• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Expected to Sign [D] Patrik Nemeth in Free Agency

If cheaper then fine. Smith, for all his shortcomings, was very versatile for us. His last year impressed me a bit. Not saying I’d prefer Smith, but I don’t see this as too much of a difference, even from a 7th d perspective that will probably play a lot more due to injury.

I don't hate Smith as a 7th d. I liked him last year for what he was. But I imagine he's not looking to be a spare part, which is probably why they cut him loose.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? This is a counting chickens move.

If this happens they are saying to Jones that he has no spot on this team. This guy has been around for 8 years and hasn't done squat. There's bigger and meaner players available that you don't have to assure a spot to.

They are hitching their wagon to Lundkvist before he even plays a game. Jones didn't look bad at all in his short time here, but they seem to have made a decision already..

I'm putting all trust in Gallant, but I feel like Drury is wasting cap space on players he shouldn't be.

Why? This is a counting chickens move.

If this happens they are saying to Jones that he has no spot on this team. This guy has been around for 8 years and hasn't done squat. There's bigger and meaner players available that you don't have to assure a spot to.

They are hitching their wagon to Lundkvist before he even plays a game. Jones didn't look bad at all in his short time here, but they seem to have made a decision already..

I'm putting all trust in Gallant, but I feel like Drury is wasting cap space on players he shouldn't be.

Honestly? Who? And specifically who among them can actually play defense? Nemeth is a higher end defensive defenseman.

Here's the list of players taller than Nemeth and also UFA D:

Chara

Tinordi

Hamilton

Gudbranson

Coburn

McIlrath

Hakanpaa

Petrovic

Forbort

Alt

Dahlstrom

Sbisa

Here's your list of heavier:

Chara

McIlrath

Dahlstrom

Hamilton

Savard

Who strikes your fancy here at 2.5M a year or less? Bringing in the Undertaker for round 2 of fucking us over? Wondering if Zdeno Chara will continue losing his battle against Father Time? Taking a flyer on Dahlstrom - a guy who hasn't played an NHL game in nearly 20 months? Looking up Alt and Tinordi to remember who they are?

Let's be realistic here - we needed a big, solid, stay-at-home LD. We got one for a reasonable price. Jones is probably due a years seasoning in the AHL regardless.

Good signing by Drury.

Honestly? Who? And specifically who among them can actually play defense? Nemeth is a higher end defensive defenseman.

Chara

Tinordi

Hamilton

Gudbranson

Coburn

McIlrath

Hakanpaa

Petrovic

Forbort

Alt

Dahlstrom

Sbisa

Chara

McIlrath

Dahlstrom

Hamilton

Savard

Who strikes your fancy here at 2.5M a year or less? Bringing in the Undertaker for round 2 of fucking us over? Wondering if Zdeno Chara will continue losing his battle against Father Time? Taking a flyer on Dahlstrom - a guy who hasn't played an NHL game in nearly 20 months? Looking up Alt and Tinordi to remember who they are?

Let's be realistic here - we needed a big, solid, stay-at-home LD. We got one for a reasonable price. Jones is probably due a years seasoning in the AHL regardless.

Good signing by Drury.

I think the answer there is pretty obvious

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/6b07b04fd8cbcc4c8edb1d79ae222a96e0c5cd33/r=342x400/local/-/media/2016/10/13/Westchester/wp-TJN-RangersReport-188535-mcilrath-first-goal.jpg?width=660&disable=upscale&format=pjpg&auto=webp

A lotta Red Wings fans and Avalanche fans surprised Nemeth getting the deal he is, and saying that we should fear for any time he touches the puck or attempts to pass. I know the internet is a cesspool of negative opinions, but where there's smoke...

Good thing they're not signing him to move the puck then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think the answer there is pretty obvious

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/6b07b04fd8cbcc4c8edb1d79ae222a96e0c5cd33/r=342x400/local/-/media/2016/10/13/Westchester/wp-TJN-RangersReport-188535-mcilrath-first-goal.jpg?width=660&disable=upscale&format=pjpg&auto=webp

I can hear the music right now.

Paul Bearer is walking down the aisle with the urn!

Let’s do it!

I see some people on Twitter livid that they signed (will sign) Nemeth because it steals a spot from Jones.

For starters, we are allowed to have spots on the roster that aren’t giving to prospects at every turn. Veteran presence is needed and was sorely lacking last season. And secondly, Jones can definitely use some AHL time. I don’t see the hurt in this whatsoever.

Chara

Tinordi

Hamilton

Gudbranson

Coburn

McIlrath

Hakanpaa

Petrovic

Forbort

Alt

Dahlstrom

Sbisa

Chara

McIlrath

Dahlstrom

Hamilton

Savard

Good signing by Drury.

Zadorov is available.

Smith is tougher and more versatile.

Ian Cole is meaner

David Savard is a big dude, who's won and lost so he's got leadership.

Montour is a hard nosed guy

Shenn

Stone

And I'm sure there's more guys like Nemeth .

There's going to be a lot of non tenders as well as players just being moved.

I'm sorry I never heard of this guy and he's been around for quite a while and dwindling around. I don't think he just now came into his own and got it.. I'd rather give Hajek the fresh start if they are going to bury Jones, whom they just HAD to sign and burn a ELC year and will now take away another year of that.

Lundkvist better be Fox 2.0, because they sure are clearing a path for him.

Zadorov is available.

Smith is tougher and more versatile.

Ian Cole is meaner

David Savard is a big dude, who's won and lost so he's got leadership.

Montour is a hard nosed guy

Shenn

Stone

And I'm sure there's more guys like Nemeth .

There's going to be a lot of non tenders as well as players just being moved.

I'm sorry I never heard of this guy and he's been around for quite a while and dwindling around. I don't think he just now came into his own and got it.. I'd rather give Hajek the fresh start if they are going to bury Jones, whom they just HAD to sign and burn a ELC year and will now take away another year of that.

Lundkvist better be Fox 2.0, because they sure are clearing a path for him.

Zadorov will get way more and will require a trade.

Smith is thirty pounds lighter, 3 years older, and nowhere near as defensively responsible as Nemeth.

Ian Cole will get closer to 3.5+

Savard might make near triple Nemeth given this stupid market.

Montour is tiny. Doesn't meet the need.

Schenn is awful.

Michael Stone is awful.

In one breath you're screaming about wasted cap and in the next you're asking for Nikita Zadorov and David Savard. In the next breath you're complaining about a lack of size, and seconds later you're asking for Brandon Montour and Brendan Smith. Shit, if you want to complain about giving kids a crack, complain that we didn't just QO Rykov, who is roughly Nemeth's size and plays his same position. Like - what exactly do you want here?

You're just throwing names out of a hat to be angry at Drury because you like being angry at Drury for literally anything and don't want to accept that this is a straightforward, no-brainer of a move that fills a very clear need because that implies giving Drury credit.

• Like 1

Zadorov will get way more and will require a trade.

Smith is thirty pounds lighter, 3 years older, and nowhere near as defensively responsible as Nemeth.

Ian Cole will get closer to 3.5+

Savard might make near triple Nemeth given this stupid market.

Montour is tiny. Doesn't meet the need.

Schenn is awful.

Michael Stone is awful.

In one breath you're screaming about wasted cap and in the next you're asking for Nikita Zadorov and David Savard. In the next breath you're complaining about a lack of size, and seconds later you're asking for Brandon Montour and Brendan Smith. Shit, if you want to complain about giving kids a crack, complain that we didn't just QO Rykov, who is roughly Nemeth's size and plays his same position. Like - what exactly do you want here?

You're just throwing names out of a hat to be angry at Drury because you like being angry at Drury for literally anything and don't want to accept that this is a straightforward, no-brainer of a move that fills a very clear need because that implies giving Drury credit.

Ok, so you just decided that you can think for me. Don't put words in my mouth. I literally like being angry at Drury? Fuck outta here.

As for my list and complaint. I guess you missed the word "meaner", or even the part where I say players they wouldn't have to guarantee a spot to (which obviously didn't represent every name I listed). Wasting cap space was an exaggeration on my part, but this is definitely counting chickens before they hatch.

Completely missing my point that this guy was brought in supposedly to play with Lundkvist. Well, what if Lundkvist needs time in the A? What if Jones plays better than him in camp? What if Jones plays better than Nemeth?

They rushed to sign Jones and get him on the roster last season. I don't see the logic in kick starting his ELC eligibility, to block him with this mediocre, vanilla , guy for 2 years.

"Bury Jones." He's played ten NHL games. Michael Del Zototo had a phenomenal first ten games, too. He's lucky to be pencilled into the lineup.

Lundkvist has played ZERO NHL games and the Rangers just signed his partner/ mentor to a 2 year deal..

As I said, why rush Jones onto the roster last year and Kickstart his ELC, only to block him for 2 years pretty much forcing him to the minors?

Yeah. Fuckin bury.

1, they signed him and butn a year in lieu of giving him any performance bonuses.

2, if he spends the next 2 years in the A, his next deal will be dirt cheap so who cares that his ELC is over?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, because he would LOVE to resign with the Rangers if they keep him in the minors.

I guess he's just going to be traded soon.

What D man is going to play 10 minutes a night? Any D man is guaranteed 15+ and Jones will be learning the pro game.

The AHL teaches a pro game, and will give Jones more opportunity to play in all situations. Jones averaged 0:46 on the PP last season in what we all know was the scraps of the opportunity. With Lundkvist coming in, that'll diminish to 0 for sure. Jones didn't kill penalties at all at the NHL level. I still think top minutes will benefit him, even if it's only for half a season. It worked for McDonagh, it worked for Lindgren, it worked for Skjei.

I agree about 15 minutes versus 10, bad assumption on my part.

The AHL teaches a pro game, and will give Jones more opportunity to play in all situations. Jones averaged 0:46 on the PP last season in what we all know was the scraps of the opportunity. With Lundkvist coming in, that'll diminish to 0 for sure. Jones didn't kill penalties at all at the NHL level. I still think top minutes will benefit him, even if it's only for half a season. It worked for McDonagh, it worked for Lindgren, it worked for Skjei.

I agree about 15 minutes versus 10, bad assumption on my part.

Bingo. It's not "burying" him, it's TEACHING him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok, so you just decided that you can think for me. Don't put words in my mouth. I literally like being angry at Drury? Fuck outta here.

As for my list and complaint. I guess you missed the word "meaner", or even the part where I say players they wouldn't have to guarantee a spot to (which obviously didn't represent every name I listed). Wasting cap space was an exaggeration on my part, but this is definitely counting chickens before they hatch.

Completely missing my point that this guy was brought in supposedly to play with Lundkvist. Well, what if Lundkvist needs time in the A? What if Jones plays better than him in camp? What if Jones plays better than Nemeth?

They rushed to sign Jones and get him on the roster last season. I don't see the logic in kick starting his ELC eligibility, to block him with this mediocre, vanilla , guy for 2 years.

Let's set aside the fact that Jones very obviously needs time in the AHL to adjust and clearly is not ready for the big show yet. Let's also set aside that Hajek - statistically one of the worst defensemen in the NHL last year - should absolutely not get another shot. Let's also set aside that Nemeth answers a clear size and defensive stability issue for us. Let's also set aside that Nemeth and Jones play WILDLY different games and roles, one of which we have in spades, and another of which we don't.

How does Nemeth - a big, stay at home guy - block Jones, a small puckmover? He doesn't. Nemeth doesn't block Jones. He blocks Robertson. If Schneider really can play both sides, he kind of blocks Schneider too. Jones is blocked by the fact that we've got three stellar young PPQBs and Lundkvist is clearly viewed as the can't miss guy behind Fox, another can't miss guy. There are prospect experts who legitimately think Nils Lundkvist is the best defensive prospect not in the NHL. Why are we giving Jones a spot over him?

If you'd want the single most obvious explanation for burning Jones' ELC - why the fuck does he sign here if he spends another year in college? He's an NCAA draftee - his rights expire faster. We lose him for literally nothing if he decides to look at our roster and go "whoa, there's really no room for me". Why lose a good asset for nothing?