• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What's Your Hottest Rangers Take?

Phil

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marty St. Louis was a monumental bust. We grossly overpaid for a player who immediately stopped scoring on arrival. He had good series against Pitts and Montreal, but his opening series and the finals were forgettable. Many times I wished we had Callahan instead in the finals against a physical LA team. He was mainly notable for something totally fortuitous and off the ice (his mother's sudden death). Perhaps we wouldn't have been down 3-1 in the Pitts series to begin with Cally. Marty was not only bad in the 2015 playoffs, but he made whatever line he was on bad. Some will claim he got us in the finals in 2014, but he more clearly kept us out of the finals in 2015 than got us in them in 2014.

Marty St. Louis was a monumental bust. We grossly overpaid for a player who immediately stopped scoring on arrival. He had good series against Pitts and Montreal, but his opening series and the finals were forgettable. Many times I wished we had Callahan instead in the finals against a physical LA team. He was mainly notable for something totally fortuitous and off the ice (his mother's sudden death). Perhaps we wouldn't have been down 3-1 in the Pitts series to begin with Cally. Marty was not only bad in the 2015 playoffs, but he made whatever line he was on bad. Some will claim he got us in the finals in 2014, but he more clearly kept us out of the finals in 2015 than got us in them in 2014.

This is going to sound rude and insensitive but without St. Louis' mother's death, the Rangers would never have gone as far as they did. Every team needs a galvanizing event in their season. That was the Rangers. MSL scored some big fucking goals for them in that playoff too.

This is going to sound rude and insensitive but without St. Louis' mother's death, the Rangers would never have gone as far as they did. Every team needs a galvanizing event in their season. That was the Rangers. MSL scored some big fucking goals for them in that playoff too.
Did he? I remember one going in off his leg in Pittsburgh. And that's about it.

He was a total bust and the the epitome of being held up by Stamkos.

I saw St. Louis the morning after they lost in the finals, he looked absolutely beaten down. Was definitely trying his best to interact with people, and wore a smile on his face. That had to be the roughest playoff he was a part of. His mother’s passing, while sudden and tragic, definitely catapulted the team that year.

No one has disputed my comment that MSL dragged down every line he was on in the 2015 playoffs and may very well have kept us out of the finals that year. Duly noted.

Because it’s silly to blame 1 player for keeping an entire team from making the Stanley Cup Final. I’m not defending his play that year, but there’s 19 other guys out there.

Right. Forgot this one...so 1 legit and one off his leg...

I remembered him scoring a few more times than that, so I looked up him numbers that post season:

8-7-15 ... Not too shabby. I also don?t remember exactly when the other goals or points came, but it being the playoffs and knowing the lack of scoring in those games (especially when the Rangers are involved), there were probably some other important ones in there.

Esa Tikkanen as the second color commentator in the booth. only guy i love listening speak english more is Ozzy.

:rofl:

I wouldn't make it through 1 game without ripping the team to shreds with filthy one-liners and old 80's/90's references!!!! Not to mention my extensive vocabulary of expletives!!!

I'd kill AV up in the booth! Half the reason I don't go to games anymore is because there's a secret order of protection that I can't get withing 5 miles of AV, for fear I may shoot him in the face with a bazooka! LOL

Jesus, I hate that bastard!

I remembered him scoring a few more times than that, so I looked up him numbers that post season:

8-7-15 ... Not too shabby. I also don’t remember exactly when the other goals or points came, but it being the playoffs and knowing the lack of scoring in those games (especially when the Rangers are involved), there were probably some other important ones in there.

Every goal scored in the playoffs is important. To say he was useless is wrong. He wasn't MSL of 2002 or whatever but I don't think anyone expected that. He was a leader on a team that went to the finals for the first time in 20 years. I'd say his role was pretty damn important.

Because it’s silly to blame 1 player for keeping an entire team from making the Stanley Cup Final. I’m not defending his play that year, but there’s 19 other guys out there.

Yet people seem to want to attribute making the finals the previous year to him. I can blame one player for being so bad that he takes down his two line mates with him, and I can blame one line for potentially being dispositive in a close seven game series.

8-7-15 ... Not too shabby. I also don’t remember exactly when the other goals or points came, but it being the playoffs and knowing the lack of scoring in those games (especially when the Rangers are involved), there were probably some other important ones in there.

Those numbers seem to prove he wasn't nearly as bad as some are making him out to be. 2002 no, not even close but certainly far from the biggest issue in not winning that cup. Regardless of the numbers I'm sure he was looked upon as the leader in that locker room.

Yet people seem to want to attribute making the finals the previous year to him. I can blame one player for being so bad that he takes down his two line mates with him, and I can blame one line for potentially being dispositive in a close seven game series.

They weren’t attributing anything to him. It was about how the team rallied around him because of his mother passing away. Had nothing to do with him carrying a team. But yes, 1 guy can put a team on his back to victory in a game or series, not as much the other way around although Nash took the heat that year in the post season.

The Rangers are done "rebuilding" and are now "building", despite what many people on this (and other) board(s) may believe.

This sounds like a minor difference, but I'd deem rebuilding as selling produce to buy seeds. Whereas I see building as trading seeds for better seeds.

The Rangers are done "rebuilding" and are now "building", despite what many people on this (and other) board(s) may believe.

This sounds like a minor difference, but I'd deem rebuilding as selling produce to buy seeds. Whereas I see building as trading seeds for better seeds.

a little like splitting hairs no? If you're seeds aren't all that great they're not bringing back much in return nor are they guaranteed to turn into quality players at this level. What we have most of is a ton of wishful thinking, hoping guys progress, hoping we get lucky with our picks etc. I think the days of taking marginal seeds and ripping off another team are few and far between. Our seeds on defense require a ton of more manure thrown on them before they grow into something less than not nearly good enough. I also think we're praying the two kids can contribute at this level going into next year. I think that too is certainly not a given.

Alain Vigneault says Rangers would have made playoffs, but decision was made to rebuild for future

The Rangers coach said he believes the Blueshirts would have qualified for the postseason, but respects the organization’s decision.

image.jpeg

WASHINGTON — When the Devils beat the Carolina Hurricanes Tuesday night, they officially eliminated the Rangers from playoff contention, ending the Blueshirts’ run of seven straight seasons in the playoffs and 11 playoff appearances in 12 years.

Rangers coach Alain Vigneault believes, however, that the team would have made the playoffs this spring if upper management had not made the decision last month to give up on this season, sell off some pieces at the trade deadline, and focus instead on rebuilding the roster for the future.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/alain-vigneault-rangers-playoffs-1.17728162

a little like splitting hairs no? If you're seeds aren't all that great they're not bringing back much in return nor are they guaranteed to turn into quality players at this level. What we have most of is a ton of wishful thinking, hoping guys progress, hoping we get lucky with our picks etc. I think the days of taking marginal seeds and ripping off another team are few and far between. Our seeds on defense require a ton of more manure thrown on them before they grow into something less than not nearly good enough. I also think we're praying the two kids can contribute at this level going into next year. I think that too is certainly not a given.

I don't think it's splitting hairs.

My point isn't what is best for the team or what should be done. My point is that we're no longer selling produce for seeds. The most likely thing to happen is for us to trade seeds for unripe produce or other seeds.

I think that's an important distinction.

I also thing my analogy, though illustrative, is becoming a bit ridiculous.

Archived