• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Number Parking Space is the Car In?

Pete

It's logic, not math. It's turning your head upside down and counting. Counting ain't math.

Actually, maybe it is, since you're adding 1 to the previous number.

Again, part of the trick, of the logic, is the implication that it's mathematical. Most people will read it exactly as their brains are designed to — 16, 06, 68, 88, ?, 98. You then try to figure out, mathematically, what the hell the correlation between these numbers is.

If/when the trick kicks in, logically you realize "ah, this isn't a math problem..."

It's a perspective problem!

Logic is a subset of math IMHO, and Phil hit the nail on the head. People try to figure out if there is some sort of mathematical (numerical) sequence between the parking space numbers but there aren't and then most people figure out its the perspective.

Again, part of the trick, of the logic, is the implication that it's mathematical. Most people will read it exactly as their brains are designed to — 16, 06, 68, 88, ?, 98. You then try to figure out, mathematically, what the hell the correlation between these numbers is.

If/when the trick kicks in, logically you realize "ah, this isn't a math problem..."

It's a perspective problem!

The problem itself - the thing you need to figure out - isn't math though. And your lack of mathematical prowess shouldn't have hindered your ability to solve this other than the fact that the second you see "math," you shut down and give it the finger.

It's not a math problem, it's a YOU problem!

Not trying to hijack this thread but here is another "number" brainteaser that most Kindergarten children get, but adults find impossible to solve:

3,3,5,4,4,3,5,5,4, __, __, __

3, 6, 6

This one is annoying.

I guess it's because kids just learned their numbers/words and they still think of numbers as "words?"

The problem itself - the thing you need to figure out - isn't math though. And your lack of mathematical prowess shouldn't have hindered your ability to solve this other than the fact that the second you see "math," you shut down and give it the finger.

It's not a math problem, it's a YOU problem!

I've thoroughly explained it. I'm aware it's not actually a math problem. The point is that it's designed to appear as one as part of the trick.

But you got it dead on the mark with the line about me shutting down and giving it the finger. Except in this case "the finger" was more "I'm gonna Google this...", followed by "CleverGirl.gif"

Because math.

this isn't even math though. this isn't the same as addition, subtraction, multiplication, etc...

this is just fucking numbers and people see numbers and freak out.

edit - i must have had this thread open a while and didn't see all of the other replies...

This one is annoying.

I guess it's because kids just learned their numbers/words and they still think of numbers as "words?"

yeah, the constant repetition of numbers throws people off too because its a number then 2 of the same etc etc. A lot of these brain teasers are obviously easier for children because a simpler mindset helps you.

Archived