• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Random Access Memories

Saucy Mitts

This album is quite different from the best known work, but it's kinda like a sexier version of Discover.

I'm really enjoying it, especially the Giorgio track and obviously Get Lucky.

This album should NEVER be compared to Discovery. :p

Dont feel like this is a Daft Punk album, its more like an album produced by Daft Punk(I know its a collaboration). That being said I like it but I am not in love with it. I was hoping Discovery II but this album was produced very well and the tracks are good just lacking energy.

After listening start to finish twice now, here are my thoughts.

This is, first and foremost, Daft Punk's most complete album. Before the rage faces attack, I didn't say best (though I'm not sure where I stand on that one yet) but it is for sure their most complete. Every track has a purpose and they all come together really well to paint a sonic picture. I think it's best listened to as one long track that keeps flowing, rather than individual songs.

There is no harder, faster, stronger or one more time jump out tracks, get lucky really isn't close IMO, but there is a level of consistency that I don't think they've ever achieved prior to this album.

For the record, I really like funk music (good funk that is) and that might make me slightly jaded, as this album puts together a lot of funk influenced musical concepts (people keep calling it disco, but I don't agree. Disco to me is watered down funk or soft funk, and this is just funk inspired electronica. I hate getting overly technical with genre's but in this instance I think it's necessary).

I cannot agree with that, Im not saying the album sucks but even for daft punk there are some tracks that just annoy or bore me.

The Giorgio track, I'm sorry, I dont want a spoken word intro for over 2:00 and then a song that is the same bar over and over for another 7 minutes.

I love the beat of "Lose yourself to dance" but again the entire track is the same bar over and over.

Same thing for "Get Lucky"

For me the tracks that save this album are Give life back to music, Instant Crush, Beyond and Fragments of time

I am sad that we didnt get Discovery 2.0 but I can live with RAM.

This album should NEVER be compared to Discovery. :p

Agreed totally. This album is straight up shit compared to Discovery and it isn't even close. Dunno what Jules is toking. I can see that they were giving a nod to the funkadelic era of music, and that's fine, but insert more of your identity into that shit. As a DP album, it's absolute shit and I hate it completely.

Good Songs:

Give Life Back to Music (Good groove, but lacks punch. Great to hear the robots. It's funk through-and-through, but it's definitely missing that electro sound.)

Doin' it Right (Peobably the best song on the album, despite the collab. This is some fucking DP. Love this song. Repetitive, yes, but shit comes together at about the 1:00 mark when Panda Bear arrives. Hits the right notes. It could be better, but it feels the most DP to me, which is what this album is missing.)

Contact (Big beats, big sounds. Finally, some fucking Daft Punk. Where the fuck were these guys the rest of the album? Don't like the live drums. Needs to be more robotic. But a great track, nevertheless.)

Get Funky (Genuinely enjoy this song. Probably why they chose it as a single. Pharrell redeems himself. The true magic comes when the robots chime in.)

Instant Crush (Not a great song, but it's okay. Compared to the rest of the trash on this album, it's top 5.)

Eh Songs:

Giorgio (Might be decent, but the 2 minutes of exposition can SMD. Totally ruins the fucking song. It goes from early funk to video game music on a nail. Totally fucked up track.)

Lose Yourself to Dance (Just average. Even Pharrell can't save this song. The robots can't make anything of this tired-ass shit when P is repeating the same 4 words over and over. And DP has a knack for repeating 4 words over and over.)

Motherboard (Eh.)

Awful Songs:

The Game of Love (Fucking horrible. Absolutely horrible. Useful, however, if you need a song to bang your lady to. I truly hate this song.)

Touch (Garbage. Absolute garbage. Fucking Barry Manilow in Vegas shit.)

Beyond (Robots can't save this boring-ass song. I get nothing out of this.)

Fragments of Time (Garbage. Robots could redeem this if they replace Todd Edwards, but as it stands? Straight up bad.)

Within (GTFO.)

Yeah I completely disagree with the assessments, but who was comparing it to discover? They sample some similar sounds but they are different albums with different points of view.

If you expected this to just be discover all over again, I don't know what to tell you.

I think you have to be open minded with new albums from established artists, as they want to expand and experiment.

That might be true for traditional bands, but it's not true for electronic bands such as DP. EVERYONE goes in with expectations in a certain direction with this band, and it's okay to collab... but when you're putting songs like Touch on your first album in 2-3 years? Get the fuck out of here. They have to know that it will be fucking panned. And rightfully so, because it's straight up trash. Might be a good song on its own, but not in the genre and of the band who is producing it.

That might be true for traditional bands, but it's not true for electronic bands such as DP. EVERYONE goes in with expectations in a certain direction with this band, and it's okay to collab... but when you're putting songs like Touch on your first album in 2-3 years? Get the fuck out of here. They have to know that it will be fucking panned. And rightfully so, because it's straight up trash. Might be a good song on its own, but not in the genre and of the band who is producing it.

Yeah I really love touch.

I think beyond might be the track that I listen to the most. I really like the album overall and I like the change of pace they took. I remember them saying that they wanted to go to a more organic sound because with the way technology is, all music is sounding more and more electronic and mechanized, so they wanted to *cough* give some life back to the music.

When you listen to the other albums in conjunction, it provides a nice mix of moods and scapes.

Archived