• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2017-2018 WCF | Vegas Golden Knights (P1) v. Winnipeg Jets (C2)

Phil

Who wins?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Jets in 4
    • Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7

....and/or miss the playoffs in multiple years

THIS!!! Let them win this year and then NOT for the next 20. Welcome to the real suffering world. The local Dux and Angels fans have been much more miserable since they each have won only one championship in their history. As I said, welcome to the real world.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To me, it’s the game of hockey first, then the Rangers. If Vegas wins, it’s fuckin embarrassing. It’s actually embarrassing already. Winning the Cup would make it worse.

Vegas winning is good for hockey. It helps build a fanbase from the get-go rather than becoming the Thrashers and fading away with only one playoff sweep to show for yourself. What's embarrassing is the Panthers, Coyotes, and Hurricanes. Teams that have been around for a long ass time and can't get 5000 people in to watch their toilet bowl product.

Fans are what's good about the game. Doesn't matter if it's a 100 year old franchise or a 1 year old franchise. What's the difference? They sell out. People are talking about it. Vegas is fucking hockey crazy and it's putting the NHL playoffs on mainstream radio and tv talk shows for the first time in a long time.

Your opinion sounds a lot like sour grapes to me. I don't get the "this is embarrassing" crowd at all.

And it's bad for hockey in Vegas. They need at least a few years of misses to build some fan loyalty and get the payoff if/when they get the Stanley Cup.

If they win the Cup this year, how many of these fans are going to be hanging around in subsequent years when they keep getting bounced from the playoffs?

When a team sucks, the fans don't come out. It's true for every franchise aside from maybe the Rangers, Canadians and maybe Toronto. Hawks had so few people going to games their games weren't even televised. So get the revenue and the hype while it's hot because, as we know, it may not come back around.

It's better to have this than 16 years and 0 playoff series victories. Or be the coyotes who are all but dead down south. Beggars can't be choosy. Strike while the iron is hot. Get kids into the game NOW. They will be the fans who buy tickets in 10 years.

Vegas winning is good for hockey. It helps build a fanbase from the get-go rather than becoming the Thrashers and fading away with only one playoff sweep to show for yourself. What's embarrassing is the Panthers, Coyotes, and Hurricanes. Teams that have been around for a long ass time and can't get 5000 people in to watch their toilet bowl product.

Fans are what's good about the game. Doesn't matter if it's a 100 year old franchise or a 1 year old franchise. What's the difference? They sell out. People are talking about it. Vegas is fucking hockey crazy and it's putting the NHL playoffs on mainstream radio and tv talk shows for the first time in a long time.

Your opinion sounds a lot like sour grapes to me. I don't get the "this is embarrassing" crowd at all.

The other orgs are embarrassing in their own way. The NHL isn’t gaining fans from this shit. They gain interest in the playoffs, then they all disappear. What makes the game popular and it’s continous fan population growth is that more and more kids are playing every year. So over time, as they get older, the fan base will widen from those around the game. It used to be the majority of kids playing had a dad or uncle that played, it’s not like that anymore.

The other orgs are embarrassing in their own way. The NHL isn’t gaining fans from this shit. They gain interest in the playoffs, then they all disappear. What makes the game popular and it’s continous fan population growth is that more and more kids are playing every year. So over time, as they get older, the fan base will widen from those around the game. It used to be the majority of kids playing had a dad or uncle that played, it’s not like that anymore.

Wanna know how I got involved in hockey? Rangers cup run in 94. All of my friends, same thing. I guarantee there are a lot of 10-6 year old kids getting into hockey this summer in Vegas because of the success of this team. Hopefully in 20 years they're debating the new team in Kanas City on a message board with other VGK fans and getting amped up for their mens league game.

To me, it?s the game of hockey first, then the Rangers. If Vegas wins, it?s fuckin embarrassing. It?s actually embarrassing already. Winning the Cup would make it worse.
The first sentence is negated by everything that followed it.

Complete luck. Karlsson, Marchessault, Perron, Reilly Smith, and Haula all had career years.
When 6 players have career years and one has a revival after a dead career, and they played 5 goalies, that's not luck.

Gallant is easily the coach of the year. Hardest working team in the NHL.

That said...easy to rally cast-offs..."No one wanted you...hockey in the desert...", Etc.

Wanna know how I got involved in hockey? Rangers cup run in 94. All of my friends, same thing. I guarantee there are a lot of 10-6 year old kids getting into hockey this summer in Vegas because of the success of this team. Hopefully in 20 years they're debating the new team in Kanas City on a message board with other VGK fans and getting amped up for their mens league game.

you know why 94 was so special? the previous 53 years coming up short. you can’t fully appreciate a cup without at least a few years of pain first

Fair enough.

They don’t have to win it all to get more fans, the story is there already, so fuck them.

you know why 94 was so special? the previous 53 years coming up short. you can?t fully appreciate a cup without at least a few years of pain first

Not true. I was 6 when that happened. Never watched a hockey game in my life. I've only become a bigger fan since then.

Complaining that a fan base doesn't have enough suffering and therefore winning is bad for hockey just doesn't make sense at all. If Vegas finished last this year like they were supposed to by all accounts, they've have fewer fans next season and people would already be calling the experiment a "mistake."

Not true. I was 6 when that happened. Never watched a hockey game in my life. I've only become a bigger fan since then.

Complaining that a fan base doesn't have enough suffering and therefore winning is bad for hockey just doesn't make sense at all. If Vegas finished last this year like they were supposed to by all accounts, they've have fewer fans next season and people would already be calling the experiment a "mistake."

The location has nothing to do with it. It would still be the same squad doing the same things, with the same coach. If they were in Seattle or KC, I still wouldn’t want them to win.

Vegas winning is a great story for the NHL. New team of cast offs in a non traditional market.

A group of daffies winning the cup in the best league is embarrassing. That’s like our summer team that you made me play on a few years ago winning the chip in D1.

A group of daffies winning the cup in the best league is embarrassing. That?s like our summer team that you made me play on a few years ago winning the chip in D1.
Yea except the Knights are a really good team and we were not.

Archived