• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

When Did Jerseys Become "Sweaters?"

phillyb

like actual sweaters?

and then they changed the way they made em? and then were jerseys? and now we're just calling them sweaters?

when i was growing up, i always called em jerseys c. mid 90's...

was i wrong to call them jerseys then?

They have always been called sweaters because the original jerseys were sweaters. And a Toque is a hat, like the goaltenders were wearing in yesterdays game over the top of their helmets.

yeah, to me that's a fucking hat. a knit hat. with a cute little pompom on top.

never heard the term toque until i heard kathryn tappen say that shit repeatedly and then had to look it up.

yeah, to me that's a fucking hat. a knit hat. with a cute little pompom on top.

never heard the term toque until i heard kathryn tappen say that shit repeatedly and then had to look it up.

You prefer the term 'beanie' instead? :p

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/ap/a/a091046.jpg

Here's the Ottawa Silver Seven for example. See, they're wearing sweaters. Those were their jerseys.

Interesting, the goalies back then wore the exact same pads that batsmen in cricket wear today basically hah.

You prefer the term 'beanie' instead? :p

well...

i just prefer HAT. lol. if you're showing a picture of it, there's no need to use a term that's apparently primarily "canadian" according to the wiki article for toque (yes, great resource. lol).

i hadn't heard the term until this year.

Toque is a predominantly Canadian slang for "beanie", or "hat". General rule of thumb is that if the hat folds over at the rim, and has that little dangly ball thing at the top, it's a toque. If it doesn't, it's a "beanie" — at least in the U.S.

Also, as has been pointed out here already, when the NHL was in it's infancy, players wore actual sweaters on the ice that were embroidered with team logos and numbers. Sweaters actually became jerseys, actual jersey-material, later on at some point. This is why some folks get irked when old timers still refer to jerseys as sweaters.

I used to have an awesome replica sweater Rangers jersey, I dont know what happened to it, I have to find it.

The NHL store in the city used to have a few vintage style Ranger sweaters that were either cotton or wool. Looked pretty nice, but was pricey.

Found a photo. They looked like this:

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ml7S-xlt4jZZpQda3OKj9nA.jpg

The NHL store in the city used to have a few vintage style Ranger sweaters that were either cotton or wool. Looked pretty nice, but was pricey.

Found a photo. They looked like this:

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ml7S-xlt4jZZpQda3OKj9nA.jpg

I forget if mine was like this or I it had the shield on it. I have to tear apart my attic and check my bins of cloths up there.

Archived