• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Cincinnati Gorilla Incident

Phil

She actually said shooting him was the right call though. I don't think she is being objective here, and your not going to get anyone better at discussing a silverbacks actions better than her.

She said he was protecting him and that shooting him was right? If that's the case, then yea, she is being objective. I'm just saying that someone who lived with chimpanzees in the jungle for 50 years is probably going to have a much more trusting opinion of gorillas than...basically everybody.

It'd be the same thing as that guy who got mauled by bears after living with them. He was so biased by his own lifestyle that there's no way you could expect him to think that a bear would kill him...until they did

I was surprised how many people on facebook suddenly earned a PhD in Zoology when this happened.

like the people that become lawyers and experts in criminology whenever there's an incident involving police lol.

She said he was protecting him and that shooting him was right? If that's the case, then yea, she is being objective. I'm just saying that someone who lived with chimpanzees in the jungle for 50 years is probably going to have a much more trusting opinion of gorillas than...basically everybody.

It'd be the same thing as that guy who got mauled by bears after living with them. He was so biased by his own lifestyle that there's no way you could expect him to think that a bear would kill him...until they did

This doesn't make sense. How is it being objective to say that the gorilla was protecting him, but shooting him was the right decision? If she was being objective she would have said that there was no reason to shoot him because he was protecting him. Instead, she said that the gorilla was protecting him, but shooting him was the right decision to make because the gorilla still could have killed the boy. She knew a tranquilizer wouldn't have worked in this situation and all they could do to save the kid was shoot him. Thats far from being objective.

This doesn't make sense. How is it being objective to say that the gorilla was protecting him, but shooting him was the right decision? If she was being objective she would have said that there was no reason to shoot him because he was protecting him. Instead, she said that the gorilla was protecting him, but shooting him was the right decision to make because the gorilla still could have killed the boy. She knew a tranquilizer wouldn't have worked in this situation and all they could do to save the kid was shoot him. Thats far from being objective.

...it's objective because she recognizes that she might not be right, and the gorilla might put the kid in danger.

...it's objective because she recognizes that she might not be right, and the gorilla might put the kid in danger.

I don't understand what you mean that she recognizes she might not be right? She isn't saying that gorillas are calm tame animals. I think everyone kind of know that the kid was in danger, regardless of the gorilla trying to protect him. The shear strength of the gorilla alone, even if he is trying to protect him, could hurt the kid. Gorilla's can fling their young without them getting injured, a human child can't do that.

Archived