, he wasn't going to say "we called him up even though he hasn't earned it." It's a curious move, which I suppose is in anticipation of the post deadline tank. Just let him play, promotion deserved or not, and see what happens. Who knows what their real feelings about Lias are. This may be a matter of what is effectively a last chance earlier than anyone thinks or it may just be part of a five year program with him in which we give him every chance to stick until he's 23. Slats gave up on Brendl after two years, although he wasn't the one who picked him to begin with.

You know it's fucked when fans have little to no faith when it comes to higher picks. I personally trust them more in later rounds.

People expect too much. Just be happy they picked 3 times last year and 2 the year before. Whether it was the 7th or 9th or 21st pick it doesn’t matter so long as some of them contribute down the road.

People expect too much. Just be happy they picked 3 times last year and 2 the year before. Whether it was the 7th or 9th or 21st pick it doesn’t matter so long as some of them contribute down the road.

Anything after 10th overall seems to work out OK. Prior to that, well you already know how its gone.

Not a fan of the Kravtsov pick LT?
Bear with me through this rather long post.

Here's my feelings on the Kravstov pick, and some apply to the Lias pick as well.

Obviously thrilled with the upside of the pick. But most of these guys, especially the Russians, you never know what you have until they get here. He could be Tarasenko, he could be Antropov.

Now, these are the kinds of things you read on this board:

- No pick is a sure thing

- These players take time, you can't judge them too early

- We need elite level talent

- No more middle six players

It's so random, and while all of those things may be true on their own, they can't all be true at one time if you are going to say you're happy with guys like Anderson. They picked a guy at 7, who if we are realistically speaking, right now looks like he's gonna give you Cally type play. I mean I'm sorry, but he's not going to (at this point) get that much faster or get a bigger frame (yea, he'll fill out).

Regarding Kravstov, if he's Antropov, then we drafted in the top 10 for 2 straight years and got some 60ish point guys...And we've already seen what happens when your best players are 60ish point guys. It's just not good enough and you have to sell a ton to get a Rick Nash-type that puts you over the edge.

Now...All that said...Lias could become Landeskog and Kravstov could become Kuznetsov, but when in recent memory has that ever happened to the Rangers? So we can't really blame fans for feeling some type of way.

Personally, I look forward to the day Gordie Clark is shown the door. McIlrath over Tarasenko is a career ending maneuver, IMO.

I agree with most of that.

Right now the Andersson pick looks bad, but it’s still early. However, even if he does pan out I doubt he’s more than a 3C. 2C at a massive push. So I hope they’re done going “safe” with the high picks. You have to swing for the fences on upside, as they have enough middle six type guys. Which leads to Kravtsov and Miller, where they went for upside and who right now look like brilliant picks.

Right now the Andersson pick looks bad, but it?s still early. However, even if he does pan out I doubt he?s more than a 3C. 2C at a massive push. So I hope they?re done going ?safe? with the high picks. You have to swing for the fences on upside, as they have enough middle six type guys. Which leads to Kravtsov and Miller, where they went for upside and who right now look like brilliant picks.

We're in agreement.

Not a fan of the Kravtsov pick LT?

I?m reserving judgement for now. My point was, the Rangers have had success with players picked after 10th overall. See Kreider, JT Miller, Skjei etc. Mcilrath was a major bust, and at least for the time being, I?m just not seeing why Anderssen was taken 7th overall. I?m hoping he pans out, I really do; but I?m just not seeing much of anything atm. Your following post summed up my feelings nicely.

Right now the Andersson pick looks bad, but it?s still early. However, even if he does pan out I doubt he?s more than a 3C. 2C at a massive push. So I hope they?re done going ?safe? with the high picks. You have to swing for the fences on upside, as they have enough middle six type guys. Which leads to Kravtsov and Miller, where they went for upside and who right now look like brilliant picks.

The rest of the world viewed Andersson as a mid to late first round choice. After two years, the rest of the world looks right. He may yet have a long career as a solid third line player, but that's the kind of guy who goes mid to late first round. If you are not going to get first line players from your No.7 picks, where do you expect to get them?

Archived