• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Without Revealing Your Age...

Phil

so... 2 spaces after a period is something old people do? I didn't know. always been a double spacer

And it's a dying breed too, I used to do it and have dialed it back to just one space after a period.

One grammatical thing that I've been seeing the past few years is a space before punctuation. It drives me fucking nuts.

This is what I'm talking about btw .

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
;950169]And it's a dying breed too, I used to do it and have dialed it back to just one space after a period.

One grammatical thing that I've been seeing the past few years is a space before punctuation. It drives me fucking nuts.

This is what I'm talking about btw .

Those are typos dude.

so... 2 spaces after a period is something old people do? I didn't know. always been a double spacer

Yes. That "rule" was created because monospaced font on old typewriters made it difficult to see where the actual sentence break was. Computers have made the double-space after a period irrelevant.

So they actually teach kids in English/grammar/ELA classes to only use one space after periods now? I doubt that.

Idk what the kids are doing these days, but they taught me two spaces.

Assuming that kids aren't typing in fucking Inconsolata, it should be single space. There are very few occasions where any monospacing would be used.

Idk what the kids are doing these days, but they taught me two spaces.

Assuming that kids aren't typing in fucking Inconsolata, it should be single space. There are very few occasions where any monospacing would be used.

Whether you think it looks childish or not, I am pretty sure American English grammar is two spaces after a period. I'll have my wife ask her coworkers who teach English/ELA/grammar/typing just to be sure. If its not the way its taught anymore, well, I'll continue to keep doing two because that is what I was taught and its second nature. Although, I did notice long ago that whenever you do the "double space makes a period" shortcut on an iphone it only produced one space after the period. I've always wondered why that was the case, so, maybe you're right?

Whether you think it looks childish or not, I am pretty sure American English grammar is two spaces after a period. I'll have my wife ask her coworkers who teach English/ELA/grammar/typing just to be sure. If its not the way its taught anymore, well, I'll continue to keep doing two because that is what I was taught and its second nature. Although, I did notice long ago that whenever you do the "double space makes a period" shortcut on an iphone it only produced one space after the period. I've always wondered why that was the case, so, maybe you're right?

Two spaces is not a grammar issue, it's literally because of monospaced text and printing. I've taught writing too, you don't need to ask them lol. AP Style, Chicago and MLA all recommend one space. I think APA still uses two spaces, but APA is really only used in academia.

Ultimately, it's a style choice more than anything, but the two-space rule is absolutely outdated.

I'm pretty sure how spacing is taught now is entirely at the discretion of who's teaching it. I had a conversation on it a couple of days ago with a few of my buddies. Two of us grew up learning about double spacing after a period while two of us didn't. We're all in college. I'd say double spacing is far from standard.

Archived