• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Restricted Free Agents To Be Available In Vegas Signing Window

Phil

Yes. They can entice McPhee with draft picks, for example.

Staal would need to waive his NMC in order to be exposed. Highly unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Of course! Anyway I think its going to be hard to deal with Vegas. They are going to get lots of offers but in the end they dont need 14 third round picks and a bunch of leftovers in their roster.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course! Anyway I think its going to be hard to deal with Vegas. They are going to get lots of offers but in the end they dont need 14 third round picks and a bunch of leftovers in their roster.

Why? Their roster is going to be a bunch of leftovers regardless. They'd be better off having 0 players, forfeiting every game, and getting as many picks as possible.

Adding a bunch of picks can help them turn into Toronto sooner rather than later.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe after 2-3 years if they play their cards right.

I would definitely try to get as many picks as possible and pick up some vets in the ED. Try to trade up in the entry-draft and see if they can get 2-3 first rounders.

The Pacific is not the worst division, but I guess they will fall a bit short. Smartest thing for them would be to aim at the bottom and hope for some lottery Luck.

Why?

Who do you think they are going to draft that is going to make them a playoff team?

I think their line up will be comprised of players that are fixtures on current NHL teams. They most likely won't have any superstars (unless traded for), but will have a forward roster filled with at least 6th through 9th guys, with a possibility of maybe 1 or 2 5ths. The blue line could be tricky, but they'll have solid goaltending. A team can easily compete with a roster selected of all solid players, especially if coached right. My guess is they'll be a grinding team that scores dirty goals. The blue line might hurt them, but the team will compete.

I think their line up will be comprised of players that are fixtures on current NHL teams. They most likely won't have any superstars (unless traded for), but will have a forward roster filled with at least 6th through 9th guys, with a possibility of maybe 1 or 2 5ths. The blue line could be tricky, but they'll have solid goaltending. A team can easily compete with a roster selected of all solid players, especially if coached right. My guess is they'll be a grinding team that scores dirty goals. The blue line might hurt them, but the team will compete.

I mean, we're worried about losing Jesper Fast. He's fine but if each team is losing their version of Jesper Fast, Vegas will finish dead last.

I mean, we're worried about losing Jesper Fast. He's fine but if each team is losing their version of Jesper Fast, Vegas will finish dead last.

Please don't include me on the popular opinions here by using "we". Lol

Each team is not losing their version of Jesper Fast. Some are at risk of losing top-six talent and top-four defensemen. Anaheim, Nashville, Minnesota, and Florida are all losing serious players.

Vegas should go after valuable assets. RHD, younger players that can then be flipped for more assets such as draft picks. Build up from the farm. Suck for a few years when you're expected to, accumulate prospects and build a legitimate franchise. If they go "win now" or "immediate success", this team is going to suck for a long time.

Vegas should go after valuable assets. RHD, younger players that can then be flipped for more assets such as draft picks. Build up from the farm. Suck for a few years when you're expected to, accumulate prospects and build a legitimate franchise. If they go "win now" or "immediate success", this team is going to suck for a long time.

Exactly. They will be an even suckier version of the Rangers lol. Build from the bottom, aim for last place and 1st overall and take it from there. The problem would be if they do this, players like Lindberg/Fast would be perfect. It will be hard to try and make them take Klein/Holden, especially when we dont have a 2nd rounder. If Im Vegas I would rather have Fast then Klein + a 3rd.

Exactly. They will be an even suckier version of the Rangers lol. Build from the bottom, aim for last place and 1st overall and take it from there. The problem would be if they do this, players like Lindberg/Fast would be perfect. It will be hard to try and make them take Klein/Holden, especially when we dont have a 2nd rounder. If Im Vegas I would rather have Fast then Klein + a 3rd.

Take Grabner, flip him at the trade deadline. He would end up as a first liner, probably putting up good numbers if not similar to what he did this year. Look at what Phoenix got for Hanzal. They could get a lighter, but still good haul for a speedy scorer like Grabner. That's why I think we'll be okay.

We don't have a 3rd either..

*If Smith doesn't get a reasonable extension, what a terrible fucking trade that was. 3rd this year, 2nd next..

The NHL has announced that they will put a hold on any waivers, trades or signings from June 17th at 2pm to June 22 at 7am (all times CDT). That would encompass the entire window that the Vegas Golden Knights have to select their expansion roster. Team?s protection lists must be submitted by 4pm on June 17th, while the team will be announced at the NHL Awards Ceremony on June 21st.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/06/announces-transaction-expansion.html

Heard a rumor (emphasis on rumor) that the Rangers were talking to Vegas about trading their first to Vegas if they take one of Staal/Girardi. I didn't realize that it was also mentioned in the NHL section that "an unnamed team" was thinking about doing this. I think that unnamed team is NYR.

Thoughts? I don't love it.

Heard a rumor (emphasis on rumor) that the Rangers were talking to Vegas about trading their first to Vegas if they take one of Staal/Girardi. I didn't realize that it was also mentioned in the NHL section that "an unnamed team" was thinking about doing this. I think that unnamed team is NYR.

They both have nmc, so how would that work?

From?

I'm fine dealing a first-rounder to VGK if they take Staal (then buyout G), but we don't deal in hearsay.

They both have nmc, so how would that work?

One would have to waive it to accept the deal.

How about this? This best represents my thinking.

1. Trade Vegas a 3rd rounder to not choose Fast, Lindberg or Grabner.

or

2. Trade Vegas a 2nd to not choose Fast, Lindberg, Grabner or Raanta.

or

3. Trade Vegas our 1st and they select Girardi who agrees to waive his NMC.

I would love to make one of these trades.

Source of rumor could be from my post exactly two months ago on the Fast thread. (above)

I also suggested this idea in January on another board.

Vegas selects G (waives NMC) and gets our 21st pick in the draft.

We keep all our forwards and Raanta. Shed a slow, old, 5.5 mil cap hit for 3 years. They get a guy coming off a good playoff showing, probable leader and valued stay-at-home shotblocker. McPhee already said last week that he wants to load up on picks in this and the next draft. We have an immediate mid first to offer.

Mikey, G's NMC becomes modified in July. So mgmt tells him we are moving in a new direction and he will be traded, regardless. Even if he isn't traded, he'd be relegated to the press box as injury insurance, which I doubt he wants. Talking Staal into waiving is a different story and much less realistic.

Phil, the buyout option blows for either G or Staal. The Ranger's need a major overhaul on the blueline. Speed, mobility, and surer exits of the D zone needs to be the focus. Staal (with his salary and age) should go too. He won't waive for Vegas, even if told his role will be seriously diminished. However, joining his brother in Minny seems reasonable. I think Minny still likes Steppan too. They also may want a goalie and to recoup one of the many high picks they traded.

Step

Staal (1.25 mil retained)

Raanta or 2018 2nd or D prospect like Zborovskiy or improved prospect Ryan Gropp (Wild can choose 2 from this line, or maybe there is another prospect they like)

Rangers get back:

RHD Dumba or underrated RHD Spurgeon (Minn's choice)

C Coyle or Mikael Granlund (if Minny prefers)

Dumba's making 2.5 and due big RFA raise in 2018, Spurgeon is 5.2 for the next 3 years.

Coyle is 3.2 for 3 years and Granlund is a RFA due a big raise from 3 mil.

If the Wild refuse to part with Coyle or Granlund, then RFA right shot Neiderreiter or maybe Haula or even Jason Zucker (even though he is a LW) would still be attractive options. The key is being able to pair the speedy Spurgeon or the young Dumba with McD.

I should add, if our first pick to Vegas to select G doesn't materialize, I'd still offer Vegas our 2nd in 2018 to not select a forward from our roster. We can not lose Oscar or Jasper. Grabner fits great here and we could really use him, his speed, his D on that salary again this year, too.

I would not trade Oscar or Jasper for a 2nd, so I fear Vegas might see it the same way and prefer to select our young but established center.

So... I'm all in sending G and our first. Makes too much sense. Then make the big trade with the Wild. Then resign Smith completing top 4. Trade Holden and probably Klein for mid round picks. Let the 3rd pair come from Graves, Kampfer, Pionk and Bereglazov (and maybe bring in someone). Now the D looks and plays drastically different. Guys who can score, are quick to the puck, can pass or skate it out. Sidenote prediction: Kampfer wins 3rd pair RHD and is surprisingly solid.

Archived