• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

An Alternative, Youthful, Trade Deadline Approach

Plus, like Mike pointed out on AA, he might be an ideal replacement if and when Grabner signs a bigger deal elsewhere.

Well the kid has some resemblance to the young Grabner on the Island. He seems like he may develop a scoring touch sooner.

As for Reinhart, was saying on another thread that he's looked decent recently. Finally. Buff looks better in general, as Eichel gets more dominant. Think Buff would trade him, but possibly not cheap enough for you me or Gorton. Buff is not motivated to sell now or sell low, anyway.

Bottom line, he won't be expensive, but won't be cheap. Trading Miller or Zuc or anything like that for him is too risky.

I'm of the opinion that highly touted high draft picks who aren't clicking in the NHL by the end of about their second full season are probably not going to pan out. Yes, there are exceptions, but I believe most of the players listed are simply going to turn out to be disappointments. Grabner is not an example in favor of trading for any of these guys. Mind you, he previously had a 30 goal year in the NHL, so what we are seeing is not totally new. That a 31 year old has turned it around does not promote the idea that a 21 year old who has been a disappointment will do so. The rest of the league pretty much subscribes to my "two year rule" described above. That's why Anthony Duclair commanded a high price as a rookie and after roughly two years of NHL action was recently traded for a used puck bag.

Brassard and Zibanejad are two that come to mind of not living up to the hype but both are very good. Sometimes the hype is to big but it doesn?t take away from what they are. Top 6 forwards that produce.

What about Puljujarvi, Ryan Stome and/or Caleb Jones from Edmonton

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Puljujarvi would be way too expensive and Strome is almost 25. Caleb Jones is a good thought, but he's a little too early in his career to think that anything is really going wrong. Nothing has happened to decrease his value since he was drafted.

The point is to buy on prospects who are kind of lower value now than what their ceiling might be. The Sams aren't having particularly good years, Strome and Merkley can't crack ARZ's lineup while Milano can't get in for CBJ.

I'm of the opinion that highly touted high draft picks who aren't clicking in the NHL by the end of about their second full season are probably not going to pan out.

Well, they might not pan out to where they were drafted - Reinhart at #3 not being a top center is a miss.

But if he can be a middle-six, 45-point winger who the Rangers could acquire for a mid-tier prospect and a pick, that's great value. I don't really think the goal is to sign these guys with the thought that they'll reach their ceiling, the idea is that you can buy low on them BECAUSE they aren't going to reach their ceiling and still get productive players. So while they might not totally "pan out" relative to their draft position, they could work in a different role and environment.

Use Dylan McIlrath as a potential example. In New York, he was a busted #10 overall defenseman. Florida traded a 7th-round pick and non-impact player, Kampfer, for him. Even if McIlrath didn't sniff being a top-4 defenseman there, if he could give them 13:00 good a night, that's tremendous value for Florida.

Archived