• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Quentin Tarantino's 'The Hateful Eight'

rvbcaboose

• 4 months later...
70mm theaters announced. Bunch in NYC and in Farmingdale for you LIers. Very happy its in Farmingdale Multiplex since its like 5 minutes from my house.

tickets.thehatefuleight.com/showtimes

Can't wait. We're gonna go to the 70mm roadshow in Farmingdale. So happy they're having one in Long Island.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the Hateful Eight last night. Thought it was excellent. Like most Tarantino films the storyline and acting was excellent and the dialogue was top notch. It was over 3 hours long but for me it wasn't that bad because of the storyline and the intermission. The intermission was good IMO because it gave me a chance to take a little breather and analyze the first half of the movie. Because everything was in the snow and more than half of the movie was shot in one room, I don't think you can appreciate the 70mm shooting as much as Ben Hur or the 10 Commandments where the landscaping was such a huge and beautiful part of those movies. But overall that didn't take anything away from the Hateful Eight.

Academy award nominations should go to Samuel Jackson, Walter Goggins, Jennifer Jason Liegh, and Tarantino for his screen play and directing.

The only question I have is

was Walter Goggins working with Samuel Jackson all along or did they decide to work together after they found out that Jennifer Leigh's character had her gang come and get her?

That's the only thing that wasn't clear to me. The movie overall was excellent and I would see it again and again. My wife usually hates Tarantino movies but to my surprise she liked this one.

I like Tarantino, but there's 0 shot I go to see a movie that has a freaking intermission in it.

Also, Walton* lol

The movie was really good. And the intermission actually worked well for the 70mm roadshow version of the film. The non 70mm version which is coming out on Jan. 1st doesn't have an intermission or overture.

The intermission was totally necessary and also came at a good time. I loved it, though I'm anxious to see the digital cut as scenes are worked around, no overture as mentioned, etc.

I think the 70mm filming was cool, but slightly wasted. It works best when setting landscapes, and westerns are particularly great for super wide shots as there's so much vast nothingness you can use as statements pieces.

This was my favorite Tarantino movie since pulp fiction. It's not for everyone, but I really liked it.

I really liked it too. It definitely will work best if you know next to nothing about the story. I also think the 70mm difference will be seen as a less of a waste once the digital version comes out to compare. The film difference provides more than just a bigger shooting space. It adds so much more detail as well. So despite the indoor setting theres still so much detail that came through in the bigger format.

Archived