• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Robert Downey Jr. to Return as Iron Man for Two More 'Avengers' Movies

Phil

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/06/20/robert-downey-jr-to-return-as-iron-man-for-two-avengers-movies/

Robert Downey Jr. has reached a two-picture deal with Marvel Studios to appear in The Avengers 2 and The Avengers 3 ? but notably not for a possible Iron Man 4.

The news was confirmed by Marvel, which declined to offer specifics on the nature of the deal.

Writer-director Joss Whedon is already at work on The Avengers 2 script, with plans to begin shooting in March 2014 with a debut in theaters set for May 1, 2015.

A date for The Avengers 3 hasn?t been set, but parent company Disney has already announced May 6, 2016, and May 5, 2017, as target dates for future, unspecified movies from Marvel?s as-yet-undetermined Phase 3 lineup.

I think it's a smart move for him, and for Marvel for that matter. He gets to keep the awesome character role, but the Iron Man movies have kind of run their course. Realistically it was never going to go to 4 or 5 films, despite the wide breadth of villains they could choose from. Iron Man 3 was, at least in my opinion, the worst of the three, even though it was still a solid movie. But they're only going to go downhill.

It doesn't make sense to make more Iron Man movies, and even if it did, it doesn't make sense to try and get a new actor to play Iron Man with how beloved RDJ was in the role. But they still get to have him around for the Avengers, and meanwhile Thor/Captain America/possibly The Hulk can play catchup with their films. Thor and Captain America have only had 1 to Iron Man's 3. Though I seem to remember them saying they weren't going to do another Hulk movie.

Anyway, yeah, I think it's the right call. I was kind of hoping that with a revamped Superman franchise that DC was going to go kind of the same route and do a Justice League movie, but somehow I just don't see it happening. Having Christian Bale in the mix for a Justice League movie would be awesome. They'd have to do a lot more character development like Marvel did with the Avengers though. Like, we'd need to have a Wonder Woman movie, which I'm not opposed to. What I dread to see is an Aquaman movie. *shudder*

Well Ed Norton was by far the best Hulk. I don't like Mark Rufalo in that role, at all. But Norton was too hard to work with, apparently, leaving me not really caring if they do any more Hulk movies.

Also think it's a bit dumb that Captain America is also Human Torch LOL.

Well Ed Norton was by far the best Hulk. I don't like Mark Rufalo in that role, at all. But Norton was too hard to work with, apparently, leaving me not really caring if they do any more Hulk movies.

I believe that they're rebooting the F4 franchise.

Edward Norton was the best Hulk - and the way Marvel lost him was AWFUL. They chopped the Hulk movie down for theaters by over 45 minutes and Norton, who is a HUGE fan of the Hulk, backed out of all promotional events because the stuff they chopped was significant.

Just don't like that actor in the first place.

Archived