• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fans? Wallets Would Get Break with Letdown Season

paddynyc

True. The tickets that I own are the ones they want to. Center ice last row on the aisle. I actually picked up a fourth seat this past summer. When I got my bill the extra seat which was the aisle seat was not $90 it was $112. I called and asked wtf and they told me that market price as an individual seat was $112. It was already to late for me to back out so they stuck me with it.

This is not drama. These are facts. They don’t care that I’ve had tickets for 15 years. I’m not the only one. They are throwing away me to pursue marginal more money. They will come begging when they suck or after the next lockout when they need the loyal fan. To late,fuck them. I will gladly bring my kids to see the devils where they appreciate the business.

My dad took me to games that’s how I became a fan then a season ticket holding customer. How many parents can take their kids to multiple games even one game a year? In the 80’s and 90’s ranger tickets weren’t much more than a devil game. Now the ticket prices aren’t even close yet both teams invest the same because of the cap in the product. Ranger fans are getting screwed by the nhl and Dolan. It’s a double pentration with no lube. It might not show up immediately but they are doing irreparable damage that they will regret.

This is all spot on. There is a reason 4 professional sports are trillion dollar businesses, in this country. Parents introduce kids to the sports and teams, make it a part of their life, their home, their tradition. It becomes genuine and deep. However, the loyal customer should not be taken for granted, nor should the future fan support to the team or the sport. My kids could give a shit about any of the 4 leagues or the 4 teams I follow. And their friends are all the same.

Josh, taking your kids to a game shouldn't require giving up family necessities if you are an upper middle class household. But the current situation does require it. In the long run, I think it is bad business. You obviously disagree.

I contend MSG is a publicly owned and traded company that is now most concerned with quarterly profits and maybe annual returns. Not the long term interest of the fans or Ranger franchise. They tell you every conference call/meeting that all decisions are based on the interest of the shareholders first and only.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Puck is life and watching games live is awesome but why even get angry about the ticket prices? Nothing in NYC is cheap. Spend your money wisely. The cost of 3-4 games is what most people spend on a small vacation. No one is forcing you to be there and quite honestly with HD, a nice tv and a comfy couch its not a bad way to go for much less money.

edit: not directing this at anyone just making an observation.

True. The tickets that I own are the ones they want to. Center ice last row on the aisle. I actually picked up a fourth seat this past summer. When I got my bill the extra seat which was the aisle seat was not $90 it was $112. I called and asked wtf and they told me that market price as an individual seat was $112. It was already to late for me to back out so they stuck me with it.

This is not drama. These are facts. They don’t care that I’ve had tickets for 15 years. I’m not the only one. They are throwing away me to pursue marginal more money. They will come begging when they suck or after the next lockout when they need the loyal fan. To late,fuck them. I will gladly bring my kids to see the devils where they appreciate the business.

My dad took me to games that’s how I became a fan then a season ticket holding customer. How many parents can take their kids to multiple games even one game a year? In the 80’s and 90’s ranger tickets weren’t much more than a devil game. Now the ticket prices aren’t even close yet both teams invest the same because of the cap in the product. Ranger fans are getting screwed by the nhl and Dolan. It’s a double pentration with no lube. It might not show up immediately but they are doing irreparable damage that they will regret.

This all seems really...tone deaf or something. I get it, higher ticket prices suck, but it's not like the Rangers owe you anything and I think it's a pretty significant case of self-entitlement if you think you deserve more than anybody else because you've been a ticket holder for 15 years. Hotels and airlines might give out loyalty rewards, but in-demand sports teams sure as hell don't.

Your problem isn't with the Rangers, it is with the people who are willing to pay a lot more for a ticket than you, they're the ones pricing you out of your seat. If I was Dolan, or any other owner, I'd be doing the same thing, and the Devils don't appreciate your business any more than the Rangers. They care about dollars vs. seats, not who is paying for them.

That's not to mention the fact that you're complaining about not being able to afford the most luxury of luxury items, and 4 of them to boot.

This all seems really...tone deaf or something. I get it, higher ticket prices suck, but it's not like the Rangers owe you anything and I think it's a pretty significant case of self-entitlement if you think you deserve more than anybody else because you've been a ticket holder for 15 years. Hotels and airlines might give out loyalty rewards, but in-demand sports teams sure as hell don't.

Your problem isn't with the Rangers, it is with the people who are willing to pay a lot more for a ticket than you, they're the ones pricing you out of your seat. If I was Dolan, or any other owner, I'd be doing the same thing, and the Devils don't appreciate your business any more than the Rangers. They care about dollars vs. seats, not who is paying for them.

That's not to mention the fact that you're complaining about not being able to afford the most luxury of luxury items, and 4 of them to boot.

Yeah, but I mean where else is he supposed to complain but on a Ranger site on a thread about season tickets?

You make good points, but is it really good long term business to extract every last bit of profit and goodwill from your customers? My experience has taught me different. The attitudes of corporate arrogance and hubris can be short lived if one takes your customers for granted or feel too entitled and feel you don't have to really earn it.

Yeah, but I mean where else is he supposed to complain but on a Ranger site on a thread about season tickets?

You make good points, but is it really good long term business to extract every last bit of profit and goodwill from your customers? My experience has taught me different. The attitudes of corporate arrogance and hubris can be short lived if one takes your customers for granted or feel too entitled and feel you don't have to really earn it.

Well it's not the only thread he's said it lol, and I don't really disagree that it sucks, just think the anger is directed in the wrong place.

Idk about corporate arrogance and hubris, but the second the Rangers can't fill seats, prices will go down. It's supply and demand, none of the emotional appeals matter. That might be true for a team like Carolina or Arizona who can't fill their arenas, but not the Rangers.

Thank you for enlightening me. This is a ranger blog and a memo “concerning” the fans was just sent out. I’m over being angry, I’m done. I thought posting my experiences with having tickets might be useful for somebody who hasn’t dealt with them. Prices are prices. Agreeing to pay them is nothing to complain about after the fact. Changing the terms of those agreements after you are already locked in and can’t get out is unethical at best.

I’m done with buying tickets. My point about the devils is only stating that if my kids want to see an nhl game we will go there because that is what I can afford.

You also don’t know the ass kissing and appreciation the rangers and the league showed after the lockout. The stance of never forgetting their loyal customers. Quite frankly that is not the people sitting at home. They are important and I will now become one of them. The rangers have long ago forgot what they preached after the lockout.

Entitled? Not quite. I own my own business and work everyday of my life. I truly believe they are making a mistake. Prices are what they are and their prerogative. However their stance and it is their corporate stance of no longer valuing season ticket holders will come back to bite them in the ass, especially in the down years.

I won’t post anymore about this subject because my posts were meant to inform, not complain, or be entitled. But of course others on here already know everything about a season ticket holders experience rather than the people that actually had that experience before the lockout, after, and now.

Somebody started a post titled season ticket holders getting a break in the wallet in which I’ve decided to join the discussion. Honestly it would be great to hear from another season ticket holder who actually is effected by this.

Funny how my opinion, at least in your eyes, is the only one not worth at least an once of thought other than to demean.

So apparently discussing this subject in a thread dedicated to this exact subject was wrong by me.

why dont you do the most businessman-like thing and sell them online?

Did you expect that your ticket prices would never increase, and you'd get 2 more season tickets next to your current seats, because you had kids, and you would sit there as a family when you were 80 years old?

I won’t post anymore about this subject because my posts were meant to inform, not complain, or be entitled. But of course others on here already know everything about a season ticket holders experience rather than the people that actually had that experience before the lockout, after, and now.

Somebody started a post titled season ticket holders getting a break in the wallet in which I’ve decided to join the discussion. Honestly it would be great to hear from another season ticket holder who actually is effected by this.

So apparently discussing this subject in a thread dedicated to this exact subject was wrong by me.

No, I found your posts on the subject insightful and informative and valuable. That is why I defended the content of your posts. You, me and others should not let those who disagree stop us from making sense and adding a different perspective and vantage point to the concern. That is what the Russians are trying to do!!!!

You also have to find humor in people with less experience with the Ranger's, tickets, family and running businesses to constantly tell us we do not understand business. I've owned mukltiple successful businesses, FYI.

I do. Have for years. With dynamic pricing you can’t sell them at anything close to face value. The market they say is there doesn’t exist. The season ticket holders are propping up their resale market because what do they care if they put a $178 price tag on a December devils game. You might be able to move it for $80-$90. But the idea that without the season ticket holder they can continue charging $178 for a game in December doesn’t hold water. Those tickets would not sell.

I’m not getting into it. You guys know everything about even things you have zero knowledge of. I’m not going to continue to respond with actual thoughts. Only to be derided as entitled or tone deaf. It’s not like this is a thread dedicated to a discussion like that anyway

Thank you for enlightening me. This is a ranger blog and a memo “concerning” the fans was just sent out. I’m over being angry, I’m done. I thought posting my experiences with having tickets might be useful for somebody who hasn’t dealt with them. Prices are prices. Agreeing to pay them is nothing to complain about after the fact. Changing the terms of those agreements after you are already locked in and can’t get out is unethical at best.

I’m done with buying tickets. My point about the devils is only stating that if my kids want to see an nhl game we will go there because that is what I can afford.

You also don’t know the ass kissing and appreciation the rangers and the league showed after the lockout. The stance of never forgetting their loyal customers. Quite frankly that is not the people sitting at home. They are important and I will now become one of them. The rangers have long ago forgot what they preached after the lockout.

Entitled? Not quite. I own my own business and work everyday of my life. I truly believe they are making a mistake. Prices are what they are and their prerogative. However their stance and it is their corporate stance of no longer valuing season ticket holders will come back to bite them in the ass, especially in the down years.

Funny how my opinion, at least in your eyes, is the only one not worth at least an once of thought other than to demean.

You can discuss this all you want, go ahead. Doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you. But let's not act like this is the only time you have complained about the ticket prices.

Idk what you're talking about in the bolded, so, whatever.

And just to be clear I don’t have four seats by myself I have two others that split them with me. We are all out. The people sitting next to me are out. Another friend who originally shared my seats bought bar stool seats with two friends and he’s worse off than us. He’s out. Another friend who has had tickets in his family 50+ years is out. Most are out because of dynamic pricing, not ticket average prices.

DynAmic pricing allows for the Panthers game to be $56 face value, you can get your money back on that. When the pens, Bruins, leafs, whatever high demand game comes up they price it to points where you cannot sell it. They would only allow you to sell for 20% less than face. That is the floor. The floor is still to high a price for people to buy. That’s why the changed it to no floor. Of course they have a bad year and even $30 won’t sell sometimes.

I know I know you don’t buy the tickets to sell. I can’t make 41 games. In a good year before kids I’d go to 30. But when you can’t go you need to be able to move them. They took that away.

I’m telling you problems are coming if they stay the course. That is not complaining those are facts.

The memo happened for a reason. People are doing exactly what they hoped.

You can discuss this all you want, go ahead. Doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you. But let's not act like this is the only time you have complained about the ticket prices.

Idk what you're talking about in the bolded, so, whatever.

Significant case of self entitlement, tone deaf? No idea?

I do. Have for years. With dynamic pricing you can’t sell them at anything close to face value. The market they say is there doesn’t exist. The season ticket holders are propping up their resale market because what do they care if they put a $178 price tag on a December devils game. You might be able to move it for $80-$90. But the idea that without the season ticket holder they can continue charging $178 for a game in December doesn’t hold water. Those tickets would not sell.

I’m not getting into it. You guys know everything about even things you have zero knowledge of. I’m not going to continue to respond with actual thoughts. Only to be derided as entitled or tone deaf. It’s not like this is a thread dedicated to a discussion like that anyway

Obviously none of us have ever seen increased prices that made us re-evaluate our priorities and expenses like cellphone bills, cable bills, internet, insurance, season tickets to other sports/teams other than the Rangers, brazzers, netflix, parking, property tax, etc

I think it is, sorry if you took that as demeaning. It's not meant to be, just my interpretation of what you said. I mean, can you at least admit that, at most, it's an extreme first-world problem.

I think it's also pretty demeaning that you think nobody else understands budgeting when recreational expenses change lol

I do. Have for years. With dynamic pricing you can?t sell them at anything close to face value. The market they say is there doesn?t exist. The season ticket holders are propping up their resale market because what do they care if they put a $178 price tag on a December devils game. You might be able to move it for $80-$90. But the idea that without the season ticket holder they can continue charging $178 for a game in December doesn?t hold water. Those tickets would not sell.

I?m not getting into it. You guys know everything about even things you have zero knowledge of. I?m not going to continue to respond with actual thoughts. Only to be derided as entitled or tone deaf. It?s not like this is a thread dedicated to a discussion like that anyway

I sold every game for face or above face value except for 4 games, and those games were Rangers vs. Devils (10/14), Penguins (10/17), Islanders (10/19), and Predators (10/21). All these games were in the midst of the Rangers not winning games in the beginning of the season and the Yankees in the playoffs. I havent been to a game since the Arizona game (10/26) b/c I was able to sell all my tickets. It does suck that they do dynamic pricing but thats the way sports is going. Yankees/Mets do it, I believe the Islanders do it, so why shouldnt the Rangers do it? It does suck that we (season tix holders) cant make as much money b/c of the dynamic pricing but the teams have every right to make as much money and not have the season ticket holder benefit. Its rough for me to pay for season tickets but as long as I break even or make some money to pay for playoffs or the next season then thats what i will do. The day that I lose $$$ will be the day that I am out as a season ticket holder.

'

My favorite games to go to were the Flyers/Islander games when the ticket prices were more affordable (4-5 years ago), but now they are the games that I can make a significant profit to off-set the cost of the games that I sell at face/below face or have to eat. I havent been to a Rangers/Islanders or Flyers game in like 3-4 years. Whatever games don't sell are the one's that I go to as my games for the year which ends up being 4-8 games a year. This year i've been to 5 all in October.

Honestly it would be great to hear from another season ticket holder who actually is effected by this.

Not a season ticket holder as you know, but you are not the first person complaining about the Rangers treatment of season ticket holders, you are the 3rd person I know who have it with MSG and how they conduct business. All this changed when they did the renovations removed 90% of the 400 section and created the lounge atmosphere at the games. The crowd energy is gone and not like it used to be when I started going.

So don’t agree. How about a post about why changing the terms of their agreement after I’ve already paid half the money or changing the price of the ticket mid payments as ok by you? Tell me why that is ok? How that is tone deaf or entitled?

I own a catering business. I quote you $100 for something. I cater your party then bill you $500. That ok by you?

Sure don’t pay it. I get it. Fine print they have the right to fuck you.

Then get a letter from msg to stock holders saying they are trying to rid themselves of season ticket holders. How do you want me to take it? I’m not delusional to think they owe me anything. I would hope though that they would have enough decency to allow for anyone to get out of an agreement and refund their money if they change the terms.

You’re right this isn’t the first time I’ve mentioned it. Only proof that I’m not complaing now because of the performance of the team. I wanted out in August and they wouldn’t let me. I know for a fact I’m not the only one.

Odd that they wouldn’t let me out when they don’t want season ticket holders. They want them under those terms, they have nothing to lose propping up prices when all the tickets are sold.

Not a season ticket holder as you know, but you are not the first person complaining about the Rangers treatment of season ticket holders, you are the 3rd person I know who have it with MSG and how they conduct business. All this changed when they did the renovations removed 90% of the 400 section and created the lounge atmosphere at the games. The crowd energy is gone and not like it used to be when I started going.

Agreed, I was pissed at the renovations, my tixs went from like $30 to $52 or $54 in one off season. This season my seats had the highest percentage increase, my seats went from $62 to $78 (average) per tix. I reemed out my rep but what is he gonna do, he works for Dolan and it doesnt matter what I say b/c the next guy will take my seats in a second.

So don’t agree. How about a post about why changing the terms of their agreement after I’ve already paid half the money or changing the price of the ticket mid payments as ok by you? Tell me why that is ok? How that is tone deaf or entitled?

I own a catering business. I quote you $100 for something. I cater your party then bill you $500. That ok by you?

Sure don’t pay it. I get it. Fine print they have the right to fuck you.

Read the fine print. If it's not in the fine print that they can do that, sue them. If you signed something that said you understood that they could change the prices, I don't really know what you're complaining about. The ethics of big business? Because that's what they all do. Just stop buying.

And yes, it is tone deaf, even if you are getting screwed. Your ranting over the value of your tickets to Rangers' games. This shit happens on cable bills, lines of credit, taxes, health care, etc. etc. etc. and that kind of thing has an impact on people's lives. So yea, it's incredibly tone deaf to be so upset and it's absolutely a sense of entitlement to think they owe you some sort of reward for being a long-time season ticket owner.

I sold every game for face or above face value except for 4 games, and those games were Rangers vs. Devils (10/14), Penguins (10/17), Islanders (10/19), and Predators (10/21). All these games were in the midst of the Rangers not winning games in the beginning of the season and the Yankees in the playoffs. I havent been to a game since the Arizona game (10/26) b/c I was able to sell all my tickets. It does suck that they do dynamic pricing but thats the way sports is going. Yankees/Mets do it, I believe the Islanders do it, so why shouldnt the Rangers do it? It does suck that we (season tix holders) cant make as much money b/c of the dynamic pricing but the teams have every right to make as much money and not have the season ticket holder benefit. Its rough for me to pay for season tickets but as long as I break even or make some money to pay for playoffs or the next season then thats what i will do. The day that I lose $$$ will be the day that I am out as a season ticket holder.

'

My favorite games to go to were the Flyers/Islander games when the ticket prices were more affordable (4-5 years ago), but now they are the games that I can make a significant profit to off-set the cost of the games that I sell at face/below face or have to eat. I havent been to a Rangers/Islanders or Flyers game in like 3-4 years. Whatever games don't sell are the one's that I go to as my games for the year which ends up being 4-8 games a year. This year i've been to 5 all in October.

Thank you for your post. Do you sell most on the exchange or privately? My Issue in a nut shell is that dynamic pricing should have been told to the customers upon renewal not after. I wanted out when they informed me in August. I wanted out when they informed me in August that the fourth seat was $22 more than my other three. I was told I renewed and agreed to the fourth seat. I did but at the old pricing and at $90 in March.

When did they inform you of dynMic pricing? I knew my tickets were going to $90 in March. I added the fourth seat in June at $90. In August it was $112.

Of course this is a first world problem. No shit. This is not about me budgeting anything. This is them changing the terms of our agreement and leaving no ability for me to withdrawal from the charged agreement. I don’t have any idea how anybody cannot see that that is not ethical business practice.

This shit happens on cable bills, lines of credit, taxes, health care, etc. etc. etc. and that kind of thing has an impact on people's lives. So yea, it's incredibly tone deaf to be so upset and it's absolutely a sense of entitlement to think they owe you some sort of reward for being a long-time season ticket owner.

Future on the options you listed you at least have a chance to change say your cable provider, credit, health care, taxes, well we are screwed here.

I sold most on the exchange. Probably about 12 games to friends/friends of friends/or co-workers. Didnt sell one game this year on Stubhub which I sold the majority in the past.

Just like you they informed me in August about the dynamic pricing and was like WTF, at that point I already sold a bunch of games at $78 to friends not knowing that the Rangers/Oilers (etc....) game had a price of $90.50 per seat. Its definitely shady business BUT im sure other teams are doing it too. Since the Rangers have zero chance for the Cup I hope they dont make the playoffs b/c I dont want my seats to go up after this season.

Read the fine print. If it's not in the fine print that they can do that, sue them. If you signed something that said you understood that they could change the prices, I don't really know what you're complaining about. The ethics of big business? Because that's what they all do. Just stop buying.

And yes, it is tone deaf, even if you are getting screwed. Your ranting over the value of your tickets to Rangers' games. This shit happens on cable bills, lines of credit, taxes, health care, etc. etc. etc. and that kind of thing has an impact on people's lives. So yea, it's incredibly tone deaf to be so upset and it's absolutely a sense of entitlement to think they owe you some sort of reward for being a long-time season ticket owner.

I’m not buying anymore.

I’m on a ranger blog in a thread discussing ticket holders wallets the tone of the disussion is exactly that.

You want to discuss healthcare, cable bills, etc. You know nothing about me or anything about my entitlement you perceive. I’m engaging in the discussion the thread was started for and your moving the ball into a territory that has nothing to do with the subject. One has nothing to do with the other.

If your point is that there are more important things in my life than my tickets, well thanks. I have two kids, a wife, a business, employees lives to worry about first so yeah a couple of things thanks.

Your point conquers every thread on this site. Why are we discussing returns on trades when there are so many homeless? Everybody here is so tone deaf. Save it

I sold most on the exchange. Probably about 12 games to friends/friends of friends/or co-workers. Didnt sell one game this year on Stubhub which I sold the majority in the past.

Just like you they informed me in August about the dynamic pricing and was like WTF, at that point I already sold a bunch of games at $78 to friends not knowing that the Rangers/Oilers (etc....) game had a price of $90.50 per seat. Its definitely shady business BUT im sure other teams are doing it too. Since the Rangers have zero chance for the Cup I hope they dont make the playoffs b/c I dont want my seats to go up after this season.

I don’t disagree with you about other teams. I just felt like they should have let me out after changing the agreement. I actually talked to a lawyer and was told it was a waste of time because obviously they have a lot more resources than me and that I should just not renew. What I don’t understand is that if the tickets are so easy to sell for them why didn’t they just let me out, no hard feelings, and let that line of people waiting supposedly buy them?

Archived