• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Musical Guilty Pleasures... Be Honest

Flynn

I play piano in an acoustic roots kind of geezer band doing old r'n'r, classic country, blues, folk, etc. So when the family jumps into the car, there will likely as not be some stride or boogie woogie player on who died before 1950, or a honky tonk guy like Moon Mullican. Usually sounds like it was recorded inside a Coke bottle at the bottom of a swimming pool. I don't know if I feel guilty about it, but my wife and kids sure seem to think I ought to.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I play piano in an acoustic roots kind of geezer band doing old r'n'r, classic country, blues, folk, etc. So when the family jumps into the car, there will likely as not be some stride or boogie woogie player on who died before 1950, or a honky tonk guy like Moon Mullican. Usually sounds like it was recorded inside a Coke bottle at the bottom of a swimming pool. I don't know if I feel guilty about it, but my wife and kids sure seem to think I ought to.

Do you guys write your own stuff?

Post links. I think there are a couple of musicians on the forum who would love to listen, myself included.

As for more guilty pleasures, you got me thinking of The Dead South -

And I love ©rap -

And Chance -

And this stupid song whatever it is -

haha sounds authentic. Tell them that. Follow it up with "get real".

Ha, probably his prized vintage model glue, those guys knew how to party. Ya gotta have more stories from those crazy times. Opening for Ian Hunter, nice!

I never really liked most punk since they tried to hard to avoid musical skill and melody. Yet, I fell hard for the Clash, right from their great first album. Got into Blondie (it was HS) and they were fresh. The Talking Heads were a whole different amazing new wavish animal. The funny thing about Television, saw them last year at Wilco's Solid Sound Fest with Kurt Vile. Was surprised my 11 y/o girl loved all 3 bands. Who'd da thunk.

Can't argue with your list. Deep Purple and Gary Moore weren't my thing, but the rest... definitely. I'd substitute the great prog rockers of Yes, Rush and early Genesis instead, since that list leans to bigtime HOF acts. Can't believe I left out Queen and Stevie Ray, they rocked my world. Had just seen SRV w/Joe Cocker about a week before the Copter crash at Alpine Valley. Speaking of amazing white blues Guitarists (besides Duane and Stevie), in college we'd listen to Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanon, Jeff Beck and the Dixie Dregs all at the same sitting, for some odd reason.

Good stuff, do you still see live music? Any current bands you enjoy?

I just started listening to Kury Vile and I saw his former band War on Drugs. I didn't get a chance to see him when he was in the NYC area. The Clash "The Only Band That Mattered" I was lucky enough to see them 5 times, where you able to see them at Bonds? The first time I saw them live it was HOLY SHIT !!!!!! and I was hooked. I recently saw Django Django at LPR, David Byrne in Monmouth University, The Horrors at Asbury Lanes, Interpol in Philly, Depeche Mode at Barclays, Olufur Arnolds at LPR, The Pretenders in Red Bank and Steve Windwood in NJPAC all this year and I'm sure I'm missing a few others. A lot easier for me to go to concerts now that my son's are young adults.

Ha, probably his prized vintage model glue, those guys knew how to party. Ya gotta have more stories from those crazy times. Opening for Ian Hunter, nice!

I never really liked most punk since they tried to hard to avoid musical skill and melody. Yet, I fell hard for the Clash, right from their great first album. Got into Blondie (it was HS) and they were fresh. The Talking Heads were a whole different amazing new wavish animal. The funny thing about Television, saw them last year at Wilco's Solid Sound Fest with Kurt Vile. Was surprised my 11 y/o girl loved all 3 bands. Who'd da thunk.

Can't argue with your list. Deep Purple and Gary Moore weren't my thing, but the rest... definitely. I'd substitute the great prog rockers of Yes, Rush and early Genesis instead, since that list leans to bigtime HOF acts. Can't believe I left out Queen and Stevie Ray, they rocked my world. Had just seen SRV w/Joe Cocker about a week before the Copter crash at Alpine Valley. Speaking of amazing white blues Guitarists (besides Duane and Stevie), in college we'd listen to Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanon, Jeff Beck and the Dixie Dregs all at the same sitting, for some odd reason.

Good stuff, do you still see live music? Any current bands you enjoy?

Can't tell you HALF the s&^t that went down at CB's...yeah, the Ramones boys knew how to party but not like some of the junkies that made that place HQ. There's a movie about Hilly Crystal and CB's that's pretty accurate about the stink and err, restrooms. Debbie H was pretty crazy. Spent a long cold drive in a van from NY to northern CT with her. She was looking to "keep warm" but decided the bass player was cuter... (story of my musician life). The punk guys weren't really trying to avoid musical skill, trust me. It came naturally.... Ian Hunter was the best. After our first show the leader of my band asked if I wanted to meet Ian. Yeah, I'm gonna say no. We walked into his dressing room and stopped mid sentence, looked at me and said "Mate, you're one hell of a guitar player" What he DID'NT do is follow that with "Wanna join my band?" (the story of my musician life...)

Just turned on to some old local LA down and dirty blues that were pretty big time locally. Stones, Clapton, the Kings supposedly all came to see them when they were in town. The Red Devils and the other fav Johnny Mastro and Momma's Boys. There's a great local roots, rockabilly, blues scene here in Long Beach. High caliber players. Another band I just happened on is Cadillac Moon. They are the band playing in the bar scene in Devils Advocate. Never noticed it 'til just recently. KILLER groove to Show Me Your Tattto. And St Paul and the Broken Bones I just caught on a TV special. Little chunky nerdy white guy singer sounds like friggin Otis Redding!!!!!

The LI copy scene was killer back in the day. Local band called Rat Race Choir had a guitar player that would have destroyed Van Halen at his own game if he got the same recogintion

Moon Mullican...GREAT STUFF!!!!

Can't tell you HALF the s&^t that went down at CB's...yeah, the Ramones boys knew how to party but not like some of the junkies that made that place HQ. There's a movie about Hilly Crystal and CB's that's pretty accurate about the stink and err, restrooms. Debbie H was pretty crazy. Spent a long cold drive in a van from NY to northern CT with her. She was looking to "keep warm" but decided the bass player was cuter... (story of my musician life). The punk guys weren't really trying to avoid musical skill, trust me. It came naturally.... Ian Hunter was the best. After our first show the leader of my band asked if I wanted to meet Ian. Yeah, I'm gonna say no. We walked into his dressing room and stopped mid sentence, looked at me and said "Mate, you're one hell of a guitar player" What he DID'NT do is follow that with "Wanna join my band?" (the story of my musician life...)

I saw Ian Hunter play about a year ago when he opened up for the J. Geils Band at the Beacon and he could still really sing. What year was it that you met Ian? I had seen him right around the time when his hit song was Just Another Night.

I saw Ian Hunter play about a year ago when he opened up for the J. Geils Band at the Beacon and he could still really sing. What year was it that you met Ian? I had seen him right around the time when his hit song was Just Another Night.

I was in a band called....Fats Deacon and the Dumbwaiters.....yeah, I know, don't ask... we opened Fri and Sat night for Ian at the Ritz on 11th I think it was. Early 80's. Martin Briley (Salt in my Tears) was his guitar player at the time. Martin was a prick to me.... It was pretty funny actually. I had the same head of hair as Ian at the time and after sound check when we went out the front door everyone on line was shouting at me "HEY IAN!!! Can I get an autograph!!!"

The Beacon is still around? I saw Jeff Beck there around '80 something. GREAT show

I was in a band called....Fats Deacon and the Dumbwaiters.....yeah, I know, don't ask... we opened Fri and Sat night for Ian at the Ritz on 11th I think it was. Early 80's. Martin Briley (Salt in my Tears) was his guitar player at the time. Martin was a prick to me.... It was pretty funny actually. I had the same head of hair as Ian at the time and after sound check when we went out the front door everyone on line was shouting at me "HEY IAN!!! Can I get an autograph!!!"

The Beacon is still around? I saw Jeff Beck there around '80 something. GREAT show

That's cool you got to open up for Ian Hunter would've been nice if there were a few members of Mott the Hopple were playing with him. Also, good to hear he had something nice to say to you. The Ritz was changed to Webster Hall and it is now closed down for renovations, but a great place to see a show.

Just turned on to some old local LA down and dirty blues that were pretty big time locally. Stones, Clapton, the Kings supposedly all came to see them when they were in town. The Red Devils and the other fav Johnny Mastro and Momma's Boys. There's a great local roots, rockabilly, blues scene here in Long Beach. High caliber players. Another band I just happened on is Cadillac Moon. They are the band playing in the bar scene in Devils Advocate. Never noticed it 'til just recently. KILLER groove to Show Me Your Tattto. And St Paul and the Broken Bones I just caught on a TV special. Little chunky nerdy white guy singer sounds like friggin Otis Redding!!!!!

The LI copy scene was killer back in the day. Local band called Rat Race Choir had a guitar player that would have destroyed Van Halen at his own game if he got the same recogintion

Holy shit, great stuff, great times. Debbie, the rebel bunny, a sexy free wheeling blondie? Ha, you almost got lucky.

You probably met photographer Mick Rock, he was all over CB's and Max's KC. Check out the cool documentary about him called SHOT! It has Mick's audiotapes and obviously pics of the scene and will really take you back. Speaking of junkies, it covers his addiction too, but well done.

St Paul and BBs, I dig. I'll have to check-out some of the others. Definitely would love to hear half-the-shit. Can you remember most of it?

Holy shit, great stuff, great times. Debbie, the rebel bunny, a sexy free wheeling blondie? Ha, you almost got lucky.

You probably met photographer Mick Rock, he was all over CB's and Max's KC. Check out the cool documentary about him called SHOT! It has Mick's audiotapes and obviously pics of the scene and will really take you back. Speaking of junkies, it covers his addiction too, but well done.

St Paul and BBs, I dig. I'll have to check-out some of the others. Definitely would love to hear half-the-shit. Can you remember most of it?

Don't remember Mick and yeah I prob don't remember too much anyway....I got there later ( '78-'79) when it was getting more hard core (Dictators, Dead Boys, Voidiods, Patti Smith was there often)

I was only about 18-19 and and wide eyed Long Island boy. But I was there most times with one of the founders of the NY Dolls (Rick Rivets, kicked out right before they broke!) so I had cred. I do remember being there one night when Bowie and Lou Reed were in the club. I couldn't get near them though.

Don't remember Mick and yeah I prob don't remember too much anyway....I got there later ( '78-'79) when it was getting more hard core (Dictators, Dead Boys, Voidiods, Patti Smith was there often)

I was only about 18-19 and and wide eyed Long Island boy. But I was there most times with one of the founders of the NY Dolls (Rick Rivets, kicked out right before they broke!) so I had cred. I do remember being there one night when Bowie and Lou Reed were in the club. I couldn't get near them though.

Oh, you have to check-out SHOT! then. Mick Rock was a Brit who lived in NYC. I mentioned Mick's audiotapes, but forgot to say they're intimate chats with mostly Lou Reed and with Bowie, among other. Amazing conversations, especially with Reed.

Mentioned above...Rat Race Chior - my ears are still ringing nearly 40 years after hearing them. Loudest band I ever heard in a club near Fordham U. or was it at the school in a concert inside the gym? Too dazed and confused to remember.

Band was GREAT!!!! Easily as good as any of the heavyweights at the time. Zep, Who, Tull, UK... the guitar player Mark Hitt easily as good as Van Halen. In fact they did a 40 year reunion show last Dec on Long Island. Since then I have been doing Skype guitar lessons with Mark. And he's better than ever. The current line up of Rat Race just played a 50th anniversary date!

Sucks that of all the great bands at the time Twisted Sister was the one that made it the furthest out of that scene.

• 1 month later...

Archived