• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Expected to Sign [D] Patrik Nemeth in Free Agency

Let's set aside the fact that Jones very obviously needs time in the AHL to adjust and clearly is not ready for the big show yet. Let's also set aside that Hajek - statistically one of the worst defensemen in the NHL last year - should absolutely not get another shot. Let's also set aside that Nemeth answers a clear size and defensive stability issue for us. Let's also set aside that Nemeth and Jones play WILDLY different games and roles, one of which we have in spades, and another of which we don't.

How does Nemeth - a big, stay at home guy - block Jones, a small puckmover? He doesn't. Nemeth doesn't block Jones. He blocks Robertson. If Schneider really can play both sides, he kind of blocks Schneider too. Jones is blocked by the fact that we've got three stellar young PPQBs and Lundkvist is clearly viewed as the can't miss guy behind Fox, another can't miss guy. There are prospect experts who legitimately think Nils Lundkvist is the best defensive prospect not in the NHL. Why are we giving Jones a spot over him?

If you'd want the single most obvious explanation for burning Jones' ELC - why the fuck does he sign here if he spends another year in college? He's an NCAA draftee - his rights expire faster. We lose him for literally nothing if he decides to look at our roster and go "whoa, there's really no room for me". Why lose a good asset for nothing?

I didn't think he looked out of place at all during his stint here last season. He looked like he belonged, but he's just not the right fit for us on the 3rd pair if we are playing Lundkvist.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think he looked out of place at all during his stint here last season. He looked like he belonged, but he's just not the right fit for us on the 3rd pair if we are playing Lundkvist.

I don't think it's of much debate that Jones would be well served with AHL seasoning. He looked invisible - fine for a young defenseman, but not his game.

Regardless, it's not Nemeth blocking Jones. It's Fox and Lundkvist.

I don't think it's of much debate that Jones would be well served with AHL seasoning. He looked invisible - fine for a young defenseman, but not his game.

Regardless, it's not Nemeth blocking Jones. It's Fox and Lundkvist.

He looked alright. Didnt look bad but 10 games isnt much of a sample size. I will say this though, he looks tiny. Like mens league will kick his ass tiny. Hes going to get trucked along the boards one day.

No problem with him or any of the prospects starting in Hartford.

He looked alright. Didnt look bad but 10 games isnt much of a sample size. I will say this though, he looks tiny. Like mens league will kick his ass tiny. Hes going to get trucked along the boards one day.

No problem with him or any of the prospects starting in Hartford.

He's basically the same size as Fox, no?

He'll get the opportunity, along with the other young Rangers' defensemen and anyone they might bring in for depth, to win a spot in camp. With the Rangers' prospect depth on D, those that don't make the big club will have good players in Hartford to play with and develop alongside.

Lundkvist is 21

Jones is 20

Robertson is 20

Skinner is 20

Schneider is 19

At least four of them will likely be in Hartford if not traded. There is also Reunanen at 23 to consider.

Camp will be fun, the consolation for not making the team out of camp is to play on what is shaping up to be a top defensive core in Hartford.

He's basically the same size as Fox, no?

He'll get the opportunity, along with the other young Rangers' defensemen and anyone they might bring in for depth, to win a spot in camp. With the Rangers' prospect depth on D, those that don't make the big club will have good players in Hartford to play with and develop alongside.

Lundkvist is 21

Jones is 20

Robertson is 20

Skinner is 20

Schneider is 19

At least four of them will likely be in Hartford if not traded. There is also Reunanen at 23 to consider.

Camp will be fun, the consolation for not making the team out of camp is to play on what is shaping up to be a top defensive core in Hartford.

That defensive core should put Hartford on the map soon! That's a lot of talent headed our way in short order!! :thumbs:

Put some rocks in his pockets, G!! ;)

motherfucker put lead ingots in his pocket.

We've got what they call a "good problem" on defense that's arriving faster than expected. There's literally no indication that any of these players will be less than we thought they were; the only trending/clear bust out of our young D core so far is Hajek. Lundkvist looks to be real deal. Schneider looks to be better than expected so far. Robertson is exactly what we expected. Jones seems to be trending up. Skinner seems to be trending up. Reunanen is clearly mathed out - and even he trended up from expectation. And that's before we talk about Fox and Lindgren and Miller.

Nemeth is a legit need - we don't have that guy in our pool that can be a space-swallowing meatwad. Schneider and Robertson project more in the two-way mold than the stay-at-home. I like that his contract is reasonably short term and moveable enough if things accelerate, I like that he's made his hay being defensively responsible if offensively non-impactful - we need some of that. The worst case here is that we have to trade a guy with a 2.5M hit that gets jumped in our depth chart faster than expected by Schneider and Robertson.

• Like 1

motherfucker put lead ingots in his pocket.

We've got what they call a "good problem" on defense that's arriving faster than expected. There's literally no indication that any of these players will be less than we thought they were; the only trending/clear bust out of our young D core so far is Hajek. Lundkvist looks to be real deal. Schneider looks to be better than expected so far. Robertson is exactly what we expected. Jones seems to be trending up. Skinner seems to be trending up. Reunanen is clearly mathed out - and even he trended up from expectation. And that's before we talk about Fox and Lindgren and Miller.

Nemeth is a legit need - we don't have that guy in our pool that can be a space-swallowing meatwad. Schneider and Robertson project more in the two-way mold than the stay-at-home. I like that his contract is reasonably short term and moveable enough if things accelerate, I like that he's made his hay being defensively responsible if offensively non-impactful - we need some of that. The worst case here is that we have to trade a guy with a 2.5M hit that gets jumped in our depth chart faster than expected by Schneider and Robertson.

Dead on my man!!!

I love the fact we built a solid defense core with an absolute fuck-ton of options.....and wait.....DEPTH! (be still my heart!!!)

Nemeth, I think fits like a glove. The fact that he plays a ferocious defensive game at that size, and doesn't take a whole lot of penalties is a god send. That's a terrific move by Drury. ..and his contract is very team friendly, and short as you said. It fits the "timeline" very well.

I'm not going to go crazy about Trouba's contract being in the way, because that was signed before the flat cap. But he may very well be the guy who gets passed on the depth chart by Schneider or Robertson. The timeline may just fit to when Trouba's contract changes over to a modified NMC.

Either way, with Fox and Lundqvist running the PP in years to come, we may be hearing that goal song an awful lot!! :rofl: