• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

If the Idea is a Full Rebuild/Youth Movement...

Not sure where you are getting 10 million. ~7.3 million according to Capfriendly.

They won't fit Zucker and Dumba both with 7.3 million.

That's based on last season's cap. It's projected to go up to ~$80m, so they'd have ~$12.5m in cap space.

They're also both RFAs, it's not like Minny needs to give them massive UFA deals. A qualifying offer under $3m and then arbitration for a 2- or 3-year bridge deal would keep them well under the cap I'd think.

I don't understand the dislike of Hayes. He has improved his areas of weakness and was one of very few players who met or exceeded expectations last year. Flawed? Perhaps. But he's the least of our problems.

I don't understand the dislike of Hayes. He has improved his areas of weakness and was one of very few players who met or exceeded expectations last year. Flawed? Perhaps. But he's the least of our problems.

Some people dislike him because reasons.

But I think the majority of people who want to move Hayes think that way because he'd bring in a big return. He's a 26-year-old center who just scored 25 goals on a trash team, there'd be a good market for that.

My issue with Hayes is how much they are going to have to pay him. Me personally, I don't see him being worth $5M a season, I would rather have paid Miller that much. This is his last year as an RFA, so its sign him to a 1 year deal or give him a bigger deal and pay more. We don't know how Andersson or Chytil will play and could pass him over for the second line center spot. That is why I would want him moved.

There's a theory out there that offer sheets are going to become more important in creating a team and poaching young very talented players away while still young.

Anyone out there that NYR might target? is it worth the price? Too early in the rebuild to think about it? Good timing with the draft?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/mirtle-nhl-grapples-with-death-of-the-bridge-contract-as-young-stars-get-paid/article25311560/

Ten years into a salary cap world, GMs unhappy with the quality of UFAs available have finally begun to view offer sheets as a useful tool to pry players away from their teams.

And it's working.

It happened three times last week alone: Dougie Hamilton went to Calgary (after the Oilers made noise about an offer sheet), Ryan O'Reilly went to Buffalo (after negotiations with Colorado went nowhere), and Brandon Saad went to Columbus (after his requests were way too high for cap-strapped Chicago and multiple teams planned to pounce).

All three players are between 22 and 24 years of age; O'Reilly is the only one with more than 208 NHL games played.

Bad optics. My opinion is that he's an entitled prick with a bad attitude. Out of shape. Takes selfish penalties. Has poor to no hockey IQ. Takes shifts off or games off or months off. Doesn't hustle when it doesn't suit him. He's a Boston frat bro. Frankly, I think the situation with him Skjei and Vesey living together was a nightmare last season and if I were the Rangers I'd be sure to break that up. Skjei is arguably our most important piece moving forward. Not the other two buffoons.

There's a theory out there that offer sheets are going to become more important in creating a team and poaching young very talented players away while still young.

Anyone out there that NYR might target? is it worth the price? Too early in the rebuild to think about it? Good timing with the draft?

I hope offer sheets become a thing. Free Agency has been a snooze for the last 5 years or so.

He's a Boston frat bro.

I remember the Rangers used to have this Boston frat bro and I would frequently see him his frat bro posse drinking at Upper East Side hot spots. Leetch, I believe, was his name.

I remember the Rangers used to have this Boston frat bro and I would frequently see him his frat bro posse drinking at Upper East Side hot spots. Leetch, I believe, was his name.

Let me know when Hayes wins the calder or puts up 70+ points or wins the Con Smythe or has his number retired. If he does any of those things, I'll give him a pass. Until then, no chance.

Hmmmm, talk about a stretch. Apples to orange no pun intended.

Archived