• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Nathan MacKinnon This Year's MVP?

Kevin

He's still maturing physically, which makes a big difference, who knows if that's why his SH% is way up.

But I think the biggest difference is that they've just left that top line alone. He's no longer got Grigorenko, Andrighetto, Comeau, Iginla, or Borque on the ice with him. He's always been productive with good players, but the upside to Duchene leaving is that they no longer have to try to spread the wealth, so to speak.

I heard someone opine that with Duchene gone, this became his team and he was ready to step up. I like your angle on that idea, that the Avs are stacking their 1st line now and he's probably seeing the top pair dmen on the ice more too. I also think he has refined his stick skills and he maintains position/balance near the net and is able to make plays with the puck. He's a beast.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is not making the point that Wheeler isn't the team's MVP.
And you saying so doesn't make Wheeler the MVP of his team.

Laine is the difference maker there. (See, I can say things I don't have to prove, too.)

"Directly set up", so it counts for goals and primary assists?

But as expected, McDavid and MacKinnon in a league of their own. Factoring in that Oilers won't make the playoffs, it should go to MacKinnon.

Was the MVP ever given to someone on a non-playoff team?

http://http://mobile.twitter.com/dimfilipovic/status/976897806425251840

I can’t get the fuckin link to work, but it basically shows McKinnon should win and Wheeler isn’t even on the list.

Eh, no it doesn't. It shows that Ovechkin should be, to me. If Colorado finishes better than the wild card, I might change my mind. But a guy playing on a much worse team getting another assist on 1 in every 20 goals doesn't move the needle. And this stat kind of punishes players who play on deep teams and rewards single-line teams.

I mean, I kind of doubt you're going to sit here and say that O'Reilly deserves it over John Tavares and Eric Staal.

"Directly set up", so it counts for goals and primary assists?

But as expected, McDavid and MacKinnon in a league of their own. Factoring in that Oilers won't make the playoffs, it should go to MacKinnon.

This is the exact argument I'm making with Wheeler lol.

The only difference is the degree to where team success matters. You're using the playoffs as the cutoff, and I'm using, basically, playoff seeding as the cutoff.

Eh, no it doesn't. It shows that Ovechkin should be, to me. If Colorado finishes better than the wild card, I might change my mind. But a guy playing on a much worse team getting another assist on 1 in every 20 goals doesn't move the needle.

I mean, I kind of doubt you're going to sit here and say that O'Reilly deserves it over John Tavares and Eric Staal.

ofcourse not, because they suck. If you remove O'reilly it wouldnt make a difference for Buffalo. Partly the same goes for Wheeler, they would be some places lower, but still a good playoff team.

Take MacKinnon out of COL and they will be a bottom 10 team. He is THAT important(valuable) for them.

You could argue for Giroux aswell.

Eh, no it doesn't. It shows that Ovechkin should be, to me. If Colorado finishes better than the wild card, I might change my mind. But a guy playing on a much worse team getting another assist on 1 in every 20 goals doesn't move the needle. And this stat kind of punishes players who play on deep teams and rewards single-line teams.

This is the exact argument I'm making with Wheeler lol.

The only difference is the degree to where team success matters. You're using the playoffs as the cutoff, and I'm using, basically, playoff seeding as the cutoff.

Washington has 3 more wins (only 1 more win in regulation/OT) than Colorado.

If you take MacKinnon off Colorado they are a lottery team. If you take Wheeler off Winnipeg, Scheifele, Liane, and Ehlers still get them to the playoffs.

Washington has 3 more wins (only 1 more win in regulation/OT) than Colorado.

If you take MacKinnon off Colorado they are a lottery team. If you take Wheeler off Winnipeg, Scheifele, Liane, and Ehlers still get them to the playoffs.

Exactly. Ovechkin has a supporting cast. Wheeler does, too. MacKinnon? Not as much.

• 2 weeks later...
If Colorado misses the playoffs (currently tied for the last spot) does Taylor Hall end up getting the MVP nod? If Colorado misses, it kind of opens things up a bit.

No

1. He’s too fuckin ugly

2. He’s a scumbag Devil

3. No

Archived