• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign F Vladislav Namestnikov to 2-Year/$8M Extension; $4M AAV

Phil

I like this deal. I'm ok with Namesnikov. That term and dollar amount is not a problem by any means and I think this guy has some good skill in him. He fits the bill for young and can actually play center. Again, I know this year is going to be the first year of a rebuild which amounts to a lot of growing pains.

No worries....

I just don't wanna see the Rangers start clogging up the roster with experienced dog shit....or just to bring in "experience". If anything, I hope they bring in an enforcer to keep the douche-baggery at a minimum. I don't want teams taking shots at our young guys while their still growing and learning.

Once these kids have matured and have some road miles under them.....THEN we can peel off some of the dogs.

I'm with Ozzy, let's see what's what, before we determine who is a keeper and who isn't. Names may be a lot better player than Ranger fans think. Heard a few national guys on radio yesterday saying Names is a player they really like and has always gotten better. That he shouldn't be judged by 15+ games with a new club in disarray.

It's up to him and the new coach to dispel the notion his game has peaked and he needs star linemates to be very effective.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil, the two year deal won't preclude the rangers from signing him to a new contract in a year or year and a half, if he performs and fits well. Also, if he impresses and we are sellers, he becomes more than a rental. He is a versatile C and plays 200'. The acquiring team knows he'll be willing to reup since he would have been on 3 teams in less than 2 years. We could easily turn Names into a 1st + if he performs.

Late addition: With the new contract, Names is worth more now than he was yesterday. Both net worth and around the NHL.

I'm with Ozzy, let's see what's what, before we determine who is a keeper and who isn't. Names may be a lot better player than Ranger fans think. Heard a few national guys on radio yesterday saying Names is a player they really like and has always gotten better. That he shouldn't be judged by 15+ games with a new club in disarray.

It's up to him and the new coach to dispel the notion his game has peaked and he needs star linemates to be very effective.

You hit the nail on the head Giac...."a new coach" is going to do wonders for this guy....and this new team.

I'm not sure the new coach is going to help offensive players as much as you guys think. This team was defensively a mess, so he will certainly have to fix that, but offense was not really a problem under AV. I think it's really unrealistic to think anyone we have will get all that much better with a new coach.

They were over 3 goals a game for AV's tenure here...That should be enough to win a good amount of games.

I'm not sure the new coach is going to help offensive players as much as you guys think. This team was defensively a mess, so he will certainly have to fix that, but offense was not really a problem under AV. I think it's really unrealistic to think anyone we have will get all that much better with a new coach.

They were over 3 goals a game for AV's tenure here...That should be enough to win a good amount of games.

It will be interesting to see how the offensive numbers play out.

If they cant get an effective defensive structure established early in the season, we'll see a Torts-esque "5 men laying down in the crease" form of defense... as I cant see Quinn accepting the team getting blown out on a regular basis as we saw towards the end of last season.

I think it's going to be a different team environment under Quinn....I know we're gonna suck for a while, and that's no issue with me right now. I want to see Ranger hockey again though. The bullshit we were doing under AV made me wanna hurl my cookies on a nightly basis.

I don't care if this team gets shutout 10 games in a row....as long as they hit, shoot and skate with everything they have, every game....I'm good with it. They'll grow, they'll learn, and somehow that effort has a way of turning into gold.

For guys like Kreider, Zib, and Zucc you're right. But the younger players that were constantly demoted and/or benched, namely Vesey and Buch, I think a new coach will increase their production, as long as they are encouraged to play with confidence and allowed to work through mistakes.

For guys like Kreider, Zib, and Zucc you're right. But the younger players that were constantly demoted and/or benched, namely Vesey and Buch, I think a new coach will increase their production, as long as they are encouraged to play with confidence and allowed to work through mistakes.

This happens under every coach, and will happen under Quinn.

Quinn doesnt want to be embarrassed by his teams on-ice performance and record for his first season, regardless of rebuilding, fans expectations, or conversations with upper management. He's going to try to win games.

This happens under every coach, and will happen under Quinn.

Quinn doesnt want to be embarrassed by his teams on-ice performance and record for his first season, regardless of rebuilding, fans expectations, or conversations with upper management. He's going to try to win games.

Nah, Quinn will allow for mistakes that AV would not. AV was coaching for the moment [ALWAYS] whereas Quinn is not coaching for his life. In fact, he is working with a longer view in mind and knows he will be judged on wins and losses more in future season than this season. That means he is better off help the players improve and get better, thus letting certain mistakes happen w/o losing ice time.

Gorton, Drury and Quinn have honest and open communication and I will expect that to continue throughout the season. They are not bullshitting each other expecting Quinn to eek out any and every victory at the expense of player development. Expect a more Gerard Gallant approach. As long as you are working hard, understand the D structure and trying to make plays, he doesn't want his players to even think about mistakes.

AV moved Buch down the line up when he was playing like shit, and deserved to be moved down the lineup. THAT will continue to happen under any coach.

Again, say what you want about any conversations or whatnot, but Quinn is not going to go through the season accepting losing for this season. No success coach or player has ever done that. It's not in their blood.

And if he does accept losing, well, thats not the type of coach or culture we need.

We can not have these players go through another season of not trying.

AV moved Buch down the line up when he was playing like shit, and deserved to be moved down the lineup. THAT will continue to happen under any coach.

Again, say what you want about any conversations or whatnot, but Quinn is not going to go through the season accepting losing for this season. No success coach or player has ever done that. It's not in their blood.

And if he does accept losing, well, thats not the type of coach or culture we need.

No one said anything about allowing players to be lazy. Its not about accepting losing, its about demanding hard work and improvement. The goal is to have the players buy in and get better every game, win or lose.

It will be interesting to see how the offensive numbers play out.

If they cant get an effective defensive structure established early in the season, we'll see a Torts-esque "5 men laying down in the crease" form of defense... as I cant see Quinn accepting the team getting blown out on a regular basis as we saw towards the end of last season.

Why break out expectations of the new coach's impact into things like offensive production??? Who cares? The players will be given a new structure, a system and an opportunity to improve many aspects of their game.

This offseason brings a new leader and players who can compete for certain roles if they bring their A game, improve, work hard and fit the system. Those who do will see an increase in production and those who don't will eventually figure it out or be shipped out.

For istance: Of course, if Vesey improves and gets regular top 9 minutes on competitive line his scoring will increase. None of the ifs... have anything to do with if Quinn is an offensive guru or not.

Nothing to disagree with here and none of it has to do with Quinn whipping out some Bill Walsh offensive playbook. The players will get better offensively by improving and playing better hockey.

Fitting a system, playing as a unit, working harder, playing faster, understanding team D and doing the right things will all play a big role in that. Quinn will make his impact.

while i always hope for the best I'm not under the illusion that the Rangers just brought the next Lombardi in here. Time will tell what Quinn is and will be. He will fuck up along the way and will see if he learns from his mistakes.

Unless he's a real zero, he will probably get a pretty long leash from Gorts/Drury.

I'll reserve judgement on the Vlad signing. Fresh start. See how he fits in.

I don't think anyone's saying players who aren't putting out or not performin should stay in the lineup.

The hope is that Quinn, as opposed to AV, won't crucify the young players for mistakes young players make.

It's pretty well established that, under AV, a certain set of veterans could be brutal for weeks on end and still stay in the lineup whereas young players were given next to no rope.

I don't think anyone's saying players who aren't putting out or not performin should stay in the lineup.

The hope is that Quinn, as opposed to AV, won't crucify the young players for mistakes young players make.

It's pretty well established that, under AV, a certain set of veterans could be brutal for weeks on end and still stay in the lineup whereas young players were given next to no rope.

Let me preface this by saying AV is an idiot.

That said, this isn't a coaching issue as much as it's an organizational issue. AV's teams were trying to win. Quinn's teams are trying to develop and teach...therefore a completely different mindset.

Not saying that excuses any of AV's decisions, he played the guys he thought gave him the best chance to win (and a lot of the time he was wrong), but Quinn doesn't have any pressure to win on him.

No one said anything about allowing players to be lazy. Its not about accepting losing, its about demanding hard work and improvement. The goal is to have the players buy in and get better every game, win or lose.

That's what any coach would do.

That's what AV did.

That said, this isn't a coaching issue as much as it's an organizational issue. AV's teams were trying to win. Quinn's teams are trying to develop and teach...therefore a completely different mindset.

Not saying that excuses any of AV's decisions, he played the guys he thought gave him the best chance to win (and a lot of the time he was wrong), but Quinn doesn't have any pressure to win on him.

Of course there is pressure. At the NHL level, there is no such thing as no pressure.

Expected to be a contender/playoff bound? Not really.

Pressure to develop kids and start to sort out which ones will be successful and which wont? Absolutely

He's not going to settle for losing, just because the kids are young.

And he's not going to allow sloppy play and mental mistakes because they are "rebuilding".

Of course there is pressure. At the NHL level, there is no such thing as no pressure.

Expected to be a contender/playoff bound? Not really.

Pressure to develop kids and start to sort out which ones will be successful and which wont? Absolutely

He's not going to settle for losing, just because the kids are young.

And he's not going to allow sloppy play and mental mistakes because they are "rebuilding".

Well, that's why I said there is no pressure to win.

He won't be judged (or, shouldn't be), by the W/L column.

Well, that's why I said there is no pressure to win.

He won't be judged (or, shouldn't be), by the W/L column.

Probably not.

I mentioned the wins for his own pride. You dont get to the NHL level with being ok with losing (even during a rebuild)

I agree for the most part, which is why it's perfectly fair to assume young players will get plenty of rope under Quinn.

I don't think you can file all of AV's favoritism under organizational issues though. He clearly had a massive blindspot when it came to young players vs his favorite vets.

Probably not.

I mentioned the wins for his own pride. You dont get to the NHL level with being ok with losing (even during a rebuild)

100%.

He needs to deal with short terms "wins" versus the long game.

Archived