• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

why da eff CanAm tourney at lake placid so expensive? cost of hotel (and my share of the tourney fee, I guess) $1000.00

It's always been that way. Everyone complains, yet they still register. I guess it's the history. We've actually never been up there for a tournament.

• 1 month later...
So after two weekends of hockey now, I can safely say that the only thing that seemed to be accomplished with the icing call on the penalty kill is momentum being killed. If there were any extra scoring chances being generated by the offensive zone faceoff it was minimal. When a team tossed it down ice and tried to rush off the ice for a change while the other team pushed it forward it created just as much offense as this. At least at the PW level anyway.

So after two weekends of hockey now, I can safely say that the only thing that seemed to be accomplished with the icing call on the penalty kill is momentum being killed. If there were any extra scoring chances being generated by the offensive zone faceoff it was minimal. When a team tossed it down ice and tried to rush off the ice for a change while the other team pushed it forward it created just as much offense as this. At least at the PW level anyway.

The idea isn't to create scoring chances from the faceoffs. There are plenty of goals to be scored in youth hockey, especially at PW. The idea is to teach them NOT to ice it, and learn how to move the puck in small areas.

How many of those small area moves will be rewarded with positive gains instead of negative impact like a horrible giveaway? I don't think the risk meets the reward for trying to move the puck around instead of just shooting it down...especially with tired personnel out there.

Are you coaching your guys to try some short passes or hold the puck in the zone a little longer to try to make a play or are you telling them to get it out?

How many of those small area moves will be rewarded with positive gains instead of negative impact like a horrible giveaway? I don't think the risk meets the reward for trying to move the puck around instead of just shooting it down...especially with tired personnel out there.

Are you coaching your guys to try some short passes or hold the puck in the zone a little longer to try to make a play or are you telling them to get it out?

We're Midgets, the rule doesn't apply for us. However, we always spend the last 20-30 minutes playing small area games, and small area drills. If the guys have been out there for a while, sure, send it and get a change. Playing in small areas is huge for development at every level. All teams at every level should be working on it. If it's good enough for NHLers to work on, it should be incorporated into every youth coach's practice plan. I have 100 games/drills I could send you if you want them, just text me your email.

If your guys learn how to get the red and dump it while SH, they'll learn how to close out tight games at ES with ease.

Oh, I'm not talking about practicing and utilizing small area drills. We do it all the time too. I'm just suggesting that while short-handed, in the defensive zone, it might not be the best practice to try some of that stuff. The risk of the turnover isn't worth the reward of a possible breakout.

As Mike mentioned, this rule had little to do with the game. So don't worry about what you are seeing, (chances, no chances, etc).

It's all about long term development.

http://usahockeymagazine.com/article/2008-09/icing-rule-ready-heated-debate

Last season, the rule change was taken for a test drive as Massachusetts conducted a pilot program. Alaska will follow suit this year.....

I had the only team in Alaska doing this last year, (Bantam level), to my knowledge. I worked with Kenny Rousch from USA hockey on this.

This new rule is going to only reinforce teaching young players more skill in regards to area passes, movement away from the puck, etc.

And stop the "box" and contain mentality we've forced down these kids throats for so many years.

When the kids hit U16, it will take about 5 minutes to teach them how to ice the puck, and around 30 how to front a PP....but the difference is we will have a much more aggressive skilled player than before.

As Mike mentioned, this rule had little to do with the game. So don't worry about what you are seeing, (chances, no chances, etc).

It's all about long term development.

http://usahockeymagazine.com/article/2008-09/icing-rule-ready-heated-debate

I had the only team in Alaska doing this last year, (Bantam level), to my knowledge. I worked with Kenny Rousch from USA hockey on this.

This new rule is going to only reinforce teaching young players more skill in regards to area passes, movement away from the puck, etc.

And stop the "box" and contain mentality we've forced down these kids throats for so many years.

When the kids hit U16, it will take about 5 minutes to teach them how to ice the puck, and around 30 how to front a PP....but the difference is we will have a much more aggressive skilled player than before.

The Bruins have an aggressive pk with Bergeron and Marchand. The low guy will pressure the puck carrier on the wall, then the high guy jumps all over him.

• 5 months later...

How'd this get so buried? Where we at? Gotta be playoffs.

Proud Dad Alert!

My kid's not much of a player, though he's much better than he thinks, he doesn't quite understand the game fully at age nine as he enjoys playing but has other "interests".

Anyways, he got a bit of an eye opener as coaches started shortening bench lately (Tourny Finals/Playoffs). Jack didn't understand it until we explained it to him, how it's his own effort and compete level that gets him bumped sometimes, nobody to blame but himself and he wants different results he should listen to what his coaches, his dad and his grandpa are telling him and maybe clue the fuck in because the tools are there. (relative to his shitty competition).

After that incident he goes out and pumps two goals, Esposito style, in next game then last night he was double shifted in third period with the big guns and scores the sudden death OT Playoff winner. Amazing turn around and only because he chose to change his circumstances and not whine about it like every other parent/kid combo on the team would.

Sorry, but nobody at works wants to listen to me today lol

How'd this get so buried? Where we at? Gotta be playoffs.

Proud Dad Alert!

My kid's not much of a player, though he's much better than he thinks, he doesn't quite understand the game fully at age nine as he enjoys playing but has other "interests".

Anyways, he got a bit of an eye opener as coaches started shortening bench lately (Tourny Finals/Playoffs). Jack didn't understand it until we explained it to him, how it's his own effort and compete level that gets him bumped sometimes, nobody to blame but himself and he wants different results he should listen to what his coaches, his dad and his grandpa are telling him and maybe clue the fuck in because the tools are there. (relative to his shitty competition).

After that incident he goes out and pumps two goals, Esposito style, in next game then last night he was double shifted in third period with the big guns and scores the sudden death OT Playoff winner. Amazing turn around and only because he chose to change his circumstances and not whine about it like every other parent/kid combo on the team would.

Sorry, but nobody at works wants to listen to me today lol

Good job....

I can't believe they are shortening benches at age 9.

Good job....

I can't believe they are shortening benches at age 9.

That's probably why we don't lose to Slovenia. hahahaha

But seriously, it's even worse than you think. Jack just turned 9, the rest of the league is pretty much 7 and 8 year olds. And, it's fuckin house league!

I don't generally agree with it, my dad (whose coached every level of hockey out there, and is heavily invested in Jack's hockey) thinks it's insane, and my wife is a woman so obviously she thinks it's dumb but I get it and it's one of the precious few avenues he'll learn this lesson as it sure as shit doesn't happen at school anymore where's it's everybody wins yayyyy, everybody is special yayyyy, you all passed yayyyyyyyy.

At the end of the day, I'm just not open to criticizing volounteer coaches (we're lucky to have the three we do, they're all hockey people).

That's probably why we don't lose to Slovenia. hahahaha

But seriously, it's even worse than you think. Jack just turned 9, the rest of the league is pretty much 7 and 8 year olds. And, it's fuckin house league!

I don't generally agree with it, my dad (whose coached every level of hockey out there, and is heavily invested in Jack's hockey) thinks it's insane, and my wife is a woman so obviously she thinks it's dumb but I get it and it's one of the precious few avenues he'll learn this lesson as it sure as shit doesn't happen at school anymore where's it's everybody wins yayyyy, everybody is special yayyyy, you all passed yayyyyyyyy.

At the end of the day, I'm just not open to criticizing volounteer coaches (we're lucky to have the three we do, they're all hockey people).

It is absolutely insane to bench 8-9 year old kids in house league. The only reason to do it is to pump the coaches tires so he can walk around and take credit for a teams wins. Dumb, dumb and dumb.

It is absolutely insane to bench 8-9 year old kids in house league. The only reason to do it is to pump the coaches tires so he can walk around and take credit for a teams wins. Dumb, dumb and dumb.

Not that I disagree, but house league in Canada is not the same as the house leagues in the US.

Not that I disagree, but house league in Canada is not the same as the house leagues in the US.

Didn't consider that since I'm not familiar with their house leagues.

One similarity, at least down here in Raleigh, is that house leagues have abandoned body checking at all levels. It definitely has kept some kids in the game that otherwise would have stopped playing.

Didn't consider that since I'm not familiar with their house leagues.

One similarity, at least down here in Raleigh, is that house leagues have abandoned body checking at all levels. It definitely has kept some kids in the game that otherwise would have stopped playing.

I believe it’s the same up here too. Kids that can barely skate shouldn’t be allowed to hit other kids that could barely skate.