• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Drury: Naming a Team Captain is "a priority" of Next Steps

Phil

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drury, himself a former Rangers captain, said Tuesday that he wants a captain but that it has to be the right guy and not just a captain for the sake of having one.

He mentioned that some leadership qualities emerged in the second half of last season. Well, in the second half of last season, Trouba was far and wide seen as having grabbed the reins of a leadership role as his game improved — until he was concussed by Matt Martin early in that disastrous back-to-back against the Islanders.

I think Quinn was awaiting a similar situation where a player would grab the bull by the proverbial horns and rise to the captaincy organically. Mika Zibanejad and Chris Kreider were the obvious candidates before Trouba’s rise. Neither was ever named.

Trouba is not only a big leader inside the room, as they say, but his physical style and his ability to play that Gallant style makes him a perfect candidate.

What comes next for the Rangers? Five predictions based on the latest from Chris Drury and Gerard Gallant https://theathletic.com/2669814/2021/06/24/what-comes-next-for-the-rangers-five-predictions-based-on-the-latest-from-chris-drury-and-gerard-gallant/?source=user_shared_article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Things are going so well for Adam now, why upset the apple cart? With the Norris, he's already going to be the new focus of a lot of attention. His play on ice speaks for itself and might lead. Off ice, not the forceful?

Fox isn't a captain. He's a good player, but let's just leave him be.

I hate to do this again, but how do we know? I'll say it until I'm blue in the face: we can argue all we want about measurable things. Who scores goals better, what a guy should get on his next deal, etc. These things are based on things we can literally measure (or are largely based on it). Naming a captain accounts for so many things we never see — how a guy acts/reacts/leads in the dressing room, on the ice, organizing practices, keeping in touch with players in the off-seasons, etc.

I doubt there's a world in which Colorado lets Landeskog walk. Coleman is gonna cost a fortune. I'd rather sign Goodrow.

Colorado is going to be a fun team to watch this offseason. They gave Rantanen the big deal, they're going to have to give one to Makar, and they probably need an 8 digit number in cap space reserved for Mackinnon.

They're so well managed that I wouldn't worry about Landeskog here, but they're going to need to answer quite a few questions.

I hate to do this again, but how do we know? I'll say it until I'm blue in the face: we can argue all we want about measurable things. Who scores goals better, what a guy should get on his next deal, etc. These things are based on things we can literally measure (or are largely based on it). Naming a captain accounts for so many things we never see — how a guy acts/reacts/leads in the dressing room, on the ice, organizing practices, keeping in touch with players in the off-seasons, etc.

Of course. All I’m going off is what they’ve said on tv or what’s been written and the only young player who seems like captain material is Lafreniere. They mentioned his leadership qualities a million times. He’s been a captain before.

Fox has never been mentioned in that way.

One guy I don't see as captain is Trouba, despite it almost looking like it's the direction they may be going. Every time I watch this guy speak, he just doesn't exude captain material. He seems more like a jokester. He's not dominating the ice either, even if he has shown to be important to the team. I dunno...color me unimpressed with Trouba as a potential captain pick.

Kreider, on the other hand, exudes captaincy when he speaks.

Speaking of...

Who do you think the next captain will be, and will he be a placeholder until “Laffy” is ready? — William G.

I think it will be Jacob Trouba, and there won’t be any placeholding about it.

https://theathletic.com/2682282/2021/07/01/should-the-rangers-lock-up-adam-fox-long-term-is-casey-cizikas-a-ufa-fit-more-jack-eichel-trade-talk-mailbag/?source=user_shared_article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lindgren has been in a leadership role everywhere he has played. During those World Juniors in which he was paired with Fox it was said over and over what a great leader he is and how he commands respect inside the locker room with his personality and his play. I doubt they would give it to him but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear some Lindgren for captain talk.
  • Like 1

Trouba gets shit on a lot.. We should not conflate Gorton over paying him versus what he brings to the table on and off the ice, he's a valuable guy.

100%

When he got hurt the team literally folded. I think that was eye opening to a lot of people.

100%

When he got hurt the team literally folded. I think that was eye opening to a lot of people.

I remember watching that game, and the next day in the GDT, I think I said something like the "air went outta the tire" or some shit....after Trouba took that hit from Martin and left the game.

I can't find the quote but I remember it well, 31!

I wouldn't mind Trouba with the "C". I think he'd be a pretty good choice....we could surely do worse! LOL