• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Musical Guilty Pleasures... Be Honest

Flynn

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love almost everything top 40. I can jam out to Ariana Grande anytime

14/10 year old daughters made me have far more exposure to top 40 than I'd have ever imagined having. I'm embarrassed at how many songs I know the words to..

I've determined I'm developing a hatred of all these mashup songs.. A band like say Maroon 5- can they not anything solo any more? Also, anything with Florida Georgia Line in it makes me want to drive off a bridge.

Holy shit, I have so many guilty pleasures...I need to compose myself.

Most female pop is right up my alley, the cornier, the better.

Danity Kane - Damaged -

Velvet Angels - Like to watch -

Bieber - Love Yourself -

Most Selena Gomez. Love me some Katy Perry. Love TS.

Jeez, I could do this for hours, but need to get back to this meeting.

Right there with you bro

99% of anything after the early 80's BLOWS

The other 1%

Talking Heads - Remain in Light in 80, then Stop Making Sense with Eno, then....

Or kick-off 1980 with The Clash's Jan release of London Calling only to be followed up with a completely different and just as brilliant 'Sandanista'.

Ring in the New Year with Pink Floyd's The Wall

Prince kicks in the 80's with sexy pop like 1999, even before Purple Rain and jamming with miles davis for some of the best live music you never heard.

Our last album from Lennon in 1980, before being killed.

Bob Marley gifts us Uprising in 80 too.

Peter Gabriel starts killing it in 1980. Album after album.

Damn Elvis Costello introduction on SNL is iconic.

REM's 1st Album 'Murmur' in 83 was groundbreaking, epic and changed alt/indy music.

The Police were blowing up, great albums. Shows still fun, Sting not pretentious yet.

The Pretenders - Chrissie Hynde raped me over and over. She made RocknRoll and the 80's her bitch.

The Smiths- 82 on, listen to anything

The Cure starts a string of acclaimed albums beginning in 1980.

Joy Division - 1980 we get 'Closer'! Then New Order.

Zappa producing 4-5 albums a year. 81, 82, 84, 88 tours represent some of the best live music ever by any band.

Blondie, the Ramones and the whole NY/NJ Velvet Underground punky new wave scene.

The Grateful Dead still playing year round, every year.

Bowie and Eno's Scary Monsters in 80 and more later

Most of U2's stuff right up to mid 80's peaking with the Joshua Tree.

Springsteen, Yes, The Stones and other iconic bands from the 70's still doing some decent stuff.

Roxy Music - Avalon in 82

The The, another great Brit band.

And a few others....

The Pixies

XTC

Kraftwerk

Black Flag

Lauri Anderson

Cocteau Twins

Kate Bush

Michael Jackson's Thriller

or AC/DC's 1980 Back in Black

10,000 Maniacs

Scientist

The Meat Puppets

Bad Brains

Tom Waits

Sinead O'Connor

Siouxsie and the Banshees

Violent Femmes

Tears for Fears

Run DMC

Depeche Mode

That's just the first half of the decade.

Oh no, you want great stuff from the 90's, 00's, 10's and now? Shit, that'll take hours.

For you guys wanting new stuff with chicks singing that you can take your girl to? Try Angel Olson's My Woman album. Smokin voice, excellent album throughout. For a good taste of her live act check her out on Austin City Limits

Or check out St Vincent's latest album. Courtney Barnett is almost a Lou Reed beatnik redux prolific songwriter with catchy licks and lyrics. So much good shit you'll never hear on traditional radio or see on the charts.

Oh no, you want great stuff from the 90's, 00's, 10's and now? Shit, that'll take hours.

For you guys wanting new stuff with chicks singing that you can take your girl to? Try Angel Olson's My Woman album. Smokin voice, excellent album throughout. For a good taste of her live act check her out on Austin City Limits

Or check out St Vincent's latest album. Courtney Barnett is almost a Lou Reed beatnik redux prolific songwriter with catchy licks and lyrics. So much good shit you'll never hear on traditional radio or see on the charts.

I'll check out you recommendations and I love Austin City Limits just recently recorded and watched St. Vincent. I'm also a big fan of Beach House for some downtempo music or Olufur Arnold combination of ambient/classical style of music.

I'll check out you recommendations and I love Austin City Limits just recently recorded and watched St. Vincent. I'm also a big fan of Beach House for some downtempo music or Olufur Arnold combination of ambient/classical style of music.

Nice Paddy, I dig Beach House quite a bit, I'll have to check out Olufur Arnold, sounds interesting. Angel Olson took me by surprise. Got a chance to check out Governor's Ball Summer 2017 and she rocked out and blew it up. Definitely the most talked about surprise there. I think on ACL the first half is Norah Jones, so only 4-5 tunes were televised.

St Vincent did a festival tour in summer 2016 and AXS (Mark Cuban network) showed the huge fest. St Vincent was the headliner one night and they showed a 7 song set that was mind-bending, raw, rockin, out there, and still melodic. It was her and her hot Asian friend playing various string instruments including electric fiddle. I had it on DVR but it got accidently erased. Got to locate that show.

Lana Del Rey does not seem too guilty, that's pretty good stuff, thanks for the music. She has an excellent voice and her Producer did not try work those songs to sound like everything else that is popular. They actually went for quality over appealing to unwitting kids. The lyrics are a bit more for someone 19, but ya can't have everything.

The other 1%

Talking Heads - Remain in Light in 80, then Stop Making Sense with Eno, then....

Or kick-off 1980 with The Clash's Jan release of London Calling only to be followed up with a completely different and just as brilliant 'Sandanista'.

Ring in the New Year with Pink Floyd's The Wall

Prince kicks in the 80's with sexy pop like 1999, even before Purple Rain and jamming with miles davis for some of the best live music you never heard.

Our last album from Lennon in 1980, before being killed.

Bob Marley gifts us Uprising in 80 too.

Peter Gabriel starts killing it in 1980. Album after album.

Damn Elvis Costello introduction on SNL is iconic.

REM's 1st Album 'Murmur' in 83 was groundbreaking, epic and changed alt/indy music.

The Police were blowing up, great albums. Shows still fun, Sting not pretentious yet.

The Pretenders - Chrissie Hynde raped me over and over. She made RocknRoll and the 80's her bitch.

The Smiths- 82 on, listen to anything

The Cure starts a string of acclaimed albums beginning in 1980.

Joy Division - 1980 we get 'Closer'! Then New Order.

Zappa producing 4-5 albums a year. 81, 82, 84, 88 tours represent some of the best live music ever by any band.

Blondie, the Ramones and the whole NY/NJ Velvet Underground punky new wave scene.

The Grateful Dead still playing year round, every year.

Bowie and Eno's Scary Monsters in 80 and more later

Most of U2's stuff right up to mid 80's peaking with the Joshua Tree.

Springsteen, Yes, The Stones and other iconic bands from the 70's still doing some decent stuff.

Roxy Music - Avalon in 82

The The, another great Brit band.

And a few others....

The Pixies

XTC

Kraftwerk

Black Flag

Lauri Anderson

Cocteau Twins

Kate Bush

Michael Jackson's Thriller

or AC/DC's 1980 Back in Black

10,000 Maniacs

Scientist

The Meat Puppets

Bad Brains

Tom Waits

Sinead O'Connor

Siouxsie and the Banshees

Violent Femmes

Tears for Fears

Run DMC

Depeche Mode

That's just the first half of the decade.

And 90% of THAT list ehhhhh?.

And 90% of THAT list ehhhhh….

haha, well i don't love it all either, especially now. But if you wanna know where you are going it is good to know where you are coming from. Curious about your 10%, what were you listening to in the early 80's?

well, give us something.

haha, well i don't love it all either, especially now. But if you wanna know where you are going it is good to know where you are coming from. Curious about your 10%, what were you listening to in the early 80's?

well, give us something.

Zep

Who

Queen

Beatles!

Floyd

Jeff Beck

Rory Gallagher

Deep Purple

Gary Moore

SRV

BTW, I was also in a few bands who played in the punk scene along with Blondie, Television, Talking Heads, Ramones at CBGB's, MAX's, Gildersleeves, Coventry...in fact Marky Ramone offered me a hit of his model glue in the bathroom at CB's....

Zep

Who

Queen

Beatles!

Floyd

Jeff Beck

Rory Gallagher

Deep Purple

Gary Moore

SRV

BTW, I was also in a few bands who played in the punk scene along with Blondie, Television, Talking Heads, Ramones at CBGB's, MAX's, Gildersleeves, Coventry...in fact Marky Ramone offered me a hit of his model glue in the bathroom at CB's....

Television never got the credit it deserved and I really liked Tom Verlaine's solo stuff. I'd also add a band that never made it big who I loved and that was The Jam

Television never got the credit it deserved and I really liked Tom Verlaine's solo stuff. I'd also add a band that never made it big who I loved and that was The Jam

Even though I played there I wasn't a big fan of punk. Worst musical bands I was ever in, best gigs I ever played. Opened two nights for Ian Hunter at the Ritz one weekend. 3000+ people. Great fun.

Zep

Who

Queen

Beatles!

Floyd

Jeff Beck

Rory Gallagher

Deep Purple

Gary Moore

SRV

Ha, probably his prized vintage model glue, those guys knew how to party. Ya gotta have more stories from those crazy times. Opening for Ian Hunter, nice!

I never really liked most punk since they tried to hard to avoid musical skill and melody. Yet, I fell hard for the Clash, right from their great first album. Got into Blondie (it was HS) and they were fresh. The Talking Heads were a whole different amazing new wavish animal. The funny thing about Television, saw them last year at Wilco's Solid Sound Fest with Kurt Vile. Was surprised my 11 y/o girl loved all 3 bands. Who'd da thunk.

Can't argue with your list. Deep Purple and Gary Moore weren't my thing, but the rest... definitely. I'd substitute the great prog rockers of Yes, Rush and early Genesis instead, since that list leans to bigtime HOF acts. Can't believe I left out Queen and Stevie Ray, they rocked my world. Had just seen SRV w/Joe Cocker about a week before the Copter crash at Alpine Valley. Speaking of amazing white blues Guitarists (besides Duane and Stevie), in college we'd listen to Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanon, Jeff Beck and the Dixie Dregs all at the same sitting, for some odd reason.

Good stuff, do you still see live music? Any current bands you enjoy?

Archived