• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Filip Chytil to 2-Year/$4.6M Extension; $2.3M AAV

Phil

They were wrong not to, 2 years ago.

And to your previous point, I think they could have had him for 4-5 years at 4 million if that was negotiated a little more strategically. Assuming Bucnevich didn't have the moster season that he had last season, and only had sustained 45-50 point production; 4 million is a straight out bargain for a 26 year old enetering their prime.

This idea that the Rangers needed to make minutes for Kaako, Kravtsov, & Lafreneire would have been absurd as well. Do you think Tampa was saying that they needed to make room for Cirelli when they had Stamkos & Point in front of him? No. The minute that someone like a Kreider or a Buchnevich falls off in sustained production is when the kids should be given their opportunity.

I am going to go absolutely nuts if a 30 year old Kreider is gifted a top 6 spot this season when he pulls his annual 15 game disappearing act under Gallant, instead of being utilized in attempt to create a "league best" third line like Tampa had last year. Kreider-Goodrow-Kaako could be flat out dangerous if they can play a heavy forecheck game.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And to your previous point, I think they could have had him for 4-5 years at 4 million if that was negotiated a little more strategically. Assuming Bucnevich didn't have the moster season that he had last season, and only had sustained 45-50 point production; 4 million is a straight out bargain for a 26 year old enetering their prime.

This idea that the Rangers needed to make minutes for Kaako, Kravtsov, & Lafreneire would have been absurd as well. Do you think Tampa was saying that they needed to make room for Cirelli when they had Stamkos & Point in front of him? No. The minute that someone like a Kreider or a Buchnevich falls off in sustained production is when the kids should be given their opportunity.

I am going to go absolutely nuts if a 30 year old Kreider is gifted a top 6 spot this season when he pulls his annual 15 game disappearing act under Gallant, instead of being utilized in attempt to create a "league best" third line like Tampa had last year. Kreider-Goodrow-Kaako could be flat out dangerous if they can play a heavy forecheck game.

I think Kreider is in the top 6 to start, but I don't think he'll be immune to be moved down to the 3rd line if he becomes disengaged for a lengthy period of time, as has largely been the case in the past.

The only players you give long-term deals to or no brainers, you bridge everybody else.

Chytil isn't a no-brainer. He's a "I don't know what you are and you're gonna have to show me".

If he blows up next season, extend him the following January.

Yup. I've done a complete 180° on this. I'm all in on the Lamorielloism of if you have time, use it. Anything less than sure thing I'm waiting for a larger sample size. Cale Makar? No problem. Filip Chytil? Wait and see. Even if it costs me more later. I'd rather pay market rate for something I know and can trust than hope I don't get burned paying danger zone value for someone who stops evolving.

I have a new attitude with Kreider this season...

I'm willing to forget all the bullshit before, with the disappearing acts and whatnot. This is now the "Gallant Era" and what was...WAS!

Now it's time to get his shit in gear and light a fire under this guy's ass to make him what he CAN be: A FUCKING BEAST!

I think come the playoffs, this is EXACTLY the type guy we'll need to win! If Kreider can prosper under Gallant, we all win! ...and it's going to be fun to watch! .

• Like 1

Yup. I've done a complete 180° on this. I'm all in on the Lamorielloism of if you have time, use it. Anything less than sure thing I'm waiting for a larger sample size. Cale Makar? No problem. Filip Chytil? Wait and see. Even if it costs me more later. I'd rather pay market rate for something I know and can trust than hope I don't get burned paying danger zone value for someone who stops evolving.

Normally I agree, but I think with Chytil its a bit different.

The "problem" with him is that he's not suited to play 3rd line C, so either he moves to wing or he progresses to be a legit top 6C.

Had they locked him up for, lets say, 4x4m:

1. He improves a lot and turns into a legit 2C. We now have a 2C signed for 3 more years at 4m.

2. He doesnt improve as hoped, and they trade him at the deadline or next summer. He's still a decent middle 6 C/W that wouldnt be hard to trade.

(So either Chytil signed to a really good contract or he's gone)

But with his current contract its either:

1. He improves and prices himselves out (or they have to sign him to something like 6m+ in two years).

2. He doesnt improve and they need to let him walk in two years.

(Here its either giving him a market value contract in two years or he's gone)

The way things are with this contract I dont see any way they can keep him after these two years (unless he improves drastically defensively and can turn into a 3rd liner, not very likely tho).

But they just did this with Buchnevich and deemed him unsignable. What makes Chytil any different?

Look, I wouldn't have signed Buch to a longer deal 2 years ago. I really didn't like his game back then. So I can't argue that they should have done it back then. Yet, I see a lot more skill and potential in Chytil, and I would have no problem going the route you USED TO take, on such matters. Where it was to take that that risk and figure it out later, sighting that any contract is tradeable when it's a young player.

Waiting and waiting till the last second decide on a player resulted in walking away from a guy that just found his game and produced on his own ( meaning he wasn't carried by anyone).

I think with the situation at center being so very up in the air, they needed to take a small risk in giving term to the guy with potential. I mean they just gave term to a sandpaper bottom 6 guy. Why not the only center with top 6 potential in the organization that isn't set for a massive payday or a potential bidding war as a UFA at the end of this season?

Meh. I just think it's more complicated than a hard no on the idea.

I don't know where this narrative came from that he isn't suited for center. I mean I'm sure he'd do well on the wing too, but has anyone who has worked with Chytil said he wasn't a center? This idea has seemingly taken over this board.
Larry said it. He's a smart guy.