• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

J.T. Brown Raises First During Anthem

Phil

Point being - we all face challenges in life.

We all have something about us that leads to discrimination.

He's had an easy life. Same with Kaep.

This shit is for publicity, not a civil movement.

But Kaep is trying to make a civil movement. He's protesting police brutality, and also trying to change the people that make the stereotypes the way they are.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/5/1/15508976/colin-kaepernick-suit-donation-new-york-parole-office

On Sunday, Kaepernick was passing out suits in front of the New York State Parole office for people who have been released from prison and are looking for jobs.

It continues what?s been a highly productive offseason for Kaepernick. In March, he helped get an airplane to fly food and water to Somalia. A GoFundMe page was raised to purchase water, food, and other supplies to send. The page surpassed its $2 million goal in just four days.

But you could also write all of this off as publicity too, if you wanted to. :rolleyes:

In the other thread, I already praised him for actually doing something.

Taking a knee isnt doing anything.

If you want to make a change, change a stereotype you have to do it. Get out in the community and do good.

I'm happy to agree to disagree on taking a knee. Giving a voice to the voiceless (by protesting what the masses are feeling), getting people to discuss (heatedly) on sensitive issues. All without riots such as the ones in 2015 Baltimore.

But I also agree with you 100% on making a difference in the community to change the stereotype in order to change the result. Kaep is doing it. From what I read last week, owners and players met with Goodell to figure out a way to work with communities to do that. All of this stemmed from taking a knee, sitting down, or raising a fist. So personally I think it's relevant and appropriate.

I'm happy to agree to disagree on taking a knee. Giving a voice to the voiceless (by protesting what the masses are feeling), getting people to discuss (heatedly) on sensitive issues. All without riots such as the ones in 2015 Baltimore.

But I also agree with you 100% on making a difference in the community to change the stereotype in order to change the result. Kaep is doing it. From what I read last week, owners and players met with Goodell to figure out a way to work with communities to do that. All of this stemmed from taking a knee, sitting down, or raising a fist. So personally I think it's relevant and appropriate.

No one is discussing the issue. Everyone is discussing kneeing. That's a huge problem.

No one is discussing the issue. Everyone is discussing kneeing. That's a huge problem.

That's very true, and I actually blame both sides almost equally for it. I think the protesters themselves, much like Occupy WS, lack the kind of unity and singular drive to reinforce the purpose of their protest, and I also feel (probably fueled by the former) that a lot of the objection to them kneeling is almost obscurantly ignorant. Either way, the conversation is all wrong. It probably requires something of a soft reset to correct course.

I'd rather have them coming out holding up t-shirts or signs with victim names on it, or anytime kneeling/anthem is mentioned/asked they should tell a story, or a stat.

Its up to them to shine the spotlight on the problem, not shine it on themselves.

I'd rather have them ALL come out and concentrate on playing football, which is what the fans are paying outrageous ticket prices and PSL licenses for, and watching endless penalty calls and timeouts. It's all nothing but a distraction. Much like the ridiculous TD celebrations. Guy runs one yard unmolested for a TD, which he is getting paid for BTW, and goes into a hula, mambo, rhumba, lindy hop routine. Oh yeah. You just gotta throw that football into the stands or slam it on the ground. They act like jerks.

Grew up rich, everything handed to him, was a complete douche in Syracuse because he thought he was deserving of and owed everything. Some of the encounters with him downtown... he's a real piece of work, but that's already well documented.

Stereotypical ignorant protester

right, because being born wealthy means you cant have feelings about race

Racism, dude I lived ina primarily black city and didn't get jobs because of my color.

And you whined for years saying you were discriminated because you were atheist.

Try being fuxking short. Can't get jobs, raises, promotions, chicks, spots on sports teams, etc. it's not like we all don't face certain hurdles in life.

I bet I got cut from more hockey teams that I deserved to be on for my size and social status than he did because he was black.

cmon dude, are you really going to compare being short to being black in america?

i mean, for most of this countries history there were laws dedicated to enslaving/disenfranchising/segregating short people, and while those laws have been overturned the effects are still being felt through society right?

Oh wait I got that wrong.

I know people like to think we live in this great equal society right now, but just remember that if you see a black person with some gray hair, they lived in an America where they couldn't take a crap in the same bathrooms as white people. That was literally the law in this country. Is it so unrealistic to think that, considering how little we are removed from that part of our history, that there could be some ripple effects still being felt in this country's culture?

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2017/10/18/16498580/jt-brown-national-anthem-protest-tampa-bay-lightning-community

Brown will now no longer raise his fist during the national anthem.

“I am done raising my fist during the national anthem,” Brown said on Twitter. “I am now using this support, opportunity, and platform to call out everyone who agreed or disagreed with me to help by sharing suggestions, continuing respectful conversations, and looking for ways they too can help make a difference in their community.”

Instead, Brown is now using the support of his teammates, coaches, and Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik to build bridges with the law enforcement in the community.

He attended a Tampa Police Academy training session with a few other teammates and said it was very eye opening. Went through traffic stop scenarios where the driver might or might not be armed as well as a shooting exercise where they has to quickly decide if the situation warranted deadly force. Something like that. I saw it posted on my Facebook feel, I'll try to find it and post it up.

Ok, I've changed my feeling about J.T. I applaud him on having the guts to go learn, on a very small level, what police officers are faced with. It took an open mind for him to accept the invitation and, unfortunately, we don't see enough open minds out there at the moment. I also applaud him for not raising his fist anymore as well after learning.

Archived