• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Next Step: Some Hagelin/Leddy-Type Trades

Sod16

Thanks for throwing those names out there. Montour is interesting. Maybe Minn with Zucker or Dumba, but they are going to fetch a haul. But a trade with Minny is a good target. Those two, Granlund, Coyle at a discount or others could fit if the price was right.

No to Hartman. Nurse is their best Dman and going nowhere given they need more D. Fabbri may never be the same, untradable until he plays again. Koekkoek has a chronic shoulder injury, not worth anything to us, but a flyer.

Can't see how to get Trouba, though I like the idea. Hayes, Tampa's 1st our 3rd and any one of our D prospects is about all we can afford. Someone else likely beats that deal.

More likely Minn will try to move Ennis and Foligno to make the room to resign Zucker and Dumba. In which case, to Phil's point, we'll take those two contracts off your hands if you give us Kaprizov.

I'm not so sure on Hayes and Vesey just yet...I wonder what they could do under a different coach/system. I'll bet Hayes turns out to be a fantastic 3rd line center in his career, and we may wanna hang on to him a bit. Vesey has intelligence, talent and plays with some fire. Spooner apparently has good jump, and we'll need time to see what else he brings to the team.

These guys may be the core players that we can start with this rebuild. We'll see, but I'd be careful with guys like this. These are the types that end up making us say, "We had them, but we let them go!"

Rick Middleton anyone??????

I'm not so sure on Hayes and Vesey just yet...I wonder what they could do under a different coach/system. I'll bet Hayes turns out to be a fantastic 3rd line center in his career, and we may wanna hang on to him a bit. Vesey has intelligence, talent and plays with some fire. Spooner apparently has good jump, and we'll need time to see what else he brings to the team.

These guys may be the core players that we can start with this rebuild. We'll see, but I'd be careful with guys like this. These are the types that end up making us say, "We had them, but we let them go!"

All of these points are great reasons to trade them. Schrodinger's cat vs the +/- that they could be.

You didn't? Let's agree to at least never mention Ken Hodge again. Trading a young stud like Rick was like the Amonte or Weight overpayment, except they returned something of value. Vesey and Hayes are not with those 3.

However, agree with your take. Hayes and Vesey should get a potentially bigtime new start with a fresh team and staff. This should be a good eval year for both all around, especially with a new coach and culture. Next year is time for both of them to put it all together.

Also agree with Torontonyr with the condition that the Rangers are seeking particular A to A+ prospects and needs one of those guys to make it happen. Valimaki from Calg or Fabbro from Nash is a good example, given their strong D. Timmons from Colorado. Maybe we can shake Kyrou or Thomas from St Louis?

So, I'd do Spooner for Fabro or Valimaki or Timmons. Or how about Vesey and a B prospect dman for Dermott? That kid would be a staple in our top 4, the next 8 years. That's what we need to use our ammo for. Or to move up into the top 4 of the draft.

You didn't? Let's agree to at least never mention Ken Hodge again. Trading a young stud like Rick was like the Amonte or Weight overpayment, except they returned something of value. Vesey and Hayes are not with those 3.

However, agree with your take. Hayes and Vesey should get a potentially bigtime new start with a fresh team and staff. This should be a good eval year for both all around, especially with a new coach and culture. Next year is time for both of them to put it all together.

Also agree with Torontonyr with the condition that the Rangers are seeking particular A to A+ prospects and needs one of those guys to make it happen. Valimaki from Calg or Fabbro from Nash is a good example, given their strong D. Timmons from Colorado. Maybe we can shake Kyrou or Thomas from St Louis?

So, I'd do Spooner for Fabro or Valimaki or Timmons. Or how about Vesey and a B prospect dman for Dermott? That kid would be a staple in our top 4, the next 8 years. That's what we need to use our ammo for. Or to move up into the top 4 of the draft.

If the Rangers couldn't get one of those guys at the deadline, they won't get one of them now. Spooner, Hayes, Vesey aren't even getting you into the conversation for these guys. For the likes of Kyrou and Thomas, we're talking about trading Skjei or Buch, not our C-listers.

Trouba is a definite possibility. Skeij would have to be a piece. Just depends what management thinks of Skjei. Trouba is still extremely young and would fit. Not sure there is any appetite to move skeij thiugh. Make no mistake trouba is better

No appetite. No need to make that trade. Skjei still may be a better player. Now Trouba is coming off a serious injury. He had a nice first half, but he is also surrounded by a Cup capable team.

Look, we have to build around a couple of vets. We should not be looking to trade Zib, Buch, Kreids, Fast (because cheap, no liabilities and fast) and Skjei. Notice Skjei is the only dman.

We should try to get Trouba w/o trading those guys or Lias, Chytil, Shesty and Howden. I would say Hajek, but he might be the key to the deal.

Hayes, Hajek, Tampa's 1st and a 3rd for Trouba.

If the Rangers couldn't get one of those guys at the deadline, they won't get one of them now. Spooner, Hayes, Vesey aren't even getting you into the conversation for these guys. For the likes of Kyrou and Thomas, we're talking about trading Skjei or Buch, not our C-listers.

You are probably right. I guess I'm dreamin. No need to trade Buch or Skjei, they fit the model and we'll be lucky to get 1 for 1 value.

Possibly Hayes, Spooner, Vesey or Namestnikov emerge playing their best hockey next year. We wait and improve their trade value. Or trade one to move a slot or two into the top 4. Unless they can return a player we actually want for the long term, we don't NEED to trade any of em.

Ok, no more Ken Hodge!! :rofl:

Point is I think they should be given another chance under better circumstances. But I gotcha Giac!!

I don't think Vesey carries any value other than maybe a really low round pick. He listed at 6'3" 206, he plays like a guy drastically smaller. If he's in front of the net it's probably by accident. He's shown virtually nothing and he's a disaster in his own end, he'll also be 25 in May. The hype around his signing had me excited to get this kid. But over the past two seasons I've reached the point of he'll never be a difference maker and I find him invisible more often than not. He's a part of the problem not the solution imo.

We are going to find out what he has or doesn’t have starting now. He’s going to see increased roles and ice time. It’s a huge opportunity for him and others. He’s been an afterthought for much of his time here. No more. It’s sink or swim.

Agreed but if a lot of these guys more talented they would actually have earned more ice time, been more productive and hell even made other guys around them better. To me that's the root of the problem and it's even more exaggerated now after selling off the guys we needed to move. These guys didn't do much if anything to separate themselves from all the others. I think he was an afterthought because that's all he deserved to be based on his play. Before we had a whole bunch of marginally talented guys by NHL standards and now we have even less. Hopefully what's left steps way up and I'm hoping to be wrong thinking they just aren't good enough.

Time will tell as you point out.

Archived