• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Staten Island To Build World's Highest Ferris Wheel

Jules

This is a wonderful idea and I'm excited to see this happen soon. It will be called the New York Wheel and the facts, stats and artist impressions seem nothing but stunning. It will be located right next to the ballpark for the Staten Island Yankees.

• 630-feet high
  • 38 minute ride
  • estimated opening date New Year's Eve 2015
  • estimated cost per ride $20-30
  • Wheel Terminal Building will host NYC city museum
  • aiming for Platinum LEED certification as highly sustainable building
  • builder is the Starneth Company from The Netherlands
  • 150 temporary and 300 permanent jobs will be created

Okay, that's that. Now onto the impressions of how awesome this will look! :)

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/4343/rsznywimg7.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/8219/rsznywimg2.jpg

Interested and want to know more? There's now NewYorkWheel.com. Spread the word!

Thats pretty cool. but 38 minutes? 30 dollars? sounds a little excessive. how many times does the damn thing go around in 38 minutes!?!?

Once. :) It moves at a slow pace of 10 inches per second, which gives visitors a chance to step into the carriages without the wheel ever stopping, unless there is some with a disability, for whom they make a few cabins with bigger doors and a different floor.

I don't think $20-30 for a long ride like that is too much. It's similar in price to visiting the Rockefeller or Empire State Building, but this is an actual ride and will provide a very different experience that will feel very open and unique.

Once. :) It moves at a slow pace of 10 inches per second, which gives visitors a chance to step into the carriages without the wheel ever stopping, unless there is some with a disability, for whom they make a few cabins with bigger doors and a different floor.

I don't think $20-30 for a long ride like that is too much. It's similar in price to visiting the Rockefeller or Empire State Building, but this is an actual ride and will provide a very different experience that will feel very open and unique.

No the price isnt bad. But 38 minutes is a serious commitment. I wonder if they couldnt even cut it to 37 minutes without scrapping the idea of having it continuously moving. Or they would have to make it smaller which they probably didn't want to do either. What a really cool project though I love stuff like this.

If the gameplay remains as intuitive and fun as it was, that looks really awesome! :D

It is. The reviews have been great. Seems like they really kept everything good and just updated it. It's an online game now but you only have to have an active connection when you log on. Then it syncs the cities and you're on your way. So you have multiple cities from multiple players in one region and it keeps them synced but not during play. Sounds awesome to me.

No the price isnt bad. But 38 minutes is a serious commitment. I wonder if they couldnt even cut it to 37 minutes without scrapping the idea of having it continuously moving. Or they would have to make it smaller which they probably didn't want to do either. What a really cool project though I love stuff like this.

I don't think 38 minutes is bad either. It will be value for money and the trip for tourists to take the Staten Island Ferry will be even more worth it and they will stay longer than they do now, which will increase local business. The company looking to operate this have stated that implementing local business in the project is important to them.

I hate heights, so I won't be going on this, but it is a decent idea. I don't know if Staten Island is the bet spot for it though. I would say Brooklyn or Manhattan would have been better choices, Staten Island is a pain in the ass to get to.

Staten Island needs it more. Right now we're only known for trash and... that's basically it.

The london eye goes around in pretty much the same amount of time and costs around the same amount as this is expected to. However there are about a thousand different prices depending on what time you go and with how many people

Looked it up. That one in London is 443 feet / 30 minutes versus 625ft / 38 minutes. So the one in Staten Island will be 41 % taller and 11% slower moving if my math is correct, which I think it is. Interesting considering what I was saying before. The London Eye does not stop to pick up passengers either, so they could have easily made the Staten Island ride a few minutes shorter, especially considering two wheels larger than the London Eye, one in Singapore and one in China, still both take 30 minutes and dont stop. But I bet their regulations are less strict too.

Another awesome thing I read... they changed the direction of the one in Singapore as per advice of Feng shui masters.

Good time to buy an apartment in St George. When this thing is done (and it looks as if they're adding a major mall complex and a huge park as well), I can see St George being the next Astoria or DT BK - 20 minutes from downtown Manhattan, tons of shopping/living/etc....

Actually, from that particular part of SI, you'll be able to see all of downtown Manhattan, plus the three bridges. It'll be a spectacular view.

I have no doubt that the view will be beautiful, but getting to it is the pain in the ass. There is no public transportation to get to it, except maybe the ferry, not sure how far it is from the ferry terminal. But someone visiting would need to rent a car to get there and then pay a toll to get there.

I have no doubt that the view will be beautiful, but getting to it is the pain in the ass. There is no public transportation to get to it, except maybe the ferry, not sure how far it is from the ferry terminal. But someone visiting would need to rent a car to get there and then pay a toll to get there.

It's not far from the ferry. It's a nice walk down the waterfront.

It's for people who are tourists getting there from Manhattan. That's the main draw and the ferry makes that incredibly easy.

Archived