• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire John Davidson, Jeff Gorton; Drury Named President & GM

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We want to thank JD and Jeff for their contributions to the organization. They are both great hockey professionals who worked hard for the Rangers, however, in order for the team to succeed in the manner our fans deserve, there needs to be a change in leadership," said James L. Dolan, executive chairman, MSG Sports. "Chris is a very sought-after executive and a strong leader, who has proven himself to be one of the top young minds in hockey. We are confident he will effectively guide the team to ensure the long-term success we promised Rangers fans."

Official announcement: https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/new-york-rangers-announce-management-changes/c-324377690?cmp=osc_nyr

Wow, Dolan sure ain't mincing his words, taking aim squarely at JD and Gorton's leadership.

Sather is back in the front office helping. Quinn will be fired . Dolan saw players getting hurt playing the islanders and the Wilson shit happens . No tuff guys on the Rangers was the last straw. Look for the Rangers to make a move to get Lucic and go for Ryan Reaves

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sather never left the front office helping. I wouldn't be so sure on Quinn just yet. Drury did a full-court press to help sign him in the first place. They likely see the game the same way.

Whats more amazing is that in that entire run down about Drury they didnt mention him winning little league once.

I know. But we've been reminded of it so much that as I was reading the statement, I was hearing it in my head in Sam's voice "Presenting the new President and GM of your New York Rangers, Chris Drury, and more notably the 1989 Little League World Series champion!"

Sucks to be in turmoil. Probably would have been ok with this massive shake up if in a normal season next year they underachieved again (Quinn axed too).

Oh well.

That's what makes it worse, let them fix the ship. If they cant then I get it but this was easily remedied in the grand scheme of things and the team was still moving in the right direction.

I know. But we've been reminded of it so much that as I was reading the statement, I was hearing it in my head in Sam's voice "Presenting the new President and GM of your New York Rangers, Chris Drury, and more notably the 1989 Little League World Series champion!"

as i was reading i was waiting for it to pop up lol

I think there's an element to this that Lafreniere fundamentally changed, too. That lottery ball bouncing our way 100% changed Gorton's outlook, but did not change Dolan's.

But yeah, when you lay it out like that....

I thought there would be changes this offseason - but to the roster. I'm now worried that we're going to see an overcorrection demand from Dolan and/or the new team President, and Drury's going to be in the middle of it.

I’d think that IF it weren’t Drury here. He’s been in the system since 15 or 16 on a basic apprenticeship. Grand scheme of things that’s a good amount of time getting your feet wet. Plus he’s already on the team so it’s not like he’s familiarizing himself with a new roster. Maybe he’s in a philosophy (I hope) that says we really aren’t that far away. Zero reason why our Gm and president have been regurgitating for 3 straight years how far away we are regardless of adding more and more each year. You don’t say that for three straight years. It almost felt like they were scared to possibly admit it’s time to compete because it put a clock on their jobs. Especially this past offseason when we went into the pause one of the hottest teams. Should have made our GM take stock in what we actually have. Retaining Kreider made it seem like they did but apparently not. You can believe it but at some point with this roster it should have been said “yeah, this roster on paper should be a playoff team but we just need x and y.” We are stacked with talent. We lack veterans, faceoffs, and toughness. Two of those three should have been addressed and instead we brought in Bitetto, Rooney and Jack Johnson. Those moves were clearly intended to just be stop gaps and not actually address needs.

The Wilson thing isn’t what made this firing happen. It just publicly showed how poorly our needs were addressed.

Sather never left the front office helping. I wouldn't be so sure on Quinn just yet. Drury did a full-court press to help sign him in the first place. They likely see the game the same way.

Rick DPH bro who has evidently some type of relationship with Quinn stated that he expects Quinn to probably be fired. Evidently the only one that had any knowledge of this going down may have been Sather and possibly messier but that’s just me

He's not wrong.

If you think the Rangers underacheived this year, then Dolan agrees...Not really the team I'd want to be on.

Also can't believe we're still talking about ADA in this thread. JFC, let it go.

Regarding Drury, I think he's really good at what he does, but I also think he's kind of a pussy who will let Dolan push him around.

Any talk of Messier being near this team makes me vomit. This is the guy who traded Zubov, so that gives you a look at his "creds".

This was a dumb fucking move. Oh, and I fully expect Quinn to bee retained. I know for fact that Drury won't fire him. If he gets the boot, confirmed Drury in bitch mode.

So i guess Barnaby is banned from the Garden.

What does the President do anyway? He's not the GM so what is he? Bottom line is these guys have not done a good job. The TDA mess was a joke. The bipolar actions of signing a Panarin in the infancy of a rebuild is questionable. The drafting of Lias Andersson as NHL ready. The McD and Miller trade woof. Shattenkirk siigning and buyouts galore. This whole situation with Wilson is clearly incompetence to the worst degree and we are the verge of another embarrassment tonight. Messier laid out the case clearly enough.

So in my opinion I have no problem with either being fired, in fact I believe Gorton deserves the ax more than Quinn. Not sure about JD as I really never fully understood what his role is besides being a figure head. I'm uneasy as why they were fired and the timing though. Did Dolan can them for the reasons above or because he had a tantrum or because his expectations are out of whack? If so then I'm concerned. If it was because of a lack of an identity then in the end Dolan is right here. Gorton and JD might have "tried" to address their toughness this past offseason but bottom line it's been their failure going back longer than that. SO get ready for puck drop and feel better that the architects of the embarrassment awaiting us have already been removed from their jobs. Dolan probably should have waited until about 930 tonight to announce their firing. It would at least given us some satisfaction instead of confusion.