• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Should the Rangers Pursue Ryan O?Reilly?

Phil

Yea I figured. When I saw the charts I was like wut...

Yeah, I have no idea what went wrong there. Owen's bath time here in a minute and K is out with friends tonight, so I'll try to remember to do this tonight after he's asleep.

Not that I'm expecting this to go over well, but analytics say otherwise. His relative possession metrics are insane. Compared to Hayes, specifically, he absolutely dwarfs him:

ROR-Hayes-Dashboard2.png?raw=1

Whats the top section???

Not much contribution here by me, but I’m gonna say no. Mostly because he’s a vagina on steel.

Vaginas are the toughest organs on the planet. They literally push out bowling ball-sized humans and return to form and function :D

But seriously, on this point, I'll say this: when Quinn was asked by Steve Serby of the Post recently what his definition of toughness is, his response was appropriate for today's game, and specifically ROR.

"Someone who can take a hit to make a play."

He'll never be mistaken for Lucic or Lindros, but his style of play would fit that expectation like a glove.

First guy brought up to me that at least makes sense. I don’t love it but I can see the reason behind it. If it was Hayes and day for him I’m doing that all day long even a second or a third too. The guy is a massive upgrade on Hayes and is still extremely young. Buffalo retaining some money makes it a wash on what Hayes will be signing this summer.

To me this has to be up to Quinn. If he views ror as the example he wants in the room as the bar to how to play then it should be up to him. All other opinions should come second. Let Quinn assemble his leadership group. That group is going to have as big an impact as any in this rebuild. Drafting is vital but it does no good if you can’t develop. If ror being on the roster helps in development of culture and performance than go for it. That said his career doesn’t speak to that. However he’s still extremely young so his career is far from defined.

That's fine. You disagree. That's the point of the forum. It's why I made the thread. I didn't assume everyone would just agree.

I clearly think higher of him than you. I'm OK with us not seeing eye-to-eye on that. But I'm definitely not going to let you slide by calling him mediocre or complimentary when he's sharing connective tissue with other first-line centers, and has produced as one himself despite playing for awful clubs.

What connective tissue? What other teams have 60pt first line centers that are any good? You can break stats down ten ways to Sunday to prove any point but his track record proves he is what he is.

I like ROR. And I think he’s a lot better than most in here seem to think. He certainly improves this roster a great deal.

I don’t mind dealing Hayes for him, but I’m a little bit worried about dealing the pick as there’s possibilities for a really good player there. And I like the little I’ve seen of Day.

But that’s the thing, adding good players to a rebuild roster is going to hurt a bit.

I’d consider it.

What connective tissue? What other teams have 60pt first line centers that are any good?...

Nashville. Boston. Chicago (minus this season when they finally hit a wall). San Jose.

I can name some teams with stud centers that aren't that good, tho. Edmonton...Colorado...Buffalo.

What connective tissue? What other teams have 60pt first line centers that are any good? You can break stats down ten ways to Sunday to prove any point but his track record proves he is what he is.

1. Yes. Like, you know, THE RANGERS!? Stepan, a 60-point center, helped this team to tremendous levels of success for YEARS. Was he the reason they failed to win it all? But if you're looking for more examples, there's Pavelski, Getzlaf, Bergeron, and Johansen in the neighborhood too. All their teams suck, too?

2. Yes, it proves he's a highly-productive player in spite of the circumstances. I'll take that on my team every single time.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

1. Yes. Like, you know, THE RANGERS!? Stepan, a 60-point center, helped this team to tremendous levels of success for YEARS. Was he the reason they failed to win it all? But if you're looking for more examples, there's Pavelski, Getzlaf, Bergeron, and Johansen in the neighborhood too. All their teams suck, too?

2. Yes, it proves he's a highly-productive player in spite of the circumstances. I'll take that on my team every single time.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Remember when everyone bitched and complained about Stepan? When they were happy that he got traded because we needed to get younger, faster, and more skilled? I do.

I don’t want another Stepan and certainly not one who’s getting paid more money.

I like ROR and I like his game. I definitely have concerns about the contract but for the proposed trade cost I'd do this. He is definitely an upgrade over Hayes, Day is expendable because who knows if his game even will translate to the NHL, and one of our three 1sts is ok.

I like ROR and I like his game. I definitely have concerns about the contract but for the proposed trade cost I'd do this. He is definitely an upgrade over Hayes, Day is expendable because who knows if his game even will translate to the NHL, and one of our three 1sts is ok.

Just because he is an upgrade, doesn't make this a sound deal. Giving up that asset package will need to yield a much better return. Most that I would do is Hayes straight up for O'Reilly(which Buffalo would never do unless they really wanted to get out from under that awful contract).

I don?t think Hayes goes anywhere as he?s one of the guys Quinn actually knows. If someone is going it will probably be Namestnikov. But I also can?t see us moving a 20 yr old 6?3? 220lb. smooth skating d-man that was compared to Jason Bouwmeester when he was drafted. There?s 2 things you can?t teach and that?s size & speed. The 26th pick sure?picks outside the top 10 are pretty much hit or miss.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived