• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Erik Karlsson - New Centerpiece?

jsm7302

aging star.

At 27? Enough has been made about how he's not the player he was before the surgery. He was fantastic on one leg in the playoffs last year. You don't win cups without a couple of ultra elite talents, which we do not have. Aside from Jagr for a year or two, we haven't had an ultra elite skater since about 1997 (We have not had a skater chosen for the First or Second postseason all star teams since 1997). We are not likely to get one meandering around, missing the playoffs, and picking about 10th in the draft. For God's sake, this is the reigning Norris winner!

For gods sake this team is going into a rebuild as are the senators. They want draft picks and top prospects. For Karlsson they are going to want 4-5 of those. For gods sake the rebuilding rangers are going to trade Andersson chytil Igor and two first round picks for Karlsson? For gods sake what am I thinking?

You are correct that there are other teams with more of what the Sens might want than what we have. If they were willing to do a deal that started with McD with some younger talent mixed in, I'd do it.

That?s not how rebuilding works. You?re not talking about a 20 y/o. By the time this team is legit, Karlsson will be 30/31 and broken down. Dealing for him at this stage makes absolutely no sense.

That’s not how rebuilding works. You’re not talking about a 20 y/o. By the time this team is legit, Karlsson will be 30/31 and broken down. Dealing for him at this stage makes absolutely no sense.

this team is not going into a rebuild for 3-4 years. they will try to be competitive next year. they will sign few UFA in the offseason too

this team is not going into a rebuild for 3-4 years. they will try to be competitive next year. they will sign few UFA in the offseason too

I disagree, I believe they?re going to tear it down as much as they can (unable to move Hanks contract) and rebuild through the draft.

But for the sake of an argument with them not rebuilding and making a move like this, being competitive and legit contenders is 2 totally different things. Why would you want to trade your best asset for a an injured and aging player that will be a UFA the following season?

I disagree, I believe they’re going to tear it down as much as they can (unable to move Hanks contract) and rebuild through the draft.

But for the sake of an argument with them not rebuilding and making a move like this, being competitive and legit contenders is 2 totally different things. Why would you want to trade your best asset for a an injured and aging player that will be a UFA the following season?

I'm not saying you should trade McD for karlson but karlson is 10 times the player McD will every be.

I think Karlson is damaged good, otherwise why would the sens want to move him? he's an elite d-man any team dreams about

I disagree, I believe they’re going to tear it down as much as they can (unable to move Hanks contract) and rebuild through the draft.

Replacing Hank will be a much bigger issue than dealing with his cap hit for a few more seasons.

They'll make their moves to get "younger, stronger, faster and more skilled" players, and re-evaluate prior to the draft, and again over the summer.

Way too many assets to completely tear it down. If that happens, it will be in 3-4 years when all the contracts are off the books.

Replacing Hank will be a much bigger issue than dealing with his cap hit for a few more seasons.

They'll make their moves to get "younger, stronger, faster and more skilled" players, and re-evaluate prior to the draft, and again over the summer.

Way too many assets to completely tear it down. If that happens, it will be in 3-4 years when all the contracts are off the books.

When I say tear it down, I mean the likes of what we?ve been talking about here for the last week. Moving Nash, Grabner, Zucc, McD and even finding a way to move Staal. As for Hank?s replacement, everyone seems to rave about Shestyorkin so we can hope that he?s at least 75% of what Hank was and it?s a homerun.

Why would they want mcd? He’s not going to sign there just like Karlsson.

No one who's going to be a UFA for the next couple of years is going to re-sign with the Sens, so what they need is high end players with at least three years left on their contracts and no NTCs. That's an incredibly limited group. So if they are intent on trading him and want proven players, they will have to take McD or others like him.

When I say tear it down, I mean the likes of what we’ve been talking about here for the last week. Moving Nash, Grabner, Zucc, McD and even finding a way to move Staal. As for Hank’s replacement, everyone seems to rave about Shestyorkin so we can hope that he’s at least 75% of what Hank was and it’s a homerun.

The last few overly hyped goalies that game into the league were Jack Campbell, Jonas Gustafsson, and Jakob Markstrom.

His KHL stats are similar to Karri Ramo.

The last few overly hyped goalies that game into the league were Jack Campbell, Jonas Gustafsson, and Jakob Markstrom.

His KHL stats are similar to Karri Ramo.

The first 3 never played in the KHL.

Shestyorkin has save percentages of .937 and .930 in his first two years with a substantial KHL workload. Ramo averaged .923 over his first 4 years in the KHL and just hit .930 for the first time this year. Shestyorkin has 14 shutouts in 58 games over the last two seasons, Ramo has 18 in 190 games. Plus, Ramo was, I think 23 when he started in the KHL, Shestyorkin just turned 22 in December. So they're similar, but also, not even close.

The first 3 never played in the KHL.

Shestyorkin has save percentages of .937 and .930 in his first two years with a substantial KHL workload. Ramo averaged .923 over his first 4 years in the KHL and just hit .930 for the first time this year. Shestyorkin has 14 shutouts in 58 games over the last two seasons, Ramo has 18 in 190 games. Plus, Ramo was, I think 23 when he started in the KHL, Shestyorkin just turned 22 in December. So they're similar, but also, not even close.

Because there arent a lot of KHL/NHL goalies to choose from.

Great cherry picking on stats, though.

Because there arent a lot of KHL/NHL goalies to choose from.

Great cherry picking on stats, though.

Then just don't compare him to anyone? There's no point in mentioning three random guys who didn't pan out.

You said, specifically, his numbers compare to Ramo. Unless you have some other goaltending metrics, there's no cherry picking. Shestyorkin's are easily better than Ramo's at a younger age.

Igor is a top prospect. But the khl is an odd league. There are 4-5 top teams while all the others are like all teams playing in the nhl. So yes he has great numbers but the competition in 2/3rds of the games is awful. Means nothing maybe. All scouts agree he’s the real deal hopefully they are right but he’s just a kid. Finding an adequate goalie will not be a problem. Finding what hank has brought the past decade or more isn’t happening. However you would hope the rangers could build a stronger team in front of whoever fills the net.

Shesty is gonna be a good one, let's hope Allaire is still here to ensure it. He's much better than Ramo.

Dunny, I often think the same thing. Only problem is those 40 goalies are already property of another NHL team. We want and need Shesty to work out.

For those who say we won't have another big time goalie, guess I've been blessed. A good part of my childhood minded with Giacomin, then JD. After that it was Beezer with Froese as backup. Then Richter, with Healy as backup. Then a dry spell until Hank. Not bad.

Archived