• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Game of Thrones/ASOIAF Sub-Forum

Phil

Here's how it works:

The forum is password protected. This allows that all registered users (standard users) will have to punch in the password to the forum to even view the content, and as such have it available to them, including in the What's New feature. I can confirm that Tapatalk also requires the PW to view the content and does not display spoiler-related information to the user until you actually view the forum thread list (after giving it the PW to be let in in the first place). I would imagine ForumRunner acts int he same manner, though I would appreciate it if someone who has read books could confirm this for me as well.

There's a kicker here, though ? Staff are not required to punch in the password, so a strict restriction on thread titles will be going into place. Titles like 'Game of Thrones (Spoiler) Television Show Discussion', 'A Dance With Dragons (Spoiler) Discussion', etc. Every single title in it would have to have to not only be generic, but also contain the word spoiler, this way when non-book reading Staff are viewing the What's New content, while they will still see the threads listed, there is no way for them to actually have the information spoiled for them unless they click it.

This change is going into place based on the fact that groups are unavailable to mobile viewers, and we simply cannot allow for a basic spoiler-friendly thread due to both ForumRunner and Tapatalk's inability to respect our SPOILER tag (or any SPOILER tag for that matter).

So, if you choose to view the new forum, in it you can discuss any spoiler-related information regarding Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire, sans one caveat:

Any and all discussion absolutely must take place within one of the threads you see here now, and any possible new threads or discussions that are specific to a story line or a character you will need to run by me first so we can determine the best course of action for posting that information with an appropriate and generic thread title. For example, and obviously this isn't a spoiler, but a thread title like "Ned Starks Death" would be wildly inappropriate when applied to future events that have yet to air on the show.

Valar Morghulis.

Groups WERE the compromise that worked. People just didn't want to use them.

And, for the record, this "solution" still doesn't work for admins, I see all these threads in tapatalk regardless of the password. I have to go in and manually mark them all "read" so I don't see spoilers.

All because people 1. Couldn't follow a really simple rule and 2. Use a really simple feature of the forum.

And, for the record, this "solution" still doesn't work for admins, I see all these threads in tapatalk regardless of the password. I have to go in and manually mark them all "read" so I don't see spoilers.

All because people 1. Couldn't follow a really simple rule and 2. Use a really simple feature of the forum.

I agree, amazing that this was even needed. Feel bad for ppl who hasn't read the books.

doesnt work for me. Keep asking for password and I know I am putting the right one in because I tried about 10 times.

No spaces. Are you absolutely certain you are typing it correctly? Capital V and M as well.

ValarMorghulis

Groups are not an answer because they are not available to mobile users.

This is only most painful for you because you are an Admin, so you have to see the content. It's why I've put in the restriction on thread titles. This keeps any information from being spoiled for you.

I can't help but disagree. The groups feature is like the beaten stepchild of the forum feature. It's like buying an Xbox 360 and finding out that it's got Commodore 64 guts.

Groups are not an answer because they are not available to mobile users.

This is only most painful for you because you are an Admin, so you have to see the content. It's why I've put in the restriction on thread titles. This keeps any information from being spoiled for you.

This is not true. It's available from browsers. Bookmark the group, access it via browser, problem solved.

But that was inconvenient, so you had to jump through hoops because people are lazy.

I can't help but disagree. The groups feature is like the beaten stepchild of the forum feature. It's like buying an Xbox 360 and finding out that it's got Commodore 64 guts.

That's pretty much nonsense. All a group is is a mini-forum, it works exactly the same way every other section works. People are just lazy. End of story.

This is not true. It's available from browsers. Bookmark the group, access it via browser, problem solved.

But that was inconvenient, so you had to jump through hoops because people are lazy.

I also have to serve the highest common denominator. You, right now, are the only complete loophole, which is why I forced the rule in place for the thread titles.

However, if you are also saying you still see the preview text regardless, it might be wise to count the characters and implement what Dave suggested by filling every post/reply with a series of X's to start every post.

So:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla a felis suscipit, volutpat ipsum quis, congue enim. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Morbi neque leo, iaculis sed ullamcorper et, varius in elit. Pellentesque in suscipit diam, sit amet aliquet ligula.

I also have to serve the highest common denominator. You, right now, are the only complete loophole, which is why I forced the rule in place for the thread titles.

However, if you are also saying you still see the preview text regardless, it might be wise to count the characters and implement what Dave suggested by filling every post/reply with a series of X's to start every post.

So:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla a felis suscipit, volutpat ipsum quis, congue enim. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Morbi neque leo, iaculis sed ullamcorper et, varius in elit. Pellentesque in suscipit diam, sit amet aliquet ligula.

Correct, and I was willing to make that compromise, but H-Dreamer incorrectly assumed it worked for everyone. I just felt like pointing out that it really doesn't, and as far as Tapatalk goes, it's basically useless, because I can still read the preview of posts. But since it's JUST me, I'm not going to make a big deal about it, nor am I going to make other people go out of their way to insert X's at the beginning. People didn't want to move their thumbs a few extra times to access the groups via mobile browser, so I'm sure typing the X's is also too much to ask. :D

/snarkiness.

Correct, and I was willing to make that compromise, but H-Dreamer incorrectly assumed it worked for everyone. I just felt like pointing out that it really doesn't, and as far as Tapatalk goes, it's basically useless, because I can still read the preview of posts. But since it's JUST me, I'm not going to make a big deal about it, nor am I going to make other people go out of their way to insert X's at the beginning. People didn't want to move their thumbs a few extra times to access the groups via mobile browser, so I'm sure typing the X's is also too much to ask. :D

/snarkiness.

"Typing" the X's is as easy as copy/paste if you're viewing on the web, or double-tapping and copying/pasting on iOS, for example.

Archived