• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Now That They're in a Full Rebuild, How 'Bout That Lucic Contract?

READ, I never said it was a cap hit of 3.5 mil. I said it?s an actual salary. WE WON?T HIT the cap with the team we have and there?s no good free agents out there worth paying. If we need to trade him later there are plenty of teams who don?t spend their cap, that would absorb his cap hit, and be able to pay his actual.

Big difference between actual salary and cap hit salary.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Great. Why does that matter AT ALL for a team like the Rangers? It's irrelevant. He could be making $11 or $11 million in actual salary. They can afford all of it without an issue.

The fact remains that taking on $6 million in cap charges for the next FIVE years will come back to bite them in the ass for a player who is already bad and will get significantly worse with each passing day.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point being we can flip that contract later. What we?re looking at is a way of getting Puljujarvi and maybe a 1st or a prospect at a a discount because we are willing to take on Lucic.

The fact that you wouldn?t make the deal is your opinion.

My opinion is that it can be done and I?m explaining why. To me Puljujarvi would be a great have for us. 6?4?, 20 yr old,, righthanded, very fast skater who?s willing to play physical and is a good defensive player.

1st off it?s Lucic, Puljujarvi and a 1st or a prospect not just Lucic. And again the fact that his actual salary decreases to 4,5,4 mil in the last 3yrs. makes him easier to move. Besides you keep looking at his 34 Pt season but he had 50 & 55 the 2 yrs prior to that. He?s a nasty player and a physical player that plants himself in front of the net. And he?s willing to fight. Do we have anyone willing to do any of that?no thanks to AV. Edmonton is playing that style and it doesn?t work. Did you watch how Washington played, that?s the way we should be playing.

Lucic had 254 hits last yr. our leading hitter was Fast with 130.

1. What he did at 27 or 28 is more than likely a ceiling for his career, rather than a bar to meet given he's now on the wrong side of 30.

2. Even if his salary decreases over the life of the deal, you still have to find a willing partner to take on what stands to be a rapidly declining player at the age of say 33, or 34, who still has multiple years left on his contract. This is generally only done in exchange for other bad contracts, not assets.

3. He's a nasty, physical player who is willing to fight in a league in which the number of willing participants is dropping by the day. I love that kind of hockey, too, but I also can't ignore the reality that in today's NHL, you simply have to be able to play (well) to justify your roster spot, let alone your AAV.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Look at how much Joel Ward just made, 37 yrs old 15 pts and made 3.275 mil. How much did Leo Komarov, Matt Read, Matt Sajan make and look at their productivity. Scott Hartnell just made 4.75 mil for 24 pts. Everyone contracts continue to go up whether you?re a star or not.

Look at how much Joel Ward just made, 37 yrs old 15 pts and made 3.275 mil. How much did Leo Komarov, Matt Read, Matt Sajan make and look at their productivity. Scott Hartnell just made 4.75 mil for 24 pts. Everyone contracts continue to go up whether you’re a star or not.

No, not every contract goes through this. Just the long-term ones signed to take near-30-year-old players well into their twilights. There's also a world of difference between sucking up paying 37-year-old Joel Ward to sit in your press box and paying 30+ year old Lucic, with multiple years left, to do the same down the line. At least with Ward or Read or Hartnell, there was a light at the end of the tunnel. The teams didn't fall completely down the well.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t value Lucic that much. Tho’ I do like the physical style that Washington, Nashville play. For me the value is in Puljujarvi. And if I need to take Lucic to get him then I’m willing to do it.

I just don't feel the same. Not about Puljujarvi, and especially not about Lucic.

Look at how much Joel Ward just made, 37 yrs old 15 pts and made 3.275 mil. How much did Leo Komarov, Matt Read, Matt Sajan make and look at their productivity. Scott Hartnell just made 4.75 mil for 24 pts. Everyone contracts continue to go up whether you’re a star or not.

Hartnell made $4.75M starting in 13/14 after a 52 point season. He was eventually bought out and signed a 1 year, $1M deal.

Joel Ward signed in 15/16 for 3 years, $3.275M per after a 34 point season where he potted 18 goals and, more importantly, had 9 points in 14 playoff games.

Karamov - 4 year deal signed ~$3M per in 14/15 after putting up 34 points in 54 games in the KHL.

Read - $3.6M per in 14/15 after putting up 40 points including 22 goals in 75 games.

Matt Stajan - 4 year, $3.1M deal in 14/15 after putting up 33 points in 66 games.

A lot of these guys fell off considerably, as players do as they age. The difference is, Lucic still has 5 years remaining on his deal and makes $6M per in cap hit. Acquiring that contract without some insane level of compensation, significant retained cap space, or both would be a poor decision for a rebuilding franchise.

I can see that, Puljujarvi has done anything yet but at 6?4? is righthanded and only 20 yrs of age. Having played in the Finnish league at 16 yrs of age( he was born in Sweden to Finnish parents). He has all the potential, speed, size, and can be physical. Scouting reports say he?s a playmaker.

AmericanJesus, now post Lucics stats including the playoffs.

You guys love to throw out half the info or give half the story and swear you?re right about everything. As I said before just say it?s your opinion or how you feel in your gut. Because one year is not enough to say he?s done.

BTW, Lucic has 24 goals-46 assists and 70pts in 114 playoff games. You know the time of the year when everyone plays physical and games get nasty. Also the year he got his big contract he has 55 pts in 81 gms. And not to mention that he?s a nasty physical freak and we have young guys that will be run at, that will need someone to step up for them.

You can't discount the mileage on Lucic. He's been around a long time. I also think that pointing to his past years and using it as a gauge for the next 5 years is more than likely going to be very inaccurate. Could he bounce back? Possibly. Odds are though, last year is much more indicative of where his production is headed.

AmericanJesus, now post Lucics stats including the playoffs.

You guys love to throw out half the info or give half the story and swear you?re right about everything. As I said before just say it?s your opinion or how you feel in your gut. Because one year is not enough to say he?s done.

BTW, Lucic has 24 goals-46 assists and 70pts in 114 playoff games. You know the time of the year when everyone plays physical and games get nasty. Also the year he got his big contract he has 55 pts in 81 gms. And not to mention that he?s a nasty physical freak and we have young guys that will be run at, that will need someone to step up for them.

How's this help when we're probably 2-3 years from seriously being a playoff team?

Post says rangers unlikely to take on garbage contracts. Post also says they'll take a garbage contract from a team needing to clear space for Tavares...

Lol. “Rangers won’t take other teams garbage.”

Next sentence “Rangers should get Callahan and make him captain.”

Could be interesting, But like I said earlier July 01, he gets a 3.5 mil signing bonus. If it?s us we need to make the deal before July 01 so we can get a better return?3.5 mil is a lot of money to swallow. Tho? I haven?t heard we?re on his Movement clause list, Gorton did draft him if I?m not mistaken.

I think the most interesting thing about this is who comes with him, regardless of where he goes?will it be Puljuj?rvi, Yamamoto, a 1st Rd pick

Archived