• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Kreider for Oilers Klefbom Serves Both Teams

Phil

Kreids is a monumental piece to this Rangers club, thing is players like Kreids don't grow on trees. Ask Zbad if he wants Kreids to go. Answer would be no. Rangers already have a tough time putting the puck in the net and were especially horrific when Kreids went down. Would want no part of Lucic at this point, to make any deal happen. Personally, I drool over the thought of getting Puljujarvi......young talented and probably needs OUT of Edmonton.

I'm not that crazy about K!efbom, so it would have to be Puli & Klef for Kreids and maybe a Gilmour.......but jeez, that's a toughie. Really would prefer keeping Kreids and making him the leader of the "new gang".

If you asked anyone if they wanted McD to go the answer would be no. That's not a real barometer for anything.

Krieder can get you alot in trade and I don't think I want to pay the contract he'll get. I don't think he's going to be an effective piece by the time we're ready to compete. He's not young anymore.

I dont' see this as good enough return for a player who does his job in such a fashion as to make him quote desirable to other teams.

Kreider = scoring we don't have enough of 0.58 ppg vs Klefbom 0.3 ppg

Kreider = netfront presence that others are too skeered to do in a meaningful way

kreider = many invisible assists from netfront activity = his productivity is more than mere point totals show he might be a 53 point player on paper but he's more of a 60 point player when those netfront screens are concerned.

kreider = speed still

kreider = veteran leadership on a team of kids; a lineup of so many kids needs some older players to show the way

kreider = a measure of toughness on a team which - excluding Zuccarello and Staal -- is mostly softies and wet wipes

Regarding Pete's Point about McD -- liked him a lot, but he had more miles on the odometer than his years showed too risky to resign longterm after to many concussions and shoulder separations.

If the right return is available for Kreider, yes, everyone has a price, but it would have to be a cont-miss youngster, and Klefbom does not look at all like that. More like a liability.

Klefbom = hasn't proven anything yet except Edmonton wants to get rid of him

“Is he ever healthy? Give me a time when he’s healthy. We’re well into a career here and the guy is hurt every single year. It’s not going to get easier to play. It’s going to get harder. He’s not going to get younger.”

I could be wrong but Klefbom is a risk I absolutely would not take. See below.

Spector of Oilers Now on Klefbom:

"If the right trade offer came, I’d absolutely move him…. His track record is he’s hurt too much. I’d move him.”

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/rumour-has-it-oscar-klefbom-is-being-shopped-is-that-a-good-plan

Seems a tad major mistake-prone, too.

This NY team already has that major mistake capability dialed in.

http://wpmedia.edmontonjournal.com/2018/03/gra-201718-66g.png

I don't like Klefbom. I think there are many better D-men available for a player like Kreids, especially if we throw in something extra.

Kreids, Devils' 2nd for Trouba?

Would give us a good top pair with Skjei and Trouba we could work from, but not even that deal makes me overly happy. We make a huge gap in our top 6 (wingers) if we trade Kreider. I think he is more important to this team then a lot of people give him credit for. Speed, physicality, net front present, a "veteran" on the team, finds chemistry with almost everyone, speaks russian (good to have with guys like Buch, Names, Georgiev, Rykov and Shester).

I think the smartest thing to do now is to just sit back and see where it goes. Draft the best talent with every pick and look for roster players in FA. Give the young guys some looks and evaluate the roster in pre season. We have potentially a lot of centers (Zib, Hayes, Names, Spooner, Chytil, Andersson, Howden) so maybe we could use 1-2 of them to get some D. Wouldn't do anything before we know what we got (so atleast not before next season).

Russel and Sekera are trash. Sekera is toast. But they ain't goin anywhere.

I like Benning.

They could flip RNH for another D-man, there's no room for RNH.

Dunny has more than one thing right, on this thread. Some of this we discussed multiple times in the past year or so.

Edm desperately needs top 6/9 wingers. They'd kill for Kreid's fast physical presence on McDavid's wing. Their best trade asset comes back to RNH, due to the salary allocation at C for the next 8 years. Now with Names and the 3 kids, RNH is no longer a need.

Puljujarvi does not impress me and will never live up to draft hype, IMO. I could see Edm dealing him before all the shine is off, someone will still overpay. Not us, I hope.

Kleftbom's game fell off significantly, this year. Another reason they need D. Nurse emerged as their best Dman and is going no where. Bomb is an underwelming 2nd pair guy. Tall, but not physical. Not really fast. His shot and accuracy needs improvement. He'll probably be better next year, but do not mistake him for Trouba, it is not close. I'd rather have Travis Dermott, would you trade Kreids for Dermott? No.

Kreider for Klef is a hard no. Why trade Kreids for mediocrity. Even for Trouba, moving him will leave another big hole. I agree with Larry (and Zuc), we need a power forward with speed who can play on the 1st line. He is not that old. He mixes well with Z&B and is part of the Grandmaster Russian plan.

In this deal, Chirelli does not get fleeced. He does the fleecing, getting the best player in the deal. Trades where we do not get the best player [or the best potential player] are not so attractive now. The only thing Chirelli has that we want is his draft pick. He is the most likely GM (maybe Buff) to trade it. Leon and Nurse are not an option.

Edit: Just saw Zuc's post, you beat me to it. We're thinking the same thing... maybe for Trouba?... followed by... even that hurts a bit.

Puljuj?rvi will be a very good player. If they want to include him that’s the exact type of trade the rangers should pursue. Klefbom though should be avoided at least for somebody like Kreider. I don’t know if Kreider value gets you more but maybe his best value is staying.

Puljuj?rvi is as good as a prospect you’re going to get drafting in the 4-10 range this draft. He’s still extremely young and has tons of skill plus he’s a big kid that can skate. He’s home run potential.

Puljuj?rvi will be a very good player. If they want to include him that’s the exact type of trade the rangers should pursue. Klefbom though should be avoided at least for somebody like Kreider. I don’t know if Kreider value gets you more but maybe his best value is staying.

Puljuj?rvi is as good as a prospect you’re going to get drafting in the 4-10 range this draft. He’s still extremely young and has tons of skill plus he’s a big kid that can skate. He’s home run potential.

Puljujarvi is still very young, so sure. But given a choice I'd rather draft Boqvist or Bouchard (better homerun chance) over taking jarvi.

I'd take a chance on Klef, for someone like Zuc or Spoon, but doesn't really work for Edm now.

Puljujarvi is still very young, so sure. But given a choice I'd rather draft Boqvist or Bouchard (better homerun chance) over taking jarvi.

I'd take a chance on Klef, for someone like Zuc or Spoon, but doesn't really work for Edm now.

Why do you say that? He’s 19. He’s played 70 something games at this point. He’s still an elite prospect who was top 5 pick behind guys who are absolute stars. His bottom is going to be a 20 goal guy with 60 or so points. Plus he’s already defensively sound and he’s a large kid who skates extremely well. He checks every box. Bouchard and Boqvist are great prospects but Puljuj?rvi would rate higher than both during his draft year. Admittedly I’ve seen some bit very little of those two compared to Puljuj?rvi but it seems like sometimes people just like the new more unknown toy. Have you really seen them that much or going by write ups on them. Because if you go back to Puljuj?rvi draft he was at one point challenging Matthews for number 1. He was rated ahead of Dubois and only at the last moment did Laine surpass him after the world championships. He of course hasn’t developed as quickly as those guys but a lot of that is due to what he is. Laine is a sniper who can flat out shoot the puck without peers. Matthews is a generational guy. Dubois is good but probably ends up the fourth guy behind Puljuj?rvi. Puljuj?rvi is a complete guy. A top 6 guy who is very good in his own end. He’s 19 probably not available but if he was Chiarelli would be again be ridiculed if he traded him. He should absolutely be targeted as the price for Kreider. To be honest I’d be ok with a straight up swap.

Then you can take either of those dmen with our first pick. Then everyone is happy

Why do you say that? He’s 19. He’s played 70 something games at this point. He’s still an elite prospect who was top 5 pick behind guys who are absolute stars. His bottom is going to be a 20 goal guy with 60 or so points. Plus he’s already defensively sound and he’s a large kid who skates extremely well. He checks every box. Bouchard and Boqvist are great prospects but Puljuj?rvi would rate higher than both during his draft year. Admittedly I’ve seen some bit very little of those two compared to Puljuj?rvi but it seems like sometimes people just like the new more unknown toy. Have you really seen them that much or going by write ups on them. Because if you go back to Puljuj?rvi draft he was at one point challenging Matthews for number 1. He was rated ahead of Dubois and only at the last moment did Laine surpass him after the world championships. He of course hasn’t developed as quickly as those guys but a lot of that is due to what he is. Laine is a sniper who can flat out shoot the puck without peers. Matthews is a generational guy. Dubois is good but probably ends up the fourth guy behind Puljuj?rvi. Puljuj?rvi is a complete guy. A top 6 guy who is very good in his own end. He’s 19 probably not available but if he was Chiarelli would be again be ridiculed if he traded him. He should absolutely be targeted as the price for Kreider. To be honest I’d be ok with a straight up swap.

Then you can take either of those dmen with our first pick. Then everyone is happy

Puljujarvi was neck and neck with Laine that draft year, in the hype department, but I thought there was a big difference. I liked Matt Tkachuk more too, but I have a bias for some of the Hunter kids with the London Knights. I was super high on Marner here. Tkachuk the following year and Bouchard is the best player on the Knights this year and is underrated, though he is starting to climb. So I've followed him, WJC and a few of the college kids like Brady Tkachuk and Hughes.

I think this year's draft will be among the best for top end dmen. In 2015 you had Hanifin at #5, Provorov at #7 and Werenski at #8. Expect the same type of dmen (maybe more and better) drafted in the top ten this year. It might even rival the 2008 draft of dmen.

As for Puljujarvi, I've watched him in Edm and been surprised how disappointing his play has been. I haven't noticed him as a defensive standout, but he's been anemic on O and not physically imposing in his play. He probably should have been developed better and not thrown into the fire immediately. Who knows, but I'd rather have Edm's pick or Kreids than jarvi. We'll see how he does next year.

Why do you say that? He?s 19. He?s played 70 something games at this point. He?s still an elite prospect who was top 5 pick behind guys who are absolute stars. His bottom is going to be a 20 goal guy with 60 or so points. Plus he?s already defensively sound and he?s a large kid who skates extremely well. He checks every box. Bouchard and Boqvist are great prospects but Puljuj?rvi would rate higher than both during his draft year. Admittedly I?ve seen some bit very little of those two compared to Puljuj?rvi but it seems like sometimes people just like the new more unknown toy. Have you really seen them that much or going by write ups on them. Because if you go back to Puljuj?rvi draft he was at one point challenging Matthews for number 1. He was rated ahead of Dubois and only at the last moment did Laine surpass him after the world championships. He of course hasn?t developed as quickly as those guys but a lot of that is due to what he is. Laine is a sniper who can flat out shoot the puck without peers. Matthews is a generational guy. Dubois is good but probably ends up the fourth guy behind Puljuj?rvi. Puljuj?rvi is a complete guy. A top 6 guy who is very good in his own end. He?s 19 probably not available but if he was Chiarelli would be again be ridiculed if he traded him. He should absolutely be targeted as the price for Kreider. To be honest I?d be ok with a straight up swap.

Yeah FF, somehow someway I'd love to have Puljuj?rvi AND keep Kreids. I don't know how that would happen, but if the whole league is fleecing Chirelli, then why can't we? Thing is, if everyone in Edmonton KNOWS their main issue is mostly lack of scoring, why would they trade HIM of all people. Damn, he is 19? Why did they rush him?.....seems they rush everyone.

Archived